BikePGH!

Oblivious PGH Motorists on video

This topic contains 221 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  mr marvelous 1 yr, 6 mos.

Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
 
Author Posts
Author Posts

quizbot

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 11:14am #

rsprake wrote:

Benzo wrote:Liberty Ave with this bike lane, despite it’s flaws is WAY better than liberty ave without it.

+1

I’ll +1 this as well.


RoadKillen

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 12:17pm #

+1 to brybot’s comments. I watched both videos. It looked like quizbot had not problem at all moving through the traffic and it didn’t look like anyone’s rights to the roads were being infringed.

I can understand giving the gold SUV a bump to let him/her know you were there as they were obviously drifting into your path.

Everyone else in the video just looks like they’re trying to get from A to B. If you’re trying to educate people to stay out of the bike lane, try to verbalize it instead of slapping their car’s mirror.

Maybe I’m splitting hairs here, but if you slap their mirror hard enough you can take the glass out of alignment and cause decreased visibility for the driver creating and additional hazard to anyone else filtering forward. I’m particularly talking about the Access van who did a right on red. Anyone who has driven a vehicle like that knows that the alignment of the passenger side mirror is important for safe operation. I’m not defending drivers, I’m pointing out that your obnoxious behavior might be making it more dangerous for the rest of us.

Grow up. Share the road.


Mikhail

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 1:18pm #

byogman wrote:but realistically it does mean your opinion is uninformed.

M-m-m, this is a little bit jump to conclusion. Steevo does ride a lot for “fun” (sport). Still I think his opinion weights a lot and it is very informed. I think the same could be said about Danny Chew.

Most of my road miles are for fun.


flyS564

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 2:20pm #

For some reason I get more angry with people who drive around left turning cars into that bike lane or any others when I’m in a car than when I do when I’m riding my bike and encounter it. Maybe it’s because I always expect a car to dip into the bicycle lane without giving a shit when I’m riding but I fear that someone else might not be as experienced as a rider. When driving, I usually stop behind left turning cars with a good car length in front of me. The motorists reactions behind me when they realize I’m not pulling forward enough for them to go around me while their right fender is sticking out a bit into the bike lane is a bit concerning. When I check my side mirror when the angry motorist is behind me (seriously, angry), there is almost always a cyclist in sight.


byogman

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 6:47pm #

Mikhail wrote:

byogman wrote:but realistically it does mean your opinion is uninformed.

M-m-m, this is a little bit jump to conclusion.

He didn’t say he bikes primarily for fun, he says he bikes for fun ONLY. I don’t know Steevo or Danny, haven’t even met them, but I’m guessing they might use a bike just to get somewhere sometimes.

Someone who does no riding just to get somewhere is going to primarily use parks, trails, and such and is highly unlikely to be well informed about the situation on the roads.

It’s still technically an assumption of course, but I think it’s a pretty darn reasonable one. The bigger problem with my post was that it had too much snark… I guess subconsciously writing for the audience here rather than the poster. So there’s a risk I came off as an ass. But maybe I am. Anyways, I can’t feel too bad about it since he said he wasn’t going to read it anyway.

flyS564, you are a rare driver hero. Thank you.


Pierce

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 6:53pm #

The board and this thread specifically are totally unaccustomed to snark


Marko82

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 7:04pm #

Early in the keg ride, a woman got out of her car at a stop light to complain that not all 500+ cyclist were using the bike lane on ELB. She started with the famous “I ride a bike too…” It was really funny because there was a police motorcycle cop with his flashing lights on immediately behind her car. I just kept telling her to please talk with the officer, but she ignored him and kept rattling on. The cops were great to have once again this year. +1 for all their help.


cburch

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 8:16pm #

“I ride a bike too…” is the cycling equivalent of “I’m not racist but…”


Pierce

Private Message

May 2 2013 at 8:23pm #

Whenever I drive I always imagine getting in that conversation with a cyclist and being like “I commute 100+ miles a week!”


Mikhail

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 12:28am #

byogman wrote:Someone who does no riding just to get somewhere is going to primarily use parks, trails, and such and is highly unlikely to be well informed about the situation on the roads.

This is not true. Lot of people who rides for fun uses mostly roads. I have barelly 5% of my biking for commuting. 95% for fun and I stay on trail may be 15% of thos 95% for fun.


Mikhail

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 12:30am #

Marko82 wrote:+1 for all their help.

Yes, +1. And we need to get bike cops involved too. :)


byogman

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 7:43am #

Mikhail wrote:
This is not true. Lot of people who rides for fun uses mostly roads. I have barelly 5% of my biking for commuting. 95% for fun and I stay on trail may be 15% of thos 95% for fun.

I already gave my take that there was a world of difference between someone who rides ONLY for fun and someone who ALSO rides for fun. That 5% matters a lot, especially if it’s regular riding. To be clear, I don’t even care much how many miles are in each bucket just so long as there’s some on the transportation side.

Someone who rides ONLY for fun, assuming they do any road riding at all really (which most won’t) will choose roads not for whether they get them somewhere, but by whether they’re already fun. A group ride could make an un-fun road a fun one, but missing that feeling that you have to fend for yourself, there’s a limit to how much they inform someone’s perspective.

You have to face an un-fun situation at least sometimes for this to feel like anything more than fun and games.


cburch

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 10:25am #

Danny Chew rides almost 100% for fun and puts more road miles down in a month than most of us put down in a year. a good portion of them inside the city limits. And he doesn’t pick “fun” routes…


Mikhail

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 12:17pm #

I already gave my take that there was a world of difference between someone who rides ONLY for fun and someone who ALSO rides for fun. That 5% matters a lot, especially if it’s regular riding. To be clear, I don’t even care much how many miles are in each bucket just so long as there’s some on the transportation side.

Someone who rides ONLY for fun, assuming they do any road riding at all really (which most won’t) will choose roads not for whether they get them somewhere, but by whether they’re already fun. A group ride could make an un-fun road a fun one, but missing that feeling that you have to fend for yourself, there’s a limit to how much they inform someone’s perspective.

Ben, you are wrong. Go for rando, go for long group ride and you will see a lot of people outside of groups. In addition, people who are preparing for sport events are riding solo on the road very often. Those are more exoirienced than almost any commuter. And on this particular road if anyone asks how to get from point A to point B outside of city limits 40-50 miles Steevo steps in and explained. Just because he has done that road many times for fun. You are missing the point that people who put 12,000-25,000 miles per year on their bikes could no do it on trail. They would be borred to death.


Mick

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 12:24pm #

For a long time, I could say ” I have fun and get exercise when I ride, but I never ride for fun and I never ride for exercise”

The eViL Flock wrecked my innocence and sullied my purity, though.

That being said, the guys that are athletic and fanatical about it might have culmulative weekly distances of 15 or 20 times what I have.

They might not think about the safest way to get around at midnight on a Saturday or getting home from work in a blizzard, but they know some stuff.


edmonds59

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 1:30pm #

My commute is 100% fun, I enjoy it immensely, and I’m getting to work. I actually love dicing in the traffic, one of the things I would miss riding in A-dam or Copenhagen, ferinstance.
Un-fun: Being fat and in crappy shape so as I can’t even pull 35 mph on flat, level W. Carson St, and wheezing like an asthmatic Tarsier


byogman

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 6:09pm #

Mikhail wrote:Ben, you are wrong

It’s still very hard for me to believe that there are many folks who have fun even riding over “un-fun” roads that wouldn’t choose to have fun at least sometimes when they’re getting somewhere practical. What would be the motivation?

And again, I’m not saying mostly, I’m saying exclusively, because that’s what the poster said about himself, that he rides only for fun. So that nullifies most of the counterexamples.

But, maybe not all, and maybe there are somewhat more “I have my fun on the weekend and fun time is over now” riders than I had thought. At least in terms of how wrong I might be in some specific instances, touche.

But there’s a more important driver about whether it’s reasonable to step out with an assumption. The more important driver is… how bloody likely is it really, that you’re just wrong.

I mean really, take your “I have fun but fun time is over” rider category (go ahead take your best guess on that population) to the number of people who bike only for fun, probably rarely, in parks, and think that cyclists on the road are kinda self entitled jerks playing where motorists belong. Which category has vastly more people in it? And which did the poster sound like in his post?

To me it’s obvious, but I’m sure you still disagree. So I’ll just leave it there, agree to disagree, and step out of this conversation now.


Mikhail

Private Message

May 3 2013 at 10:13pm #

byogman wrote:And again, I’m not saying mostly, I’m saying exclusively, because that’s what the poster said about himself, that he rides only for fun. So that nullifies most of the counterexamples.

The same jump again. Nad no, it does not nullifies any counterexample.


ericf

Private Message

May 4 2013 at 5:23am #

@quizbot,
Your arrogance will catch up to you. Your behavior exhibits a complete disregard for safety.


mr marvelous

Private Message

May 4 2013 at 5:42am #

@quizbot, I have probably asked you this already (sorry if I have). What kind of camera do you use? It takes really nice video. Also how does it perform at night or gloomy days? Does it weigh down your helmet?


quizbot

Private Message

May 4 2013 at 8:38am #

ericf wrote:Your behavior exhibits a complete disregard for safety.

@ericf: If I wasn’t tapping the mirrors, and just navigating the clogged bike lane, would I still be disregarding safety? Should I be stopping behind each jerk blocking the lane and waiting for the lane to clear? Just curious how you would handle the situation. Another question: was what I was doing illegal?

What about the drivers? Are they disregarding safety or breaking any laws? (ex. illegal right on red access van).

@mr marvelous: it’s a Contour Roam. Night is not that great (if you want to be able to make out a plate you’d need a really bright headlight pointed at it). Gloomy is ok. Not too heavy at all.


mr marvelous

Private Message

May 4 2013 at 8:48am #

@quizbot thanks I’ll try to remember this time and not keep asking.

Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.