New Statewide advocacy group, PA Walks and Bikes, seeks an Executive Director to continue its rapid growth
PA Walks & Bikes was formed in March of 2008 to create healthy, sustainable communities across Pennsylvania by making bicycling and walking safer, more convenient and more enjoyable. In our first year, we organized Pennsylvania’s first Biking and Walking Summit, worked with national, state, regional and local organizations to promote pro bicyclist and pedestrian legislation and policies, received a grant to establish and lead a statewide network of Safe Routes to School programs, recruited 200 dues-paying members and were awarded a $30,000 Alliance for Biking and Walking start up grant.
The Executive Director, reporting to the Board of Directors, will lead that growth and organizational building, adding staff and programs as funding allows.
Specific duties include:
- Fundraising and development via membership programs, and by harvesting major donors, sponsors, and grants – as well as exploring new funding venues
- Leading the PA Safe Routes to School network to bring together advocacy groups, government agencies, and other leaders to improve policies and promote local programs
- Establishing and harvesting relationships with local, regional, state, and national legislative and government executives and with complementary organizations
- Representing and promoting the interests of Pennsylvania walkers and bicyclists on state and national legislative issues
- Developing statewide awareness and communications via the website, social media and press relationships
- Meeting the goals as jointly agreed to by the Executive Director and the Board
The executive director will be expected to spend several days a month working in Harrisburg. There will be travel across Pennsylvania as well as to national conferences and meetings. The job can be based at the offices of the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia, in Harrisburg or elsewhere in Pennsylvania.
If you are a self-starter and interested in leading and growing this nonprofit organization, send an email indicating your qualifications and accomplishments in the above areas and your passion for our mission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered until the position is filled, with priority given to applications received by May 5.
Hans van Naerssen, Board Chair
PA Walks and Bikes
Not a member of BikePGH? Join today! We need you to add your voice! Bike Pittsburgh works to protect cyclist’s rights and promote the vision of making Pittsburgh a safer and more enjoyable place to live and to ride. For more info, check out: www.bike-pgh.org/membership
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.