BikePGH!

2014 Crush the Commonwealth

This topic contains 104 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Mick 2 mos, 2 weeks.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

Author Posts
Author Posts

reddan

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 7:43am #

Dan, you are sadistic.
It is also more realistic to do eastbound without sleeping.

I prefer to think of myself as “encouraging.”
(Or “enabling.”)
(“Instigating?”)

if anyone has hopes of setting a new eastbound record next year, skipping sleep is pretty much mandatory. The Tressler brothers hold the current record of 28:28 (I think); beating that would be doable, but tough: basically, a total of two hours off the bike, and a rolling average of 15 mph.

jonawebb

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 8:09am #

I think that if you want to beat their time you’d need to ride as partners, as they did, to share the burden of the wind. Or ride a recumbent. Either way seems a little fishy to me.

reddan

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 8:12am #

I think that if you want to beat their time you’d need to ride as partners, as they did, to share the burden of the wind. Or ride a recumbent. Either way seems a little fishy to me.

You’d have to be crazy to ride a recumbent on CtC.

Marko82

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 9:14am #

or

So a double negative equals…..

reddan

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 9:18am #

So a double negative equals…..

…2X crazy and a side of contrarianism, hold the common sense.

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 9:45am #

I’d try a recumbent before I tried a tall bike…

reddan

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 9:55am #

Why settle for one or the other?

Drewbacca

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 11:42am #

reddan wrote:Why settle for one or the other?

“Drew crossed the finish line, three days late with only a mild concussion and one broken arm.”

On the bright side, I don’t think you’d need fenders?

flyS564

Private Message

Apr 29 2014 at 11:45am #

reddan wrote:Congratulations to Stef for her first-place finish, to everyone who tackled the challenge, and especially to those first-timers who stuck to their guns and refused to quit. Westbound is hard no matter what…facing the weather challenges yinz did adds a whole dose of epic to the mix.

(And my deepest sympathies for those who missed the turn for the abandoned turnpike, and merrily rode up and over two 800? bonus mountains. Ouchie.)

Congrats everyone! It was definitely a better year for me and I think I was more prepared. My rain gear didn’t do anything to stop the downpours though, that was definitely the lowest point when the second one hit around midnight after Cowan’s gap. Climbing to Breezewood sucked really bad but, I already saw the abandoned turnpike a couple years ago, it was dark and raining anyways. I also naturally slow down before tunnels… ;) The tunnels might have been tempting to sleep in as well. No regrets now but I’ll make sure to never do that again.

I wrote some notes down, I’m really bad at actually publishing anything so I just hit the button on this one otherwise it will still be sitting in my drafts like 2012 is.

steevo

Private Message

May 1 2014 at 10:20am #

Perspective:
Tressler bros averaged 13.3 mph for 28 hours including stops.
Chewman averaged 14.72mph for 8 Days 7 hours and 34 mins.

im guessing somebody super legit could do sub 20

tomh

Private Message

May 1 2014 at 11:46am #

I don’t think there is any doubt that a sub 20 is very do-able by even someone moderately legit. (“moderately legit” means “super awesome” by non-racer type riders)

A sub-20 600K is not too common, but certainly not unheard of, in the randonneuring world, and rando isn’t even a race.

That said, most 600K brevets are done with one or two loops, not point to point, so the issue of prevailing winds can be an even bigger factor on how fast or slow you go on CTC, by comparision.

On the other hand, CTC doesn’t have all that much climbing. Only about 50 feet per mile, which would be considerd by most as downright moderate it it was a 600K rando course.

Considerating that your crossing the Appalacians in the process, it’s surprising. The GAP, for as much as well all complain about it, does have a redeeming feature of cutting out boatloads of climbing.

reddan

Private Message

May 1 2014 at 1:07pm #

One thing that makes CtC significantly different to RAAM, and even a bit atypical for traditional brevets, is that there is no support. Doing a fast rolling average in RAAM is made simpler (NOT to imply it’s easy!!!) because you don’t have to carry anything beyond yourself; even in most 600Ks, you’ve got an opportunity to swap clothes, tires, etc. at the overnight controle.

I dunno. I think sub-24 would be *possible* for a strong rider with weather on their side; that would require something like a 17.5 mph rolling average, and less than 2 hours total off-bike time. Sub 20 would require a 20mph average, and less than an hour off-bike. That’s pushing it pretty hard, IMO, and would require a high tolerance for calorie-dense food eaten solely on-bike.

I’d like to see the Chewman take a crack at a sub-24 run on the CtC route someday.

jonawebb

Private Message

May 1 2014 at 1:17pm #

reddan wrote:I’d like to see the Chewman take a crack at a sub-24 run on the CtC route someday.

Chew will not do, due to trail goo.

tomh

Private Message

May 1 2014 at 3:33pm #

Hmm. Now that I think about it a bit more, it would take a “first place finisher at PBP” type of rider to break 20 hours. I’d think it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for a rider to limit off-bike time to about an hour. That would give them a 15 minute stop every 4 hours or so to re-mix a bladder of frankenfood. So 385 miles in 19 hours moving is 20.3 mph average riding speed. We’ve seen guys in 24 hour races do better than that, but they weren’t contending with rail trails, abandoned turnpikes, and traffic lights (not a minor thing to deal with in getting through York and Lancaster).

Considering the fastest PBP times are 42-43 hours, a sub 20-hour CTC would be a fairly similar feat.

stefb

Private Message

May 1 2014 at 6:51pm #

I do wanna see the look on the chewman’s face when I tell him that RAAM was easier cause there is support. :)
(I actually don’t believe that.. I just wanna say it for shits and giggles).

Dan b and I have been exchanging emails about riding next year..

KBrooks

Private Message

May 1 2014 at 8:38pm #

Stef! I had no idea it was just a few days ago! Holy crap, you are the bomb. Congrats!

Drewbacca

Private Message

May 2 2014 at 1:08am #

@flyS564,

re: ” I saw one rider with a pannier as I entered Rockwood who wasn’t racing that yelled something about crushing it. Who was he? ”

*waves* that was the Drewster! :D

Eric

Private Message

May 3 2014 at 10:39am #

Sub 20 would be pretty darn amazing.

Eating, voiding, route finding, standing in line at Sheetz, Traffic, stop lights, weather, getting lost, wind, flat tires, etc make that sound almost impossible to me.

Sub-24 could happen with a group of maybe no more than three that has a solid system of drafting, eating , and keeping stops to a minimum.

stefb

Private Message

May 3 2014 at 9:07pm #

I would have to insert a urinary catheter, and carry an entire pizza in my handlebar bag

tomh

Private Message

May 3 2014 at 9:15pm #

Here is a how-to on urinary catheters for men (sorry steph, no links for women I am aware of):

http://psychling1.blogspot.com/2010/12/use-of-external-catheter-for-racing-or.html

This idea does actually work better on recumbents…. ahem… so I hear.

StuInMcCandless

Private Message

May 3 2014 at 10:12pm #

I can barely handle the thought of a urinary catheter standing still, let alone trying to bike with one. And any significant distance, just never mind. Somewhere in there we cross the line from Rule #5 to “what, are you nuts?”

jonawebb

Private Message

May 4 2014 at 6:57am #

Triathletes have a solution to the urination problem.

steevo

Private Message

May 6 2014 at 6:38am #

Any legit bike racer knows how to urinate while going downhill.
You simply wait for a 2 min section that is 3-5% and straight and
pull to the side and go.

If it is sub 60 degrees and raining, peeing yourself in the last few miles
warms your legs up again and is one of the best feelings on earth.

reddan

Private Message

May 6 2014 at 6:52am #

If it is sub 60 degrees and raining, peeing yourself in the last few miles
warms your legs up again and is one of the best feelings on earth.

If yinz didn’t shave your legs, maybe yinz wouldn’t have to piddle on ‘em to warm up.

Mick

Private Message

May 6 2014 at 11:20am #

Reddan: If yinz didn’t shave your legs, maybe yinz wouldn’t have to piddle on ‘em to warm up.

Oh, man! Pee on razor burn!

As they say, “Yer in for a treat!”

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.