BIKEPGH MESSAGE BOARD ARCHIVE

« Back to Archive

2014 Crush the Commonwealth

April 25, 2014. Liberty Bell, Philly. 5am.
stefb
2013-12-01 12:27:16
There are no prizes either.
stefb
2013-12-01 18:09:00
Pro tip: don't drive a U-haul full of bikes into downtown Philly during rush hour the day before the race.
reddan
2013-12-01 19:21:22
In.
mrosswog
2013-12-01 22:05:11
reddan wrote:Pro tip: don’t drive a U-haul full of bikes into downtown Philly during rush hour the day before the race.
Center City, n'at!
rustyred
2013-12-01 22:46:48
RustyRed wrote: Center City, n’at!
Are you crying? Sounds like a lot of Wawa to me.
headloss
2013-12-01 23:57:20
Drewbacca wrote:
Are you crying? Sounds like a lot of Wawa to me.
+1
rustyred
2013-12-02 00:17:58
go to the mall in valley forge instead. the trail goes right behind it. they can ride into town for a nice warmup.
cburch
2013-12-02 13:26:58
This time maybe I'll bring a few more clothes to avoid a hypothermic experience in Burger King (as much fun as that was!).
jimg
2013-12-02 21:32:34
Hypothermia on top of exhaustion is like thick icing on a shit cake.
mick
2013-12-02 22:54:42
Maybe we won't have shit weather this year...
stefb
2013-12-03 04:19:32
stefb wrote:Maybe we won’t have shit weather this year…
points and laughs
cburch
2013-12-03 11:30:40
I'm thinking about riding across the state on PA route Y or V before heading home on Route S for the race.
mrosswog
2013-12-07 23:00:33
I'm in. This will be my first.
smarti6
2013-12-25 00:04:49
I'm in ... 4/25/14 .... Sounds like a great ride.
wpurvis2013
2013-12-30 11:19:09
Last year a dozen or so non-competitors rode along for the first few miles as a send off parade to the race. We then went off to breakfast – which I think is the only smart choice on race day :-). I wonder if our friends in the city-of-brotherly-love are going to be as hospitable to the competitors this year. (yes that is a challenge to see which city can get spectators out at 5am)
marko82
2013-12-30 11:39:23
This is my first attempt at doing this, so I would love to hear any tips you all have. I know there are threads from prior years, but any new "lessons learned" would truly be appreciated (besides losing 50lbs and riding more). I'm building up a new steel touring ride as incentive for 2014 CTC. Hopefully it will be done in the new few weeks so I can properly break it in.
smarti6
2014-01-03 15:45:28
I'd say you need to practice long rides, to work out equipment and clothing issues, as well as endurance. Quite a few of the riders who quit in 2013 seemed to do so because they got too cold, or had some critical piece of equipment fail without a backup.
jonawebb
2014-01-03 16:22:12
This is my first attempt at doing this, so I would love to hear any tips you all have. I know there are threads from prior years, but any new “lessons learned” would truly be appreciated (besides losing 50lbs and riding more). I’m building up a new steel touring ride as incentive for 2014 CTC. Hopefully it will be done in the new few weeks so I can properly break it in.
Here's my FAQ. I need to update it, but all the basic stuff should still be legit. IMO: comfort trumps efficiency. Obviously, don't take that statement too far...however, you're gonna be on your bike for well over a day at best, so even small problems in fit will be greatly magnified. You don't have to do stupid-crazy amounts of training, but it's a good idea to try to get at least one or two rides > 100 miles under your belt, so you can be sure that what feels good after 20 miles still feels okay after 120. Specific to this year: east-to-west is harder, so pace yourself accordingly. You've got well over 120 miles of mostly flat (slightly rising, but nothing dramatic) riding before you hit the first climbs, so be aware that it's easy to burn too much gas before Chambersburg/Cowan's Gap/Breezewood->Bedford->Somerset. If you have any dietary restrictions or preferences, plan ahead; there's a Sheetz or similar at least every 60 miles or so, but, depending on time of day, there may be very little else available in that 60-mile leg. I strongly suggest that you carry enough food and fluids to be able to ride 50-60 miles without needing to refuel. The worst stretch for climbing is probably the last few miles before Somerset, and, as you summit Dividing Ridge, you can look forward to a nice 10-15% grade for the last quarter-mile. That said, once you roll into Somerset, there's no climbing of note left in the route...just a few miles of the GAP. ;-) If you plan to sleep in a motel, shoot for Chambersburg, Breezewood, or Bedford; if you make it to Somerset before getting terribly sleepy, ya might as well just keep rolling and get a really good finish time. :-) Have fun!
reddan
2014-01-03 16:33:47
Yep the section after somerset in 2013 went ever so fast compared to 2012, even though it was pouring so hard I couldn't see, and the temperature was dropping. A lot easier going down than up.
stefb
2014-01-03 21:18:12
Top. Getting excited?
stefb
2014-03-15 15:01:12
training for it... not sure if I'll participate or not, yet.
headloss
2014-03-15 18:00:29
Yup. Training in progress. Flu going through my household set me back a few weeks, but looking to hit things hard over the next several weeks.
smarti6
2014-03-15 22:37:46
I've thought about doing this a few times over the years, but have never had the time, the fitness and the motivation come together at that point in the year. This year is no exception, but 2015 is possible. That said, if people would cover my fuel costs I'd be happy to throw as many as nine (9) bikes in my truck and haul them out for the good of this worthy cause. Five (5) bikes fit on the rack in the bed, and four (4) more fit on a custom hitch-mount bike rack. With some planning the trip out could be done with 2 vehicles. Let me know if there's any interest.
jmccrea
2014-03-16 11:58:35
@jacob. Not sure what your fitness level is, but I can't be too much better. I do have the motivation aspect. Awesome for the driving offer. Id love a ride out!!! I was just about to try and rent a truck online. But they hit you with the one way rental fees. Feel free to pm me for more info.
smarti6
2014-03-16 12:31:30
Shawn and Jacob - I'm definitely interested in car pooling. Are either of you still up for this?
jimg
2014-03-18 23:29:59
I am planning to drive out the Thursday evening before the race. I've been wanting to visit two museums in the Philly area and this will provide a great opportunity to do that. So far Shawn and one of his friends are doing the race, and have spoken for two of the seats. There is room for one more person in the truck, and plenty of room for 7 more bikes and gear, and you are welcome to come along. That said, if you are over 6' tall the truck's extended cab can get a little cramped over a long trip. It is a full-size truck, but not a full 4-door crew cab. However, it will be far more comfortable than, say, hour 27 of the race. Just let me know if you want a spot.
jmccrea
2014-03-19 09:17:26
Jacob - count me in! I'll PM you with my contact info. Thanks!
jimg
2014-03-19 12:46:02
Jacob, you planning on picking me up when I hurt myself 100 miles in as well? Haha.
smarti6
2014-03-19 12:52:45
My buddy and I are riding CtC and we have a rental van lined up for the trip back east after it's over. One of us going to Easton, PA, one to Trenton, NJ. If you are reading this msg board, there's an excellent chance you're looking to get *to* the start in Philly not *back home* after the finish, but I'll put this out there anyway - Anybody looking for a ride back to Philly area? I've got a rental minivan with two open slots. Only requirements are you need to be ready to depart PGH 9am Sunday morning (got to be back to work on Monday,) and be willing to share expenses. I estimate rental, fuel and tools to come in about $300 total. If we get 2 additional riders, we split that 4 ways. First two interested parties to contact me are in. Thx, Ron
purpleburley
2014-04-08 06:42:45
@stefb, I just read your blog entry about last year's ride and it makes me masochistically interested.... just not on a week and a half's notice. 2015, here I come
mjyc
2014-04-09 14:33:16
I find doing it the hard way first makes the next year seem soooo much easier.
stefb
2014-04-09 16:26:41
UGH! You're breakin my [figurative] balls!! You are a stronger woman than I.
mjyc
2014-04-09 18:48:35
Getting excited about this. With no distance training at all since, uh, last CTC, plus a new bicycle that I haven't ridden more than about 40 miles at one time so far, I may actually explode a body part and/or set a slowest-time record, but it's all about the adventure, right? I know Dan's blog has RideWithGPS data / cue sheets. Does anybody else have a good cue sheet or other directional information for the westbound route? I kinda, sorta can't find my Garmin, and I'm kinda, sorta directionally challenged (as evidenced by all the bonus miles I rode last year, whoops), so I'm trying to make sure I have as much information as possible for when I start deliriously missing those Bicycle Route S signs...
2014-04-15 22:31:56
Prelimary forecast shows warm temps with rain. 100% chance of skin breakdown.
stefb
2014-04-16 06:39:32
@Pearmask- I just bought the touring Garmin. I found a few routes for CTC on the internet (ridewithgps), but for some reason, I'm not able to upload them to my Garmin Connect. So, unless some "white knight" wants to email another route file to upload, I am going to manually create the route and download it to my Garmin. I'm 99% sure that I can print out a cuesheet after that, which I will be more that willing to share! And I'm super-pumped as well. My "training has sucked." My longest ride of the year has been 60 miles. I will be HURTING. But my goal is just to finish!
smarti6
2014-04-16 09:26:09
I was considering a 300k this weekend but that may be overkill. I somehow had an 800 mile month last month with as much as I work, and I am on track to do over 1000 this month.
stefb
2014-04-16 11:11:18
Still not sure if I'll be participating, it's getting to be too last minute and I haven't made any arrangements. The bike that I would be riding hasn't been touched since maybe last October. I haven't even seen it since Christmas... LOL *sigh* Every year is an improvement though, I finally got a good set of panniers, a good shell, some dependable layers, a pair of gloves that don't double for working on my car, and a light that actually allows me to see things (two of those, in fact). If anyone has extra last-minute space (for bike and rider) in a Philly bound vehicle, let me know after this weekend, because that might be what I base my decision on. I ended up returning my Garmin Oregon to REI when I got an iphone with data. I might check out one of the new touring Garmin's though.
headloss
2014-04-16 11:50:06
@reddan - thank you very much. I must be having some problem with Garmin Connect because I can't seem to get your file to upload either. I can get files from Strava and Endomondo rides I've done.... but nothing I'm pulling from the internet or your file.
smarti6
2014-04-16 21:22:45
Drewbacca, you probably already know this, but if you plan on using an iphone with gps, you will need a high capacity external battery pack. When I used to use my iphone as such it would do about a 3 hour ride, max.
edmonds59
2014-04-16 22:50:00
edmonds59 wrote:Drewbacca, you probably already know this, but if you plan on using an iphone with gps, you will need a high capacity external battery pack. When I used to use my iphone as such it would do about a 3 hour ride, max.
Point noted. I wouldn't use it for step-by-step directions, just check the map at applicable points. Either way, I suspect I won't be participating until next year and by then I'll probably pick up a touring Garmin. I do need to get an external battery though, for lights. I have a pair of cygolite exp 350's that I can swap out when one dies.
headloss
2014-04-17 00:15:13
@reddan – thank you very much. I must be having some problem with Garmin Connect because I can’t seem to get your file to upload either. I can get files from Strava and Endomondo rides I’ve done…. but nothing I’m pulling from the internet or your file.
Which Garmin model do you have? There are different tricks one can try.
reddan
2014-04-17 06:42:02
reddan, I have the Garmin Edge Touring Plus. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-touring-plus/prod143677.html
Per RideWithGPS, if you have a premium membership, you can directly upload to your device. If you don't, they recommend trying GPX and TCX as described in the following for Edge devices:
OK, SO HOW DO I GET THE FILE ON MY GPS? To put a TCX or a GPX file on your Edge 810, export the desired file from our site. Once you have the file saved on your computer (remember where you saved it, whether that’s the desktop or downloads folder or wherever), you can transfer it to the Garmin. Every computer is different, but the general idea is that the Edge 810 acts like a USB thumb drive. Plugging it into your computer should allow you to view the files stored on the unit. Once you have it plugged in, open up the “drive” associated with the GPS unit, then open the “Garmin” folder inside the drive. You’ll now see a list of several files/folders. One of the folders is called “NewFiles”. You should copy (drag the icon) the file to this folder. Once done, safely remove the GPS unit. “Safely remove” means follow your systems instructions for removing a USB flash drive. This, on Windows systems, is usually done by clicking the remove hardware icon in the lower right corner of the screen, next to the clock. Once the file is transferred to the Edge and the Edge is safely removed from the computer, power the device up. You should be able to find your route under the “Courses” menu. From there it should be fairly self explanatory. Please practice navigating a route with something simple, around your neighborhood, and don’t try to do this the first time before a big ride with friends.
reddan
2014-04-17 11:50:54
Thanks again, reddan. I will try the method of saving it directly to the Garmin iteslf. What I was trying to do was save the file to my desktop then upload it to the Garmin connect program. Figuring then I would sync Garmin connect with the device. For the record this is what I did with an Endomondo ride. I exported from Endomondo onto my desktop. Then I uploaded to Garmin connect and edited the route. That new route they synced with my device. If all else fails, I will pay the $10 a month to load directly onto the device. Appreciate the time. I'll let you know if I'm successfull from home tonight.
smarti6
2014-04-17 12:24:56
Hey there PA folk! I want to introduce myself. My name is Nate, I'm a bike mechanic from Chicago, and after years of talking about it, I've decided to make it happen and Crush the Commonwealth. I haven't exactly been training, and I don't have experience with quite this extreme mileage, but I've got good legs, a good bike, and a stubborn streak. I haven't been able to rope any of my folk into joining me, so hopefully I'll fall in with a good group of y'all (yinz?). I plan on taking the train in and out, staying with friends on both ends, and being flexible in the middle. I'm really excited for the adventure, and (relatively) prepared for the punishment that will come with.
n8ryde
2014-04-17 19:04:34
n8ryde wrote:Hey there PA folk! I want to introduce myself. My name is Nate, I’m a bike mechanic from Chicago, and after years of talking about it, I’ve decided to make it happen and Crush the Commonwealth. I haven’t exactly been training, and I don’t have experience with quite this extreme mileage, but I’ve got good legs, a good bike, and a stubborn streak. I haven’t been able to rope any of my folk into joining me, so hopefully I’ll fall in with a good group of y’all (yinz?). I plan on taking the train in and out, staying with friends on both ends, and being flexible in the middle. I’m really excited for the adventure, and (relatively) prepared for the punishment that will come with.
May the wind be at your back! It's a shame our schedules probably don't overlap. I'm driving from Wood Dale, IL to Pgh tomorrow... return date yet to be determined.
headloss
2014-04-17 20:41:11
Welcome. You will know me because I will probably be the loudest, most annoying female, probably complaining about "crothitis" or how warm it is gonna be or this or that. Just ride at a comfortable pace, and hydrate well and eat well.
stefb
2014-04-18 07:28:02
Just an FYI. A few friends and I rode on the GAP trail from Pgh. to Cedar Creek today and the trail is good and hard - no mushiness at all. However, it was rutted in some sections from people riding on it when it was soft, so be cautious if you are coming through in the dark. I know you guys all love the limestone section of the race!
marko82
2014-04-19 21:08:19
All of the women who started last year finished. Not all of the men finished. Just gonna point that out.
stefb
2014-04-21 03:27:18
Hey everyone, Seeking a last minute request for a seat or two and two bicycles. Obviously, my partner an I would pitch in for gas/tools. If we don't hear back, which is likely given the short notice...our ride bailed, we'll be renting a car and driving out on Thursday. So, we could extend a ride to someone. PM me if interested. ~Cory
ionbikeon
2014-04-21 17:09:12
I am sick with jealousy.
jonawebb
2014-04-25 08:59:12
jonawebb wrote:I am sick with jealousy.
Only one fix for that... ride the other way and meet them! :P That's my plan. I couldn't get to Philly to start, but I'm going to head out sometime tonight, riding south from Altoona to Bedford and then head into Pgh from there. Of course, it's not the same as the full ride, but it sure beats sitting at the house wishing I was out on my bike!
headloss
2014-04-25 09:11:54
...south from Altoona to Bedford and then head into Pgh... Moderately Dent The Commonwealth. Really, that's no slouch of a ride, either.
stuinmccandless
2014-04-25 11:21:20
StuInMcCandless wrote:…south from Altoona to Bedford and then head into Pgh… Moderately Dent The Commonwealth. Really, that’s no slouch of a ride, either.
Might get delayed though... I was hoping to ride the homestretch with our returning champions. However, I got a call last night from our friend visiting from Chicago. He got a late start but I'm not sure how late. I hope he caught up to some other riders that were slowed down by the rain storm. I'm playing the waiting game at the moment until I touch base with him before heading out myself. I could easily ride to Breezewood, Bedford, or Somerset from my parent's house in Eburg. Talk about "1st world problems" I missed his call while having dinner with my great aunt. I should have called back and left a message, but I sent a text instead. Only later, I realized that I can't send text messages from my phone (I use a google-voice number for that) so that text got lost in some internet void somewhere. Slept with my phone by my ear, ready to roll out on a moment's notice, only to wake up to a shining sun. I tried calling him an hour ago, but no word yet. I don't think I've ever been so anxious to go jump on my bike.
headloss
2014-04-26 06:30:23
Confirmed by Colin: Stef finished at 9:43 p.m. Has anyone else reported in?
stuinmccandless
2014-04-26 20:51:57
I think stef is the first to check in. We had a small group down at the point to welcome her in and to our knowledge she is first overall.
marko82
2014-04-26 22:03:02
Marko82 wrote:I think stef is the first to check in. We had a small group down at the point to welcome her in and to our knowledge she is first overall.
I love Pittsburgh! Yinz rock!
headloss
2014-04-26 22:52:35
I encourage more ladies to do things like this. It is usually a sausagefest and I know there are other strong, capable ladies out there. Thanks to my friends who greeted me at the finish!
stefb
2014-04-27 11:09:12
Congrats, Stef!
teamdecafweekend
2014-04-27 14:53:13
Congrats, Stef!! You are simply amazing! I absolutely love that you beat them all.
srpit
2014-04-27 17:17:04
Congratulations are indeed in order for Stef's much-deserved win! I also saw that Jim G. came in earlier today, and Nate from Chicago arrived at the point just before 7:30 p.m. today. I imagine Shawn is getting to the point at or around right now. Nate went through quite an ordeal to even get on the road. I will ask him to recount the ordeal here, but the short of it is that Amtrak screwed up giving him the bike in Pittsburgh, and instead sent it on to New York, which prevented me from delivering it to Philly (to get around some luggage rules which prohibit bikes on the train to Philly). Amtrak was supposed to correct the error and have the bike at the Philly train station a half hour before the race started, but the bike did not arrive until around noon. He was on the road by around 1:00 p.m., an eight hour delay. To his credit, he was far more calm about it than I would have been.
jmccrea
2014-04-27 20:04:40
Jacob McCrea wrote:(to get around some luggage rules which prohibit bikes on the train to Philly).
A subtle reminder to call and harass Amtrak again. If I could have loaded my bike onto Amtrak in Altoona, I would have made it to the Liberty Bell too. Thanks for the update, I was wondering when Nate finished!
headloss
2014-04-27 21:27:30
Stefb, congrats!
mikhail
2014-04-27 23:24:09
Congratulations to Stef for her first-place finish, to everyone who tackled the challenge, and especially to those first-timers who stuck to their guns and refused to quit. Westbound is hard no matter what...facing the weather challenges yinz did adds a whole dose of epic to the mix. (And my deepest sympathies for those who missed the turn for the abandoned turnpike, and merrily rode up and over two 800' bonus mountains. Ouchie.)
reddan
2014-04-28 07:08:53
That was really a tough ride. Not so sure I'm still jealous. You all have my respect CtC'ers.
jonawebb
2014-04-28 08:59:23
As these things tend to be, that was a lot of fun but also a lot of misery. Maaaad props to Stef for her win. So much respect.
2014-04-28 12:48:34
^^ Congrats to you Sarah!
teamdecafweekend
2014-04-28 13:32:15
^^ and Shawn and Jim too!
teamdecafweekend
2014-04-28 13:34:23
Everyone that did that ride deserves a huge, heaping, cup full of admiration - I don't care how long it took them. I'm so sorry to hear about Nate's Amtrak debacle. You have to respect someone that starts out that far behind and decides to still ride the race. That would be pretty lonely knowing you're the only one back there.
srpit
2014-04-28 14:43:37
srpit wrote:That would be pretty lonely knowing you’re the only one back there.
And on top of that, his phone died... I was going to meet him in Breezewood and ride in the rest of the way, had I not completely lost contact with him until he caught up with Shawn.
headloss
2014-04-28 16:27:39
Congrats Stef! I seriously don't know how you do it - you are BAD ASS. To everyone who rode through the rain to get to Breezewood that first night - freeking amazing! My admiration and respect to you all. And congratulations to everyone who finished. What a ride :)
jimg
2014-04-28 18:47:02
Congrats, Stef. And fantastic write up. It almost makes me want to Crush The Commonwealth someday. Almost.
lizzimac
2014-04-29 07:25:37
Congrats, Stef. And fantastic write up. It almost makes me want to Crush The Commonwealth someday. Almost.
Next year is eastbound...that's the easier way. *hint, hint*
reddan
2014-04-29 07:26:51
Dan, you are sadistic. It is also more realistic to do eastbound without sleeping. That brings up another point: good for all of the first timers doing it the hard way this year. Next year will be easy.
stefb
2014-04-29 07:37:38
Dan, you are sadistic.
It is also more realistic to do eastbound without sleeping.
I prefer to think of myself as "encouraging." (Or "enabling.") ("Instigating?") if anyone has hopes of setting a new eastbound record next year, skipping sleep is pretty much mandatory. The Tressler brothers hold the current record of 28:28 (I think); beating that would be doable, but tough: basically, a total of two hours off the bike, and a rolling average of 15 mph.
reddan
2014-04-29 07:43:40
I think that if you want to beat their time you'd need to ride as partners, as they did, to share the burden of the wind. Or ride a recumbent. Either way seems a little fishy to me.
jonawebb
2014-04-29 08:09:30
I think that if you want to beat their time you’d need to ride as partners, as they did, to share the burden of the wind. Or ride a recumbent. Either way seems a little fishy to me.
You'd have to be crazy to ride a recumbent on CtC.
reddan
2014-04-29 08:12:07
You’d have to be crazy to ride a recumbent on CtC. or You’d have to be crazy to ride a recumbent on CtC. So a double negative equals.....
marko82
2014-04-29 09:14:28
So a double negative equals…..
...2X crazy and a side of contrarianism, hold the common sense.
reddan
2014-04-29 09:18:26
I'd try a recumbent before I tried a tall bike...
headloss
2014-04-29 09:45:19
reddan wrote:Why settle for one or the other?
"Drew crossed the finish line, three days late with only a mild concussion and one broken arm." On the bright side, I don't think you'd need fenders?
headloss
2014-04-29 11:42:21
reddan wrote:Congratulations to Stef for her first-place finish, to everyone who tackled the challenge, and especially to those first-timers who stuck to their guns and refused to quit. Westbound is hard no matter what…facing the weather challenges yinz did adds a whole dose of epic to the mix. (And my deepest sympathies for those who missed the turn for the abandoned turnpike, and merrily rode up and over two 800? bonus mountains. Ouchie.)
Congrats everyone! It was definitely a better year for me and I think I was more prepared. My rain gear didn't do anything to stop the downpours though, that was definitely the lowest point when the second one hit around midnight after Cowan's gap. Climbing to Breezewood sucked really bad but, I already saw the abandoned turnpike a couple years ago, it was dark and raining anyways. I also naturally slow down before tunnels... ;) The tunnels might have been tempting to sleep in as well. No regrets now but I'll make sure to never do that again. I wrote some notes down, I'm really bad at actually publishing anything so I just hit the button on this one otherwise it will still be sitting in my drafts like 2012 is.
flys564
2014-04-29 11:45:18
Perspective: Tressler bros averaged 13.3 mph for 28 hours including stops. Chewman averaged 14.72mph for 8 Days 7 hours and 34 mins. im guessing somebody super legit could do sub 20
steevo
2014-05-01 10:20:23
I don't think there is any doubt that a sub 20 is very do-able by even someone moderately legit. ("moderately legit" means "super awesome" by non-racer type riders) A sub-20 600K is not too common, but certainly not unheard of, in the randonneuring world, and rando isn't even a race. That said, most 600K brevets are done with one or two loops, not point to point, so the issue of prevailing winds can be an even bigger factor on how fast or slow you go on CTC, by comparision. On the other hand, CTC doesn't have all that much climbing. Only about 50 feet per mile, which would be considerd by most as downright moderate it it was a 600K rando course. Considerating that your crossing the Appalacians in the process, it's surprising. The GAP, for as much as well all complain about it, does have a redeeming feature of cutting out boatloads of climbing.
tomh
2014-05-01 11:46:14
One thing that makes CtC significantly different to RAAM, and even a bit atypical for traditional brevets, is that there is no support. Doing a fast rolling average in RAAM is made simpler (NOT to imply it's easy!!!) because you don't have to carry anything beyond yourself; even in most 600Ks, you've got an opportunity to swap clothes, tires, etc. at the overnight controle. I dunno. I think sub-24 would be *possible* for a strong rider with weather on their side; that would require something like a 17.5 mph rolling average, and less than 2 hours total off-bike time. Sub 20 would require a 20mph average, and less than an hour off-bike. That's pushing it pretty hard, IMO, and would require a high tolerance for calorie-dense food eaten solely on-bike. I'd like to see the Chewman take a crack at a sub-24 run on the CtC route someday.
reddan
2014-05-01 13:07:41
reddan wrote:I’d like to see the Chewman take a crack at a sub-24 run on the CtC route someday.
Chew will not do, due to trail goo.
jonawebb
2014-05-01 13:17:22
Hmm. Now that I think about it a bit more, it would take a "first place finisher at PBP" type of rider to break 20 hours. I'd think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for a rider to limit off-bike time to about an hour. That would give them a 15 minute stop every 4 hours or so to re-mix a bladder of frankenfood. So 385 miles in 19 hours moving is 20.3 mph average riding speed. We've seen guys in 24 hour races do better than that, but they weren't contending with rail trails, abandoned turnpikes, and traffic lights (not a minor thing to deal with in getting through York and Lancaster). Considering the fastest PBP times are 42-43 hours, a sub 20-hour CTC would be a fairly similar feat.
tomh
2014-05-01 15:33:18
I do wanna see the look on the chewman's face when I tell him that RAAM was easier cause there is support. :) (I actually don't believe that.. I just wanna say it for shits and giggles). Dan b and I have been exchanging emails about riding next year..
stefb
2014-05-01 18:51:34
Stef! I had no idea it was just a few days ago! Holy crap, you are the bomb. Congrats!
kbrooks
2014-05-01 20:38:35
@flyS564, re: " I saw one rider with a pannier as I entered Rockwood who wasn’t racing that yelled something about crushing it. Who was he? " *waves* that was the Drewster! :D
headloss
2014-05-02 01:08:40
Sub 20 would be pretty darn amazing. Eating, voiding, route finding, standing in line at Sheetz, Traffic, stop lights, weather, getting lost, wind, flat tires, etc make that sound almost impossible to me. Sub-24 could happen with a group of maybe no more than three that has a solid system of drafting, eating , and keeping stops to a minimum.
eric
2014-05-03 10:39:05
I would have to insert a urinary catheter, and carry an entire pizza in my handlebar bag
stefb
2014-05-03 21:07:27
I can barely handle the thought of a urinary catheter standing still, let alone trying to bike with one. And any significant distance, just never mind. Somewhere in there we cross the line from Rule #5 to "what, are you nuts?"
stuinmccandless
2014-05-03 22:12:03
Triathletes have a solution to the urination problem.
jonawebb
2014-05-04 06:57:33
Any legit bike racer knows how to urinate while going downhill. You simply wait for a 2 min section that is 3-5% and straight and pull to the side and go. If it is sub 60 degrees and raining, peeing yourself in the last few miles warms your legs up again and is one of the best feelings on earth.
steevo
2014-05-06 06:38:59
If it is sub 60 degrees and raining, peeing yourself in the last few miles warms your legs up again and is one of the best feelings on earth.
If yinz didn't shave your legs, maybe yinz wouldn't have to piddle on 'em to warm up.
reddan
2014-05-06 06:52:31
Reddan: If yinz didn’t shave your legs, maybe yinz wouldn’t have to piddle on ‘em to warm up. Oh, man! Pee on razor burn! As they say, "Yer in for a treat!"
mick
2014-05-06 11:20:49
Anyone hear the 2015 start date yet?
punchcard
2014-12-09 17:34:03
What a coincidence punchcard! I just sat down at the computer to ask the same question of the forum and saw your post. Help someone, anyone! I'm putting in for vacation days for 2015 and would like to know as soon as possible.
kristopher
2014-12-09 20:05:32
Whenever it is - I'm ready to CRUSH it - or be crushed by it!
mmfs
2014-12-09 21:26:09
After finishing last year, I swore it was a good experiance that I'd never do again. 7 months later, I'm already picking out my clothing and gear. I am freaking excited about 2015 CTC!!! Last year was just hoping to finish. This year is about pushing myself a little more.
smarti6
2014-12-10 09:20:32
People start asking about dates earlier every year.
eric
2014-12-10 12:40:36
I hope it won't be the 17th because I will probably be on my period!
stefb
2014-12-10 16:00:52
You're too funny Steph! For what it's worth I took a look at the moon phases for the month and the weekend of the 17th is New Moon (in plain English...that's no moon light). I vote for the 24th where there will be approximately 1/2 moon. On a clear night that half moon would make a nice difference in visibility. Unfortunately Full Moon is Apr 4th....a bit early I think and also holiday Easter weekend.
kristopher
2014-12-10 16:14:41
Eric has the final say in it though and I think it is totally random. And no matter what weekend it is, the weather is always craptastic! It is part of the charm.
stefb
2014-12-10 16:22:51
now it's guaranteed to be the 17th.
vannever
2014-12-10 23:22:35
Ok Eric. It is jan 1. Give us a date!
stefb
2015-01-01 08:09:22
I hear it is April 24
stefb
2015-01-05 14:00:16
Thanks for sharing the info on the Crush date guys!
kristopher
2015-01-05 15:40:00
I need to upgrade my bike computer for this ride. Currently just using an inexpensive Cateye and want to step it up to GPS mapping etc. Any recommendations? Also would like tips on keeping it running during the really long days.
kristopher
2015-01-18 09:12:52
I have a garmin 810. I also have a small charger that allows a USB out so I can take turns charging my phone and my gps with their own respective cords. I put it in my bento box feeder that is behind my stem on top of my top tube and run the cord to the gps
stefb
2015-01-18 10:07:23
@Kristopher: a GPS won't hurt, but it really isn't necessary for CtC. The route is marked very well; a basic comp to track miles traveled (average speed is nice too) is really all you need. That said, for keeping one running, you will probably need an external battery pack or a dynamo hub with a USB power adapter of some kind. Locally, Jim Logan has used GPS devices on many of his rides...you can contact him via email or the Pittsburgh-Randos mailing list, if you have any questions. [Edited to add:] Yeesh, Stef. Think we watch this thread too closely?
reddan
2015-01-18 10:08:44
Thanks stefb and reddan! Question about the power pack ........power seems to be measured by "mAh". How much do you recommend? Would 2400 be enough or would I need 4000. My basic computer is fine and I've got plenty of experience with maps, charts, etc (I was a navigator in the Air Force for many years.....even using a sextant when flying over the ocean...man, that dates me a bit) but I'm ready to tool up to the 21st century. Suggestion......we're still using the 2014 Crush thread. Not having given it a go yet I don't think it's my place to start a 2015 thread....maybe on of you vets could start it?
kristopher
2015-01-18 10:41:35
Kristopher, it depends on your equipment. On one hand, power is P=V*A, on other hand, power is energy (Joel) per second. So total amount of energy battery could supply is Power*Time. Battery is supposed to be stable in term of voltage (there are some changes during discharge time but those are not much from our point of view). So for a given battery V is constant. E=P*T=V*A*T where V=const. So A*T is used to indicate battery capacity. 2400 mA*h means that this battery is capable (roughly) to produce 5 Volts (this is USB stansard), 2.4 Ampere DC current during an hour. Or 5 V, 1.2 Amp during two hours. Or 5 V, 0.12 A during 20 hours. I have Garmin Edge 500. It typically works around 18 hours non-stop with new battery. I think it has something around 400 mA*h internally -- based on the size of the device. So 2400 mA*h would be enough roughly for 18*6=108 hours plus th first charge of Garmin itself. But this device is old with very small and primitive screen. Garmin Edge 510, 810, 910 have a bigger screen and they can show maps. Those devices are more powerful and 810 is more powerful than 510. This increases energy consumption. They have bigger internal battery. According to 810 manual it has 1100 mAh rechargable, built-in lithium-ion battery. With typical work time 15 hours 2400mA*h pack would provide additional 32 hours so total time would be around 47 hours. Take into account that very rare 2400 mA*h are real 2400. Most often it would be 2300. And chinese version would about 2000 (if you buy from AliExpress, DX, or even Amazon, Newegg if goodies shipped from mainland China).
mikhail
2015-01-18 11:51:22
@Kristopher: good idea, here ya go: http://localhost/mb/topic/2015-crush-the-commonwealth (But, next time, feel free not to wait for us codgers and curmudgeons. We're cranky, reactionary, and set in our ways. If this thread was good enough for 2009, it's good enough for 2015. Now get off my lawn.)
reddan
2015-01-18 11:56:26
Wow! Thanks Mikhail for the EE lesson. I'll check out some brands and may just go for the 4000 as I may be using it for the phone too.
kristopher
2015-01-18 12:16:17
yes, thanks Mikhail !
vannever
2015-01-18 14:16:55