BikePGH!

2 for 2!!! PGH police make arrest in South Side bicyclist stabbing

This topic contains 125 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  jonawebb 2 days, 10 hrs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

Author Posts
Author Posts

bikeygirl

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:03pm #

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/police-make-arrest-in-bicyclist-stabbing-659176/?fb_comment_id=fbc_132597053555097_219945_132598413554961#f394204548

HiddenVariable

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:10pm #

wow, amazing news! i wonder how they found him.

bikeygirl

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:16pm #

I know! I wanna know more!

Adam

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:18pm #

Ironically I saw a guy standing outside of my office building yesterday that looked a lot like that police sketch, and I have been thinking since the moment I saw the sketch that I know of a guy who looks just like that…

I am not one to go calling the cops just because I see a guy who kinda looks like a drawing, and nothing else to go on — but the fact I thought of that yesterday after seeing the guy and then seeing this article today makes me wonder!

Ironic things happen to me every single day, so I hope they release a name/photo of the suspect.

buffalo buffalo

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:20pm #

They found him because he was already in jail: http://www.pghcitypaper.com/Blogh/archives/2012/10/25/arrest-made-in-south-side-cyclist-attack

the beast

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:26pm #

My guess is the guy bragged while locked up and a prison snitch is now eating an extra serving of ramen noodles.

Marko82

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:32pm #

there is a pic on wpxi site

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/police-man-accused-slashing-bicyclists-throat-sout/nSndL/

jonawebb

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:43pm #

Amazing. I had more hopes they would catch this guy than the guy who killed James Price, but this is really great — two killers or attempted killers caught in a few weeks. I just sent a thankyou to the police — if you want to thank them yourself the webform is at http://pittsburghpa.gov/police/contacts.htm.

Anonymous

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 7:50pm #

Thank goodness! Great job Pittsburgh Police.

Jacob McCrea

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 8:10pm #

Great job indeed by the police. Not to diminish the officers’ work, but I was surprised to read in the PG article that this guy will be charged with aggravated assault and reckless endangerment. Hopefully the PG has this wrong as it certainly sounds like a case of attempted murder to me!

pgrenin

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 8:59pm #

Why is he NOT being charged with attempted murder?

steevo

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 9:15pm #

When myself and some friends were attacked

and one was stabbed a bunch, the DA explained

that aggravated assault > attempted murder

because if you just shoot AT somebody it is

attempted murder, and AA means that you made

contact. This is what I remember anyway

scott

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 9:21pm #

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Aggravated+Assault

“Attempted murder, is when you attempted to kill someone and the person did not die.

Aggravated assault is attacking another person for the intent purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily harm to that person.

I believe it all depends, on who the judge is, who is individuals involved are, motive, if it premeditated, etc.”

spakbros

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 9:29pm #

Sometimes they charge with a lesser charge knowing it will stick in court as opposed to the maximum charge, that a good lawyer will get thrown out right away.

chemicaldave

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 9:31pm #

Here’s a good explanation of the difference between aggravated assault vs attempted murder and why a DA might chose AA over AM.

http://www.houstonda.org/houston-county-law-school/why-not-charge-attempted-murder.html

Swalfoort

Private Message

Oct 25 2012 at 11:42pm #

I think it was the City Paper report that said that when the guy was arrested for arson, the West Homestead P.D. thought his photo and car description were close enough to those of Colin’s attacker that the mentioned it to Pittsburgh P.D.

Someone was alert at the West Homestead P.D. earlier this month. To that officer, my sincere thanks. It’s nicr to have this guy off the streets.

Thanks too, of course, to the Pittsburgh P.D. for following up, and actually charging this guy.

salty

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 12:30am #

good news, what a piece of shit.

Anonymous

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 12:57am #

it will be interesting to see how this guy goes through the system with different cases pending. It could be quite a while. If he is convicted of both torching his parents house and the knife attack, he could be sentenced to a long stretch of state time in a very unpleasant prison, I also wonder if he is mentally ill, or if he will at least be examined by a psychiatrist. That is quite a rampage.

Ahlir

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 1:02am #

This news is actually a relief.

Anthony Scholl is a mentally-disturbed individual. He did not attack Colin because Colin was a biker. Scholl attacked him because Scholl, in his rage against other humans, would attack anyone. Fortunately he was found. The city is safer as a result.

As a biker I feel safer because the attacker was not just a part of that larger class of “drivers”: there are fewer psychotics than drivers (well, maybe).

Anonymous

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 2:02am #

I will definitely keep tabs on Scholl as his cases progress. If he goes to trial-things aren’t going anywhere until next summer, maybe later. If he pleads guilty, things could go faster, but not by much. His preliminary hearing on the knife attack should be within the next ten days or so, barring any delays or postponements. Either way, he should not be released in the meantime as he is definitely a threat to the community and a flight risk.

Marko82

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 2:06am #

Video is up:

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/police-man-accused-slashing-bicyclists-throat-sout/nSndL/

bicycle heaven

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 3:10am #

see info on chl 11 news the dick is in jail

sloaps

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 11:59am #

All of things he’s accused of won’t keep him away forever. Best we can hope for is that he’s provided appropriate care for the better. Worst case for everyone is that this guy goes into the system and learns how to cause real mayhem without being caught.

jonawebb

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 12:11pm #

Let’s be realistic. Jail is not a good place for mental health care. The guy may find his way and manage to get socialized, but that’s more likely to be in spite of prison than to be because of it. The important thing is, he’s off the street for now. I feel much better riding, knowing that the two jerks who killed or attempted to kill cyclists recently have both been caught. It’s like, the police have our back.

edmonds59

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 12:48pm #

Scholl is a psychopath. No remorse, no emotions. There’s no treatment for that, no “getting better” anyway. Our society doesn’t have a reasonable way of dealing with those. He’ll go to prison for a while, where he’ll get harder and more dangerous. At some point will probably act the part well enough that he will be allowed back out into society. And some other innocent person will have to be harmed or die before he can be put away again. That’s the way our system is set up.

He’s a broken machine, with no possibility of repair. Cold hard logic tells me society should execute him now, and save a lot of future heartache. But for some reason we can’t do that.

There should be some kind of national database, equivalent to the child abuser listing, for psychopaths. People like this should not be allowed to fall through the cracks. Everybody just got a little lucky this time.

Swalfoort

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 12:55pm #

+1 Ahlir

Glad to know that this was a matter of Colin being in the wrong place at the wrong time, rather than his having been the victim of a targeted assault because he was a cyclist.

Doesn’t help Colin a whole lot, I realize!

Sure hope Colin is doing well!

fjordan

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 1:08pm #

Scholl was also recently charged with a number of felonies for making false statement and altering the serial numbers on a firearm. These are in addition to the arson and assault charges for more recent offenses.

His mother stated that he has psychological issues when Scholl was arrested for burning the family’s house—he allegedly believed that his step-father wanted to murder him and feed him to a pet crocodile. I have no doubt that he is a psychopath, but there are other maladies at work here as well.

That being said, I’m glad he’s off the street. I hope he does get treatment, but I’m skeptical as to whether his conditions are treatable.

jonawebb

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 1:13pm #

To be fair, his step-father really does have an alligator. So… well, it’s a more realistic story than the guy who held up an office in Gateway center a few weeks ago because a crow told him to. I don’t doubt that crows would screw around with people if they could, but they can’t.

I’m not willing to diagnose what’s going on with Scholl based on a few news stories and a brief video. I’m glad he’s off the street, that’s all. Some people do get better in jail; let’s hope Scholl, at least, doesn’t hurt anyone again.

Swalfoort

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 1:16pm #

I am actually very relieved to know that there really was an allligator. The story was so much weirder when I was thinking that the alligator in the basement was imaginary. (Yes, the thought had crossed my mind.)

Anonymous

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 2:08pm #

Keep in mind that he can still be convicted and suffer from mental illness. Remember the Baumhammers and Taylor cases in Allegheny County? No dispute that both were mentally ill at the time they committed horrible crimes. They both were put in hospitals and given medication until they were competent to go to trial. Both were given the death penalty. In Baumhammers, three different psychiatrists examined him for the state and all found him psychotic and unstable. Taylor was diagnosed with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses. Both were put in Mayview and given medication until they were declared competent. Yet, they still went to trial, were convicted and are on death row.

I am not saying this is right or wrong-it is what happened. Scholl could be convicted even if he has serious issues. Pretty wild.

Mick

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 5:22pm #

The alligator, living in West Homestead ramshackle place, is 10 feet long.

That says something about Mr Scholl’s background environment.

The fact is, if someone who, like Scholl’s mother, lives in a shack with a 10 foot crocodilian says you have “mental issues,” then probably either they are delusional themselves or they are seriously understating it. Like being called a pothead by a Rasta.

cburch

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 9:11pm #

hey now, my best friend had a pet alligator for years (he got sick and died this summer). you sure do like to make a lot of assumptions about people.

cdavey

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 9:31pm #

Yeah, it’s like being able to go through life assuming that graphic artists are all weird. At least they’re better than attorneys and used car salesman, who are indistingushable from each other even after you clean the sleaze off them. :)

Mick

Private Message

Oct 26 2012 at 11:25pm #

cburch you sure do like to make a lot of assumptions about people.

No assumptions. Just a probability.

bicycle heaven

Private Message

Oct 27 2012 at 4:01am #

Lets give him a few pills,give him another chance let him out and let him do it again,then we can say he was a Psychopath more than once.No i bet when he did the shit deal on that poor bike rider he knew just what we was doing and thats why he ran,,,,i hate this bull shit,,,,if you cant do the time dont do the crime,,another thing if he thought the crocodile was going to kill him why dident he stab the crock,,,,sounds like a bunch of crock crap

Pierce

Private Message

Oct 27 2012 at 1:25pm #

@cburch

I think there’s something to be said of the mentality of people who keep wild animals confined, and perhaps even more so for large ones

cburch

Private Message

Oct 27 2012 at 5:30pm #

Dude. We get it. Go pee in someone else’s Cheerios.

Pierce

Private Message

Oct 27 2012 at 5:41pm #

Colin, I think you get it least of all

reddan

Private Message

Oct 27 2012 at 9:48pm #

Let’s not jump to conclusions on things we know nothing about, m’kay?

Just as an example, I used to care for a large Burmese python, who I adopted because the current owner was unable/unwilling to continue to take care of it. (When we had our first child, I in turn passed him on to a reptile refuge in Monroeville.) Personally, I felt that was a better choice than, say, releasing him in Frick or re-enacting the dinner menu from Temple of Doom.

Looking down on those who keep animals, without any knowledge or understanding of why they do so, seems a bit presumptuous. And not even remotely pertinent.

Greasefoot

Private Message

Oct 27 2012 at 10:29pm #

Sonny Crockett was a well respected Metro-Dade Police detective. He had a 10ft alligator named Elvis. It was his beloved pet and watch dog and no one ever accused him of having metal issues.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.