BikePGH!

2013 Dirty Dozen Training Rides

This topic contains 78 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Lou M. 7 mos, 4 weeks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

Author Posts
Author Posts

stefb

Private Message

Sep 7 2013 at 8:57pm #

It is that time of year again. Jim Logan and I will be leading these. These are no drop training rides. We will follow the course, cutting out Rialto again, as the bottom portion is missing and dangerous (and pointless) to attempt. We usually pause at the bottom of the hills to explain what to expect, wait at the top of hills, and have a neutral rollout between hills. The event is the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

We will meet at 8am on Sundays at the Golden Triangle Bike Rental near the downtown portion of the Jail Trail.

October 6: Center Ave/Guyasuta Road, Ravine Street/Sharps Hill Road, and Berryhill Road

October 13: High Street/Seavy Road, Logan Street, and Suffolk/Hazelton/Burgess Streets

October 20: Sycamore Street, Canton Avenue, and Boustead Street

October 27: Welsh Way, Barry/Holt/Eleanor Streets, and Flowers Avenue/Kilbourne Street/Tesla Street

November 3: Center Ave/Guyasuta Road, Ravine Street/Sharps Hill Road, Berryhill Road, High Street/Seavy Road, Logan Street, and Suffolk/Hazelton/Burgess Streets

November 10: Sycamore Street, Canton Avenue, Boustead Street, Welsh Way, Barry/Holt/Eleanor Streets, and Flowers Avenue/Kilbourne Street/Tesla Street

November 17: As many hills as we feel like doing. Some of us did them all last year.

November 30: Event day.

For detailed info, please see the Chewman’s website: http://www.dannychew.com/dd.html

HiddenVariable

Private Message

Sep 8 2013 at 12:09am #

i was just thinking about this earlier today, wondering when it would be time to start. i generally hate fall: the quick death of summer, and the slow onslaught of winter; but this is something to look forward to (potentially in dread, but still).

edmonds59

Private Message

Sep 8 2013 at 7:20am #

^…the onset of perpetual darkness, the cold pissy winter sun, the idiotic 3 month “holiday season”… I’m glad to hear someone else feels like I do.

jonawebb

Private Message

Sep 8 2013 at 12:48pm #

Too bad, Sundays again. I thought they were going to be Saturdays this year.

Mikhail

Private Message

Sep 8 2013 at 4:51pm #

jonawebb wrote:Too bad, Sundays again. I thought they were going to be Saturdays this year.

Jon, noone can prevent you from leading Saturday Series of the same (or different order) rides. I think both Steff and Jim would gladly add Saturday Series to the calendar.

stefb

Private Message

Sep 8 2013 at 5:18pm #

Sorry, Sundays work out best for us. Like Mikhail said, you can lead rides on Saturday. The gpx file can be found with a google search.

byogman

Private Message

Sep 8 2013 at 7:17pm #

I’m going to try and make as many of these as possible.

sarapgh2

Private Message

Sep 9 2013 at 9:14am #

I’ll be there. Already in training for the training:( Apparently I am out of condition.

JaySherman5000

Private Message

Sep 9 2013 at 9:54am #

This is relevant to my interests…

I only hope I can convince @LizziMac to join the “fun”…

james.a

Private Message

Sep 9 2013 at 10:20am #

Will be in attendance for at least a couple. Might even break out the carbon for additional fun-makings and general jackassery.

byogman

Private Message

Sep 9 2013 at 10:24am #

sarapgh2 wrote:I’ll be there. Already in training for the training:( Apparently I am out of condition.

Yeah, me too. Didnt pit so many miles in in August and it shows. I plan on trying to escape the office and have my lunch on one of the overlooks from grandview whenever possible to train back up.

Ted

Private Message

Sep 9 2013 at 10:58am #

I would like to come to these, but 8am is pretty early for me. I will try to make it at least once. Would anyone else be interested in a 10am or later start, either Saturdays or Sundays?

jonawebb

Private Message

Sep 9 2013 at 11:05am #

10 am Saturday sounds great to me. I don’t want to lead the ride, having never made it up some of the hills, but I’ll be happy to join.

stefb

Private Message

Sep 9 2013 at 11:36am #

We’ll see if I can still make it up all of them. canton takes me a few tries cause I spin out.

myddrin

Private Message

Sep 10 2013 at 7:51am #

So will there be 2 separate sessions? One Sat at 8AM and the other Sunday at 10?

Not saying I’ll be there — or that I would actually attempt the DD, but I do have my last century of the year in late Oct and sounds like this would be good training.

jonawebb

Private Message

Sep 10 2013 at 7:59am #

No, no. We’re talking about training rides. The Dirty Dozen itself is always the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

myddrin

Private Message

Sep 10 2013 at 8:54am #

jonawebb wrote:No, no. We’re talking about training rides. The Dirty Dozen itself is always the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I’m trying to figure out the schedule for the training rides, sorry if my wording was confusing. The initial post from stefb says Saturday at 8, but it looks like it changed to Sunday at 10?

jonawebb

Private Message

Sep 10 2013 at 9:39am #

Stefb & Jim’s rides are Sundays at 8. There’s no change there.
There is also talk of training rides Saturday at 10, but that’s not confirmed yet. I hope it will be.

byogman

Private Message

Sep 10 2013 at 10:03am #

If anyone wants to do Grandview lunch as training, I’ll be doing that starting 11:30 today, and maybe semi-frequently.

Not as a ride leader mind you, I expect to bring up the rear esp if I try to get cute and bring the folding chair (on the fence, last time I tried that I didn’t make the hill).

Start: downtown just outside the Starbucks on the side of the omni william penn on oliver avenue:

My Route (again, not a leader, do what you want): R Grant, R Ft. Pitt Blvd, L smithfield street bridge, L carson, R (barely) Arlington, R sycamore, R Wyoming, R Grandview, lunch from last overlook before McCardle. R McArdle, L Arlington, L (barely) Carson, R Smithfield street bridge, cont Smithfield st, R to start on Oliver Ave.

Maybe doing this tomorrow, too, weather permitting (light sprinkling fine, real rain, nah).

byogman

Private Message

Sep 10 2013 at 11:26am #

Humid today, sadly no sprinkling to cool it down, just tried to crank it really steady.

But
first training ride training ride
under the belt.

Tomorrow looks wet potentially, but I’ll try to give it go again, if someone wants to join, PM me (or gmail me if you have already).

And if I’m the only one who wants to run out in the middle of the work day and sweaty, I certainly understand that, but it was fun.

jimlogan

Private Message

Sep 23 2013 at 9:45pm #

jonawebb wrote:Too bad, Sundays again. I thought they were going to be Saturdays this year.

Sorry Jon. With my new business, I can’t give up that many Saturdays in a row. We open at noon on Sundays, so Sunday rides won’t impact my business as much.

stefb

Private Message

Sep 24 2013 at 7:18am #

And I just like Sunday mornings.

stefb

Private Message

Oct 5 2013 at 2:24pm #

Top. This is happening tomorrow even if it is raining.

tsmith

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 5:41am #

I live in Mercer PA, Would like to ride the Dirty Dozen. Is this training ride open to all.

byogman

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 6:09am #

Yes.

tsmith

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 9:44am #

thank you

stefb

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 10:23am #

Nice ride. Thanks to all who came out. Great job. Bring your climbing legs for next week!

byogman

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 7:17pm #

Was fun, screamingly type 2 for me on the “easy” bonus hill.
Tips for avoiding cramps appreciated.

RustyRed

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 8:43pm #

byogman wrote:

Magnesium might help.

stefb

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 8:46pm #

I thought you were muttering “crap!” Instead of “cramp,” over and over

byogman

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 9:52pm #

Nah, but something stronger may have snuck in there after the transition from climbing to using the bike just so I could stay upright after failing the first attempt at a Frankenstein walk.

pbeaves

Private Message

Oct 6 2013 at 11:28pm #

i saw ya’ll this mornig before the ride started, but i was late for work and kind of blasted by like a bat out of hell.

next week i should have enough time to say howdy.

jimlogan

Private Message

Oct 7 2013 at 8:37pm #

RustyRed wrote:

byogman wrote:

Magnesium might help.

1. Save every heartbeat. Go as slow as possible. Stay aerobic as much as possible.
2. Weight matters. This is one of the few times in cycling that weight actually matters. I can feel the difference between my steel and carbon bikes on steeps. On the other hand, weight helps training.
3. The nutritionists say sodium more than magnesium. I get both from Hammer Endurolytes when I need them. Electrolytes are my #1 supplement for improving my performance.
4. Refuel before you need it. The right time to refuel (and supplement) is immediately after a climb, so your body can take in the material when it isn’t under stress. However, you need less than you expect with these short high intensity bursts.

PS: I violated one of the basic rules of leading rides (don’t extend rides) with the bonus hill. My only defense is that my house is on top of hill 4, and I didn’t think I would drag the entire ride with me.

byogman

Private Message

Oct 7 2013 at 8:53pm #

Yeah, didn’t refuel early enough that’s for sure. Drank some more water and crammed a banana in my mouth at the base of the fourth hill. Mind you I’d been cramping a little ever since the top of third hill. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

As for the heavy beater of a bike, I think I’m going to have to wait a little longer to get my road rocket. I’d do well to get myself back at regular riding weight and condition… was off the bike more often than not through all the high holidays which did bad things on both fronts.

neilmd

Private Message

Oct 23 2013 at 9:21am #

I have a training question. I doubt I’ll go on the actual DD this year — I’m too old and unfit — but I do love climbing and want to learn as many of the DD hills as possible.

I’m 50, 6’2″ 160# and ride a carbon bike most of the time. I like to climb seated as much as possible so I have a compact 50/34 crankset and an 11-32 cassette. Anything less than about 17% I can just take my time and “spin” on up in the 34:32 more or less forever. I’ve gotten quite comfortable with Flowers/Killbourne/Tesla; I start almost every weekend ride with it. I just take my sweet time up Killbourne to stay rested. I climb the first part of Tesla seated in 34:28 until just after Prescott St where there is sort of a “false flat” (I think it dips down to about 15% for a few meters) just before the really steep section. I downshift to 34:25 and stand for the steep stretch from there to Indus St. The whole Tesla part of the climb (to the water tank) takes about 1:40 and I’m going about 6mph. I’m pretty gassed by the top.

I have in mind for training to stay seated the whole way and just shift to the 34:32 and also to work my way down to standing in 34:22. I can stand in the 34:32 but it is awfully hard to keep anything approaching a smooth pedal stroke … more like climbing stairs while doing a track stand … so I would rather leave that for emergencies.

Anyway, given that little personal history, does anybody have a sort of list of the DD hills from least to most difficult (considering my “abilities”)? I have dug up a few gps maps of the DD that appear to match my grade data on Tesla (my gps gives a max reading of about 23% on Tesla, but it averages — I’m pretty sure the steepest 30m or so is more like 25%), but personal experience can tell more than data sometimes. One other note is that I tend to be on 23mm tires at 120#, and that seems like a really bad idea on cobble stones.

jonawebb

Private Message

Oct 23 2013 at 9:41am #

http://cyclingfusion.com/fanatics/images/DirtyDozenGradePower.pdf gives the hill grades.
I’d say the hardest hills are Logan, Canton of course, and Barry-Holt-Eleanor. Flowers-Tesla is hard mainly because it comes at the end, though that steep patch is tricky.
In my so-called training this year I’ve been able to make it up Tesla by slaloming (which I guess I can get away with because there won’t be many people around me by that time) and up Logan by weighting the front of my bike. I’m going to try Canton next.

byogman

Private Message

Oct 23 2013 at 2:10pm #

It continually amazes me what some people consider unfit.

OK, back on point… neilmd, I know you said you don’t want cobbles, but the cobbled section is more insult to injury on Suffolk than a real part of what makes it difficult (unless you’re racing it) because it’s at a really gentle grade. So do keep that one in the list to try.

Outside of the dozen, Dornbush street is on my personal to-do list.

neilmd

Private Message

Oct 23 2013 at 4:46pm #

Thanks — on the wheels I’m more wondering whether something fatter might be more sensible.

Dornbush looks like some climbing equipment might help. I like Columbia in Swissvale, but it never gets extremely steep. Still a good workout though.

Chris Mayhew

Private Message

Oct 23 2013 at 4:57pm #

Take that chart with a grain of salt. For instance Canton Ave. maxes at 37%. And where does the grade on Rialto St vary at all?

Chris Mayhew

Private Message

Oct 23 2013 at 5:00pm #

Also, lower your tire pressure. I don’t know what you weigh but 120 psi is quite high. It actually increases rolling resistance and decreases ride quality.

http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/img/pressurechart121405B.jpg

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.