Since 2008 BikePGH’s Bike Friendly Employer program has built a supportive and diverse network of Pittsburgh businesses who recognize the potential that bicycling poses for employee health, corporate sustainability, and economic growth by attracting and retaining talent. We have successfully consulted with more than 60 businesses on providing the facilities and policies that encourage a bike friendly culture at the workplace.
BikePGH has brought local and national recognition to participating businesses for their outstanding efforts, proving that in Pittsburgh: Bikes Mean Business.
See the Bike Friendly Employer Program Outline and Prices for more detailed information on the resources and support we provide.
BikePGH’s Bike Friendly Employer Package
Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office staff
What does it take? Our Bike Friendly Employer program aims to assist businesses with the “4 Es” of what makes for a bike friendly office environment:
The hardware of bike friendliness. We’ll help you learn how to fit bikes and bikers into the office. Whether its bike racks or towel racks, we’ll suggest some of the industry’s best practices for integration into your business.
The support system for people to try biking. Inspire them. Build HR policy to incentivize commuting by bike. Sponsor or promote any number of rides or events in Pittsburgh to let employees know that it’s ok to get out and ride. BikePGH will provide consultation on installing bike parking that works for you.
The knowledge necessary for confident pedaling. You can do it and your co-workers can too. We’ll help by providing the tricks, tips, knowledge and skills needed with our Award Winning Pittsburgh Bike Map, Urban Biking Companion guide, and Urban Biking Forum.
Just how bike friendly is your workplace? We’ll help develop metrics for your business, set goals, and take action to achieve them. You’ll gain Bike Friendly certification at the local and national level, or credit for programs such as LEED, EnergyStar, or the Green Building Alliances’s 2030.
Join the Community of Bike Friendly Employers!
BikePGH’s Certified Bike Friendly Employers
4moms • Aero Tech Design • ALCOSAN • Allegheny County’s Kane Region Center • Allegheny County’s Medical Examiner’s Office • BNY Mellon • Chatham University • Confluence • Deeplocal • East End Food Coop • evolveEA • Fukui Architects • Google Pittsburgh • Green Building Alliance • Kelly Strayhorn Theater • Mullen • Oakland Planning and Development Corporation • OTB Bicycle Cafe • pairNetworks • Pashek and Associates • Penn Brewery • The Priory Hotel • REI South Side Works • Rotating Mass Media • Strada • Student Conservation Association • The Sprout Fund • Whole Foods Market • Zero Fossil
Businesses pursuing Bike Friendly Employer certification
Steps for Local & National Bike Friendly Certification
- Review Program Outline & Price Sheet, pay appropriate program fees, and BikePGH will come to your location to conduct a site visit and establish a baseline of your business’ bike friendly infrastructure and policy.
- We will then draft your business a Bicycle Action Plan that inventories existing resources and outlines turn-key action items for improvement.
- BikePGH will provide ongoing support with our resources, experience, and communications to help you implement your action plan.
- Once your business meets our criteria, we’ll recognize you as a Local BikePGH Bike Friendly Employer with a listing on our website, press release, certificate, and trophy (yes theres a trophy).
- Finally, we’ll help you with an application for National Bike Friendly Business certification from the League of American Bicyclists.
For more in-depth information on program services and prices, see our Bike Friendly Employer Program Outline.
- Engineering: You can order bike racks through BikePGH, and we’ll consult you on the best solution. Review the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals’ Bicycle Parking Guidelines to learn the nuts and bolts of choosing quality bike parking.
- Encouragement: see the League of American Bicyclist’s guide to extending the IRS Bike Commuter Transportation Fringe Benefit to employees, or check out how REI Pittsburgh incentives their employees to ride.
- Education: Connect employees with BikePGH’s educational resources: Pittsburgh Bike Map for safe commuting routes, Urban Biking Companion guide to help with biking’s basics
- Evaluation: Conduct a workplace transportation survey to find out employee commuting trends, like this one given to all Allegheny County Employees
Contact BFE@BikePGH.org to find out more.