BikePGH!

2014 Crush the Commonwealth

This topic contains 104 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Mick 5 mos, 3 weeks.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

Author Posts
Author Posts

Shawn

Private Message

Apr 16 2014 at 9:22pm #

@reddan – thank you very much. I must be having some problem with Garmin Connect because I can’t seem to get your file to upload either. I can get files from Strava and Endomondo rides I’ve done…. but nothing I’m pulling from the internet or your file.

edmonds59

Private Message

Apr 16 2014 at 10:50pm #

Drewbacca, you probably already know this, but if you plan on using an iphone with gps, you will need a high capacity external battery pack. When I used to use my iphone as such it would do about a 3 hour ride, max.

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 17 2014 at 12:15am #

edmonds59 wrote:Drewbacca, you probably already know this, but if you plan on using an iphone with gps, you will need a high capacity external battery pack. When I used to use my iphone as such it would do about a 3 hour ride, max.

Point noted. I wouldn’t use it for step-by-step directions, just check the map at applicable points.

Either way, I suspect I won’t be participating until next year and by then I’ll probably pick up a touring Garmin. I do need to get an external battery though, for lights. I have a pair of cygolite exp 350’s that I can swap out when one dies.

reddan

Private Message

Apr 17 2014 at 6:42am #

@reddan – thank you very much. I must be having some problem with Garmin Connect because I can’t seem to get your file to upload either. I can get files from Strava and Endomondo rides I’ve done…. but nothing I’m pulling from the internet or your file.

Which Garmin model do you have? There are different tricks one can try.

Shawn

Private Message

Apr 17 2014 at 8:27am #

reddan, I have the Garmin Edge Touring Plus.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-touring-plus/prod143677.html

reddan

Private Message

Apr 17 2014 at 11:50am #

reddan, I have the Garmin Edge Touring Plus.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-touring-plus/prod143677.html

Per RideWithGPS, if you have a premium membership, you can directly upload to your device.

If you don’t, they recommend trying GPX and TCX as described in the following for Edge devices:

OK, SO HOW DO I GET THE FILE ON MY GPS?

To put a TCX or a GPX file on your Edge 810, export the desired file from our site. Once you have the file saved on your computer (remember where you saved it, whether that’s the desktop or downloads folder or wherever), you can transfer it to the Garmin. Every computer is different, but the general idea is that the Edge 810 acts like a USB thumb drive. Plugging it into your computer should allow you to view the files stored on the unit. Once you have it plugged in, open up the “drive” associated with the GPS unit, then open the “Garmin” folder inside the drive. You’ll now see a list of several files/folders. One of the folders is called “NewFiles”. You should copy (drag the icon) the file to this folder. Once done, safely remove the GPS unit. “Safely remove” means follow your systems instructions for removing a USB flash drive. This, on Windows systems, is usually done by clicking the remove hardware icon in the lower right corner of the screen, next to the clock.

Once the file is transferred to the Edge and the Edge is safely removed from the computer, power the device up. You should be able to find your route under the “Courses” menu. From there it should be fairly self explanatory. Please practice navigating a route with something simple, around your neighborhood, and don’t try to do this the first time before a big ride with friends.

Shawn

Private Message

Apr 17 2014 at 12:24pm #

Thanks again, reddan. I will try the method of saving it directly to the Garmin iteslf. What I was trying to do was save the file to my desktop then upload it to the Garmin connect program. Figuring then I would sync Garmin connect with the device. For the record this is what I did with an Endomondo ride. I exported from Endomondo onto my desktop. Then I uploaded to Garmin connect and edited the route. That new route they synced with my device.

If all else fails, I will pay the $10 a month to load directly onto the device.

Appreciate the time. I’ll let you know if I’m successfull from home tonight.

n8ryde

Private Message

Apr 17 2014 at 7:04pm #

Hey there PA folk!

I want to introduce myself. My name is Nate, I’m a bike mechanic from Chicago, and after years of talking about it, I’ve decided to make it happen and Crush the Commonwealth. I haven’t exactly been training, and I don’t have experience with quite this extreme mileage, but I’ve got good legs, a good bike, and a stubborn streak. I haven’t been able to rope any of my folk into joining me, so hopefully I’ll fall in with a good group of y’all (yinz?). I plan on taking the train in and out, staying with friends on both ends, and being flexible in the middle.

I’m really excited for the adventure, and (relatively) prepared for the punishment that will come with.

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 17 2014 at 8:41pm #

n8ryde wrote:Hey there PA folk!

I want to introduce myself. My name is Nate, I’m a bike mechanic from Chicago, and after years of talking about it, I’ve decided to make it happen and Crush the Commonwealth. I haven’t exactly been training, and I don’t have experience with quite this extreme mileage, but I’ve got good legs, a good bike, and a stubborn streak. I haven’t been able to rope any of my folk into joining me, so hopefully I’ll fall in with a good group of y’all (yinz?). I plan on taking the train in and out, staying with friends on both ends, and being flexible in the middle.

I’m really excited for the adventure, and (relatively) prepared for the punishment that will come with.

May the wind be at your back! It’s a shame our schedules probably don’t overlap. I’m driving from Wood Dale, IL to Pgh tomorrow… return date yet to be determined.

stefb

Private Message

Apr 18 2014 at 7:28am #

Welcome. You will know me because I will probably be the loudest, most annoying female, probably complaining about “crothitis” or how warm it is gonna be or this or that. Just ride at a comfortable pace, and hydrate well and eat well.

Marko82

Private Message

Apr 19 2014 at 9:08pm #

Just an FYI.

A few friends and I rode on the GAP trail from Pgh. to Cedar Creek today and the trail is good and hard – no mushiness at all. However, it was rutted in some sections from people riding on it when it was soft, so be cautious if you are coming through in the dark. I know you guys all love the limestone section of the race!

Mikhail

Private Message

Apr 20 2014 at 10:25pm #

Ladies, you can do it. :)

stefb

Private Message

Apr 21 2014 at 3:27am #

All of the women who started last year finished. Not all of the men finished. Just gonna point that out.

ionbikeon

Private Message

Apr 21 2014 at 5:09pm #

Hey everyone,

Seeking a last minute request for a seat or two and two bicycles. Obviously, my partner an I would pitch in for gas/tools.

If we don’t hear back, which is likely given the short notice…our ride bailed, we’ll be renting a car and driving out on Thursday. So, we could extend a ride to someone.

PM me if interested.

~Cory

reddan

Private Message

Apr 25 2014 at 8:04am #

It’s underway.

For those interested, you can check out the #crushthecommonwealth Twitter and Instagram feeds here: http://www.crushthecommonwealth.com/follow/

jonawebb

Private Message

Apr 25 2014 at 8:59am #

I am sick with jealousy.

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 25 2014 at 9:11am #

jonawebb wrote:I am sick with jealousy.

Only one fix for that… ride the other way and meet them! :P

That’s my plan. I couldn’t get to Philly to start, but I’m going to head out sometime tonight, riding south from Altoona to Bedford and then head into Pgh from there.

Of course, it’s not the same as the full ride, but it sure beats sitting at the house wishing I was out on my bike!

StuInMcCandless

Private Message

Apr 25 2014 at 11:21am #

…south from Altoona to Bedford and then head into Pgh…

Moderately Dent The Commonwealth.

Really, that’s no slouch of a ride, either.

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 26 2014 at 6:30am #

StuInMcCandless wrote:…south from Altoona to Bedford and then head into Pgh…

Moderately Dent The Commonwealth.

Really, that’s no slouch of a ride, either.

Might get delayed though… I was hoping to ride the homestretch with our returning champions.

However, I got a call last night from our friend visiting from Chicago. He got a late start but I’m not sure how late. I hope he caught up to some other riders that were slowed down by the rain storm.

I’m playing the waiting game at the moment until I touch base with him before heading out myself. I could easily ride to Breezewood, Bedford, or Somerset from my parent’s house in Eburg.

Talk about “1st world problems” I missed his call while having dinner with my great aunt. I should have called back and left a message, but I sent a text instead. Only later, I realized that I can’t send text messages from my phone (I use a google-voice number for that) so that text got lost in some internet void somewhere. Slept with my phone by my ear, ready to roll out on a moment’s notice, only to wake up to a shining sun. I tried calling him an hour ago, but no word yet.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so anxious to go jump on my bike.

StuInMcCandless

Private Message

Apr 26 2014 at 8:51pm #

Confirmed by Colin: Stef finished at 9:43 p.m. Has anyone else reported in?

Marko82

Private Message

Apr 26 2014 at 10:03pm #

I think stef is the first to check in. We had a small group down at the point to welcome her in and to our knowledge she is first overall.

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 26 2014 at 10:52pm #

Marko82 wrote:I think stef is the first to check in. We had a small group down at the point to welcome her in and to our knowledge she is first overall.

I love Pittsburgh! Yinz rock!

stefb

Private Message

Apr 27 2014 at 11:09am #

I encourage more ladies to do things like this. It is usually a sausagefest and I know there are other strong, capable ladies out there.

Thanks to my friends who greeted me at the finish!

TeamDecaf

Private Message

Apr 27 2014 at 2:53pm #

Congrats, Stef!

srpit

Private Message

Apr 27 2014 at 5:17pm #

Congrats, Stef!!

You are simply amazing! I absolutely love that you beat them all.

Jacob McCrea

Private Message

Apr 27 2014 at 8:04pm #

Congratulations are indeed in order for Stef’s much-deserved win!

I also saw that Jim G. came in earlier today, and Nate from Chicago arrived at the point just before 7:30 p.m. today. I imagine Shawn is getting to the point at or around right now.

Nate went through quite an ordeal to even get on the road. I will ask him to recount the ordeal here, but the short of it is that Amtrak screwed up giving him the bike in Pittsburgh, and instead sent it on to New York, which prevented me from delivering it to Philly (to get around some luggage rules which prohibit bikes on the train to Philly). Amtrak was supposed to correct the error and have the bike at the Philly train station a half hour before the race started, but the bike did not arrive until around noon. He was on the road by around 1:00 p.m., an eight hour delay. To his credit, he was far more calm about it than I would have been.

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 27 2014 at 9:27pm #

Jacob McCrea wrote:(to get around some luggage rules which prohibit bikes on the train to Philly).

A subtle reminder to call and harass Amtrak again. If I could have loaded my bike onto Amtrak in Altoona, I would have made it to the Liberty Bell too.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering when Nate finished!

Mikhail

Private Message

Apr 27 2014 at 11:24pm #

Stefb, congrats!

reddan

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 7:08am #

Congratulations to Stef for her first-place finish, to everyone who tackled the challenge, and especially to those first-timers who stuck to their guns and refused to quit. Westbound is hard no matter what…facing the weather challenges yinz did adds a whole dose of epic to the mix.

(And my deepest sympathies for those who missed the turn for the abandoned turnpike, and merrily rode up and over two 800′ bonus mountains. Ouchie.)

jonawebb

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 8:59am #

That was really a tough ride. Not so sure I’m still jealous. You all have my respect CtC’ers.

pearmask

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 12:48pm #

As these things tend to be, that was a lot of fun but also a lot of misery.

Maaaad props to Stef for her win. So much respect.

TeamDecaf

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 1:32pm #

^^ Congrats to you Sarah!

TeamDecaf

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 1:34pm #

^^ and Shawn and Jim too!

srpit

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 2:43pm #

Everyone that did that ride deserves a huge, heaping, cup full of admiration – I don’t care how long it took them.

I’m so sorry to hear about Nate’s Amtrak debacle. You have to respect someone that starts out that far behind and decides to still ride the race. That would be pretty lonely knowing you’re the only one back there.

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 4:27pm #

srpit wrote:That would be pretty lonely knowing you’re the only one back there.

And on top of that, his phone died… I was going to meet him in Breezewood and ride in the rest of the way, had I not completely lost contact with him until he caught up with Shawn.

Jim

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 6:47pm #

Congrats Stef! I seriously don’t know how you do it – you are BAD ASS.

To everyone who rode through the rain to get to Breezewood that first night – freeking amazing! My admiration and respect to you all.

And congratulations to everyone who finished. What a ride :)

stefb

Private Message

Apr 28 2014 at 8:36pm #

Thanks guys. It seemed like most people stuck with it. I wrote a blog, which most of you may have read. But in case you didn’t, and you want to kill 20 minutes, here it is:

http://stefannburch.blogspot.com/2014/04/crush-commonwealth-2014-now-with-1000.html

LizziMac

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 7:25am #

Congrats, Stef. And fantastic write up. It almost makes me want to Crush The Commonwealth someday. Almost.

reddan

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 7:26am #

Congrats, Stef. And fantastic write up. It almost makes me want to Crush The Commonwealth someday. Almost.

Next year is eastbound…that’s the easier way. *hint, hint*

stefb

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 7:37am #

Dan, you are sadistic.
It is also more realistic to do eastbound without sleeping.
That brings up another point: good for all of the first timers doing it the hard way this year. Next year will be easy.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.