BikePGH!

There are about a dozen or 2 people who post regularly to this board

This topic contains 66 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  ericf 10 mos, 3 weeks.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
 
Author Posts
Author Posts

cburch

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 10:24am #

Drewbacca wrote:

reddan wrote:That’s a fine idea indeed.

It is. Should it be part of the bikepgh site or a separate wiki site? A good start would be a separate thread to discuss ideas, list the FAQs, etc.

i’d say make the wiki independent. that will keep any liability issues for bike pgh nonexistent, and allow the wiki more freedom on political issues if that is ever needed.


Vannevar

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 10:26am #

Kind of a perfect example of a slight deviation in topic producing worthwhile food for thought.

It is an excellent idea; the Forum is a place to discuss and exchange opinions; the BurghBikeWiki is a place for persistent validated group knowledge.

Edit to Add: Second to CBurch’s comment on Indy-Wiki. Because: reasons.


Ahlir

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 11:52am #

Search on this site sucks totally.
Do this in Google instead: “site:bikepgh.org ericf threads” (e.g.)
Hint to maintainer: you could redirect search to Google.

This thread has now exceeded my threshold of boring.
See y’all later…


Flyfishing3

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 12:56pm #

thoughts from a lurker.

I come here very regularly to see whats going on.

i rarely post, but thats by choice and i’m very active on other sites including many i admin, mod on.

1. i’m not a commuter so that doesn’t interest me.
2. i don’t live in the city, so i can’t totally relate to some of that back and forth. If the concentration of info is to allegheny County, its very limiting in getting us ‘burb folks.
3. Posts on needing to sweep a bridge doesn’t bring in New people.
4. I don’t ride a “”Fixie, single speed”” so no idea what thats all about. I’m a road rider.
5. Thread jacking is common place over most public sites. If that gets your underwear knotted up, best start your own site.
6. I primarily come here looking for events that might interest me. I haven’t participated in any from HERE, but i travel lots doing rides.
7. Personally, i like to see more info on parts, tires etc. Ie. weight weenies.

just some sideline thoughts.


AtLeastMyKidsLoveMe

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 1:25pm #

So this is all about “threadjacking”? Really?

21st century, first-world problems.

I’m with cburch on this one.

Get over it dude. It’s a message board for crying out loud. It’s not the second amendment.

Have a nice day.


byogman

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 1:29pm #

Glad to hear from a lurker.

Since thread jacking is not a concern of yours, would you say that there is there anything specific that discourages you from posting here about parts/tires from a weight weenie perspective?

I’m not sure I’d have anything to add to such a thread, but would be interesting to play the lurker for once. I think this board could use more variety.

If it’s presumed lack of interest here, I don’t know… I think you very well may find more lurkers like yourself suddenly becoming participants.


Flyfishing3

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 2:14pm #

for me.

nothing really discourages me from posting. Either its a subject i have no interest( i’ll still read the thread generally) or the subject is well covered and there is no need for a +1 post to throw my post count up.

i know there are some really creative bikes here. For instance, i’m running a campy 11 speed SR cranks with a shimano 10 front derailleur and SRAM levers. They say it couldn’t be done lol.

I guess the need is to find a way to reach the suburbs, find what will get the lurkers going.

if you see a new poster, or a name you don’t recognize, don’t give them the shiv.

ps. i don’t post a ton on weight weenies because those guys are out of my league ha.


JaySherman5000

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 3:30pm #

Ahlir wrote:

The big problem with most (winter) squash recipes is that they need the oven, at a temperature different from that needed for the turkey. So, no oven for my squash.

That’s a good reason to cook your turkey using an oven-less method. I prefer to grill my birds via charcoal and wood chips; you might also consider deep fried turkey. It’s never too early to start planning for next year!


cburch

Private Message

Dec 2 2013 at 5:15pm #

Flyfishing3 wrote:for me.

nothing really discourages me from posting. Either its a subject i have no interest( i’ll still read the thread generally) or the subject is well covered and there is no need for a +1 post to throw my post count up.

i know there are some really creative bikes here. For instance, i’m running a campy 11 speed SR cranks with a shimano 10 front derailleur and SRAM levers. They say it couldn’t be done lol.

I guess the need is to find a way to reach the suburbs, find what will get the lurkers going.

if you see a new poster, or a name you don’t recognize, don’t give them the shiv.

ps. i don’t post a ton on weight weenies because those guys are out of my league ha.

you sound like you have some interesting things to talk about. don’t wait for someone else to start the thread you’re looking for. just hit that “new” button at the top and go for it!

also, off the top of my head, at least 6 of the long time, regular posters here are what most people would consider suburban. Stu, is in McCandles, Edmonds is somewhere out past Crafton, Jonawebb and Terry are both out in the east hills, ajbooth is in mt lebanon, and marko is in carrick. There are also newer regulars from the burbs as well as less frequent but still fairly active long timers from outside the city. There is also a huge contingent of first ring suburbanites from wilkinsburg, edgewood, aspinwall, dormont and the like.


quizbot

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 1:38am #

Threads like this remind me why I only check this board once every other week rather than 3x per day lately.

Turkey roasting advice is late, but I didn’t need your help anyway.

Everyone else is an asshole, and your content really sucks (except for the folks proposing a wiki under a different domain).


Pierce

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 3:50pm #

@Flyfishing3

What suburbs do you live in? Many of us commute across the county regularly. Well maybe not across, but start in the middle and go to the border or vise versa. Actually, upon looking at a map, I don’t get to the county border, but I go about halfway to the country border

@cooking

I made a seitan loaf this holiday that tastes pretty similar to a tofurkey. Even more interestingly, when I moved into my house, they left a bunch of crap behind, but no oven racks. Purchasing a new rack is about $30 on eBay, and one used appliance store I checked didn’t have my size, but I was able to put the broiler pan in the oven and that seems to work okay. Leftovers were good for calzones


ericf

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 4:11pm #

cburch wrote:so you’re mad that Stef derailed her own thread for about 4 posts still? in the middle of a page and a half derailment to talk about mirrors and lane position? seriously man. we don’t need board police. get over it.

The thread you reference is one example . There is a trend toward declining participation on this board, along with a repeated pattern of behaviors by a small group of people, that amounts to internet bullying. This upsets me.


cburch

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 4:35pm #

but if its HER thread, according to your logic, shouldn’t she be able to direct it as she sees fit. and in fact you were one of the people heavily participating the the page and a half long complete derailment of the thread that she interrupted.

this board ebbs and flows over time, sometimes its busy, sometimes its not. people come and people go. threads wander wildly off topic people give each other a hard time and people get along great. sometimes people even catch shit for having previously and repeatedly acting like assholes and for spouting of personal opinions and thinly veiled insults like its the word of god(s) and shouting “conspiracy!” to the heavens when others disagree with them. welcome to the internet. get over it.


ericf

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 4:53pm #

@cburch, I never really considered who “owns” a thread on this or any message board. To me it seems that the threads belong to all of us, and being polite and not bullying those who you disagree with is just, well, polite. Saying that people need to HTFU and deal with it does not excuse bad behavior.
It is right there, at the top of the Message Board homepage:
“Rules: Be respectful and constructive.”


cburch

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 5:13pm #

and it DOES matter if someone is a former member banned for spewing racist, misogynistic, anti-semetic crap all over the board, now posting under a new name.

personally I’m sick of seeing him show up INSISTING his way is the only right way coupled with thinly veiled insults and coded racism and then throw a fucking hissy fit about cliques when people disagree with him. so he can go fuck himself and i have no courtesy left for him. too god damn bad.

also most of the regulars who left the board are over on Facebook. i’m pretty good friends with an overwhelming number of them, and most of them left because the board got so repetitive, and because of assholes like gg/hcurtis, val, and timito shitting all over everything.


Pierce

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 5:32pm #

Since when is changing the topic of conversation a form of bullying?


edmonds59

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 5:50pm #

The rules.


ericf

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 6:20pm #

cburch wrote:and it DOES matter if someone is a former member banned for spewing racist, misogynistic, anti-semetic crap all over the board, now posting under a new name.

personally I’m sick of seeing him show up INSISTING his way is the only right way coupled with thinly veiled insults and coded racism and then throw a fucking hissy fit about cliques when people disagree with him. so he can go fuck himself and i have no courtesy left for him. too god damn bad.

also most of the regulars who left the board are over on Facebook. i’m pretty good friends with an overwhelming number of them, and most of them left because the board got so repetitive, and because of assholes like gg/hcurtis, val, and timito shitting all over everything.

This is not about gg, and I am not here to defend gg. The fact is you are making huge assumptions about a member’s identity. You have no idea who gg is. To accuse someone like that without a chance to defend themselves is exactly the kind of bullying that I am complaining about. How about some courtesy for the rest of us who don’t want to read this kind of crap. Maybe you should just go play with your friends on FaceBook.


Mick

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 6:23pm #

This “be cool” stuff?

I been working at it for a while, Mr Edmonds, but I just can’t seem to get it right.

Maybe if I buy a better black leather jacket. Whadaya think?


ericf

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 6:30pm #

cburch wrote:and because of assholes like gg/hcurtis, val, and timito shitting all over everything.

So, are you trying to pick up where they left off?


ericf

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 6:32pm #

Pierce wrote:Since when is changing the topic of conversation a form of bullying?

When it is done repetitively enough to stop people from reading or posting to a thread.


edmonds59

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 6:43pm #

Mick you are it, no accessories needed.


ericf

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 7:50pm #

@cburch, Like I told gg:
“Your profiling and pigeonholing are tired. Your comments are hypocritical and arrogant. Give it up.”


Drewbacca

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 8:08pm #

ericf wrote:
This is not about gg, and I am not here to defend gg. The fact is you are making huge assumptions about a member’s identity. You have no idea who gg is. To accuse someone like that without a chance to defend themselves is exactly the kind of bullying that I am complaining about. How about some courtesy for the rest of us who don’t want to read this kind of crap. Maybe you should just go play with your friends on FaceBook.

Personally, the only thing that matters to me, is that gg is clearly trying to behave (in recent posts). He’s not trying to defend himself or pick a fight in this thread, which is relatively admirable. I’m saying this, because no one else has…


cburch

Private Message

Dec 3 2013 at 9:25pm #

this all evolved from a couple smartass comments and maybe 6 or 7 posts total that barely made a bump in the two threads (that everyone else was capable of ignoring if they didn’t care). this whole thing is a fucking abomination and bullshit like this self righteous thread and your attempt to tell everyone else what is and isn’t appropriate and how to behave is a huge part of why all the people you miss so dearly left. you are the one that drug it all out by freaking out publicly and privately on people.

no one is jumping on every new member and pushing everyone around. one dude keeps crying about cliques and conspiracies every time anyone disagrees with him, and even prefaces his posts with “i’m not one of the COOL kids” bullshit so that anyone who disagrees is automatically set up as a “bully” its self pitying and borderline delusional. and its ONE DUDE. the only person in the last year to get shit on by the whole board since gg got banned a year or so ago was that racist dickbag val.

if gg wanted to defend himself he had every opportunity. its not like i have some sort of moderator power that i used to throw out accusations and then lock threads or something else completely crazy that didn’t happen. he was kicked off for a reason, and if he wants to behave now, awesome. but people should know the background that colors his every interaction with this community.

the ridiculous thing is that gg (and it IS the same dude, as drew so astutely pointed out in the second thread that threw you into a hissy tizzy) was initially banned as a result of a thread YOU started a year ago whose title was a quote from ME calling him an asshole.

this whole thing where you get to decide what is and isn’t ok to post and when conversations are allowed to change topic is completely self centered and stupid. you aren’t doing anything for the good of the board. if you were you would have sent one or two POLITE pms to people and then backed off. you wanted a public spectacle so here you go, you big fucking baby.

GIANT PUBLIC GOD DAMN SPECTACLE ACHIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!

now if you don’t like what i have to say i suggest you take your own advice and ignore me. instead of trying to tell me to get off the board. talk about bullying…


jonawebb

Private Message

Dec 4 2013 at 8:59am #

@cburch, please drop this. If anyone is being bullied at this point, it’s gg. Let it go.


ericf

Private Message

Dec 4 2013 at 9:11am #

@cburch, PM sent.
I will take church’s advice and continue this conversation with him in private.

@jonawebb
My point exactly. Hopefully the rest of the kangaroo court will take the message and let it go as well.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
 

The topic ‘There are about a dozen or 2 people who post regularly to this board’ is closed to new replies.