BIKEPGH MESSAGE BOARD ARCHIVE

« Back to Archive

2017 RIDING CONDITIONS REPORT

By acclamation, this annual thread replaces the seasonal conditions threads. Ask questions and answer about conditions of trials/bike lanes/roads here:
epanastrophe
2017-01-05 18:48:11
I'm ambivalent about a general thread, I'm mostly interested in the ice/snow conditions on EFT/Jail Trail and Downtown, but whatever. 1/5/17 17H15 Downtown to Oakland.  Downtown roads were slick, EFT/Jail Trail had 1/2 inch of powder, that said, there are those couple of slick ice puddles that are under the snow.  No carving.  1/2 inch on the Wood Ramp, same on the Second Ave sidewalk, Bates sidewalk has some treacherous segments...almost ate it a couple of times, Secondary Oakland streets are slick.  Be careful.  I expect tomorrow's commute won't be much fun, I brought the fast beater with 32s in this morning and spun out going uphill several times, tomorrow I'll go with the studded tires.
ka_jun
2017-01-05 20:21:38
Pretty messy out there. Expect by morning it will be frozen and icy. Time for snow tires.
jonawebb
2017-01-05 21:27:21
Downtown streets looked fine, though no carving is recommended. The Penn Ave cycle track has not been plowed.
chrishent
2017-01-06 07:55:36
Friendship Ave bike lanes were mostly unplowed. S. Milllvale Bridge lanes are unplowed and slush/ice (I rode in the regular traffic lane), bayard lanes were untouched as well, but not too slick, after bigelow it was much better as the oversalting pitt does spills in to the street. Side streets are pretty bad and can be very icy.  Take it slow and watch those turns. Been considering putting the studded tires on if we're going to keep getting single digit mornings.
benzo
2017-01-06 09:03:36
1/6/17 08H00  Oakland to Downtown.  Oakland secondary roads were slick, Bates St is plowed but has that wet sheen look to it...the sidewalk looks like it has been shoveled around half way down, the lower section is as it typically is (i.e. garbage), Second Ave sidewalk has around 1/2 inch of powder on it, Wood Ramp has an inch, EFT/Jail Trail from Wood Ramp to Second Ave Parking Garage has an inch of powder on it with the aforementioned couple of ice slicks under there somewhere, Second Ave parking garage has been shoveled (this is a fairly new occurrence, yay!), next to PNC is treated, multi-use path between Grant and Smithfield has been treated and salted, Downtown has been plowed, but has that wet sheen on some sections.  Went with the 26 x 1.95 studded tires, did not regret.  
ka_jun
2017-01-06 10:07:21
Do you guys keep spare bikes around, or swap out mounted wheels, when it gets wintry? I can't imagine changing a tire on an existing rim just because of pavement conditions. I'm finding I'm riding less, now that I've put a dynamo on the front. I'm very reluctant to swap out wheels. But I suppose I could put better winter tires on the beater.
stuinmccandless
2017-01-06 10:33:53
I change my tires for the winter which means I ride on snow tires sometimes when I don't need them.
jonawebb
2017-01-06 10:46:29
I have a fast beater utility rig for fast dry/rain conditions, and a dedicated ice/snow utility beater that has the studded tires for when I have to grind through.
ka_jun
2017-01-06 10:58:07
North Shore trail from Clemente Bridge to Peggy's Harbor has a half inch to an inch of powder, with some plowed/salted spots by the stadiums and science center. Most of the spots have seen snow since they were plowed, so they have a dusting. Mostly easy ride, with some old tracks starting to ice in the sun. Never lost grip though. Still a water break by the Cardello building, so keep an eye out for icing after the sun sets. Fort Duquesne ped bridge has not been plowed or salted. Lots of tracks in the snow, mostly along the far railing. I only rode NS to the Point. It was plowed and salted at the end of the bridge but still had a lot of icy patches on the downhill slope. Clemente Bridge lane to North Side looked icy, so I took the lane which was fine. In regards to bikes, I only have a Trek hybrid. I put knobby snow tires on at the last snow and will leave them on til weather is less likely to ice. If we have warm days, I just ride slower on those vs. road tires.
katzenmiau
2017-01-06 13:00:32
@katzenmiau, thanks for the info about the Cardello building.  I went running several weeks ago and i couldn't figure out why that field looked strange -- filled with snow and ice.  I figured maybe it was a water line break but I couldn't find any source at all . My guess is that it is seeping into the field and when it runneth over it runs onto the trail. Has anyone reported it to PWSA? I use my former daily driver as a crappy weather bike.  Has 26"x1.95 knobby tires on it.  I used to commute through the snow to Oakland all the time with my former job.  Would do well in any condition except for ice.  I remember biting it hard at least once when Negley was totally covered with black ice years ago, and then struggling to get up and over onto the sidewalk/front lawns so I could walk the bike past that area.  Clipless shoes made it all worse.
edronline
2017-01-06 13:33:29
@edronline I reported it to 311 on Dec 16, with the ticket listed as "in progress". I noticed it around Thanksgiving, but wasn't riding that way as often in early December. Riding past today, it's about halfway down the small field to the neighborhood side of the trail. A ridiculous amount of water is still leaking. They referred it to PWSA and this is the only other note on my report via the 311 website: Date: 12/20/2016 11:41:00 AM User: pgh2o Comments: REF: 683215 INVESTIGATE WATER LEAKING ON BIKE TRAIL. B.YD THIS CALLED ORIGINATED FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE INFO NO OTHER INFORMATION WAS GIVEN.
katzenmiau
2017-01-06 13:44:15
Was in Oakland on the bike running a quick errand. Same thing as this morning's report. Bayard from Devonshire to Neville has wheel ruts, but no clear plowing or salting done, kept the outer wheel rut and was fine. Bayard from Neville to Craig is in pretty bad shape in terms of the lanes. Construction on outbound Bayard has those metal plates in the lane and I almost bit it going there. Bayard from Craig to Bigelow is ok, rougher in some spots than others, but nonetheless generally unplowed. As noted above, Pitt salting kinda got it in some spots, but since the lanes are so narrow anyways, keeping to the outside of the lane is advisable. Rest of the lanes were getting more and more slushy as the time went by, use caution and watch the turns.
jason-pgh
2017-01-06 14:10:21
I think there's a specific number for pwsa for emergency leaks. I don't know that # but someone posted it before.
edronline
2017-01-06 15:22:10
Rode the Junction Hollow and Jail Trails around 10am, then again at 1:30pm. In the morning they were snow-covered, but they had been salted by the time I came back through and there was a clear strip on both in the afternoon. Are they typically cleared in the morning? Or later? I think it's awesome they're treated at all, but judging from the number of tire tracks, people still use them to commute even on a cold day like today. Also rode the South Side trail, not cleared, but seems to be less popular for commuting...at least today.
kbrooks
2017-01-06 17:52:55
I've been very happy with the salting on EFT and Junction (and Pocussett) trails. Somebody cares! The Boston tweet shows one of those sidewalk-width plows. Does Pgh have one for Penn?
ahlir
2017-01-06 20:12:39
I now have studded tires that I mounted on my cross bike. They're not terribly wide, but I run them at 40psi when there is snow. It is nice because the bike also has disc brakes. They will stay on the bike until it is gravel (or mud) season. I took the north shore trail to Millvale from Federal Street around 4pm today. It wasn't treated, but whoever drives their vehicle on the trail packed down the snow and made it more pleasant to ride. Still assholes for driving on the trail though. I don't see any reason for it to happen from 31st street to 9th-ish.   The sidewalk on the 40th street bridge (not the city side) was a bitch sketchy looking, but I didn't slide at all.
stefb
2017-01-06 20:21:31
@stefb, vehicles on the trail are from either alcosan (they check their outflows several times a week, if not daily) as well as city of pgh garbage pickup. Typically both these agencies use pickup or slightly heavier trucks.
edronline
2017-01-06 21:41:04
On the topic of keeping the trails clear in winter, I wrote up my thoughts at length in this blog post.
stuinmccandless
2017-01-07 02:36:58
By late yesterday afternoon, the bike lanes on the Clemente Bridge were completely without ice or snow.
fultonco
2017-01-07 10:24:09
Anybody have advice about 40th street bridge? I'm not crazy about riding with traffic across the bridge (drivers get blood-thirsty when crossing rivers, it seems) but the sidewalks are never cleared. 311 says it's PennDot's responsibility, but they've taken days or weeks to get back to me about glass/trash/ice concerns. When the sidewalk gets packed down and icy, I'll risk it with the cars but I see so many pedestrians struggling their way across.
parvipica
2017-01-07 19:45:31
Looks like it is the buck being passed between city and penndot per lots of people here. Each one says the other should do it.   I emailed the city's bike peds coordinator about this issue several weeks ago and never heard a response. Maybe time to go to a state Rep, or city council person, or county council?
edronline
2017-01-07 20:51:28
@dani : see the 311 thread regarding 40th St Bridge buck-passing. In response to my glass-on-the-sidewalk report to PennDOT, a few days ago I got a phone call from a nice guy at PennDOT District 11, Michael Adams, 412-429-3813, who explained to me that although 40th St Bridge is owned by the state, PennDOT has an agreement with Pittsburgh that Pittsburgh is responsible for cleaning of the roadbed and sidewalks (sweeping and snow removal) while PennDOT is responsible for structural repairs. I believe him. So if there's a snow or ice problem on that bridge, I'd 311 it: http://www.pittsburghpa.gov/311/form
paulheckbert
2017-01-07 22:32:43
I drove (in car) over the Birmingham Bridge this afternoon:  the bike lane didn't look like it was plowed at all since Thursday's snow & was a frozen mess in both directions.  Since today is Sunday, I guess the city isn't going to be clearing it any time soon.  BTW, there was both foot and cycle tracks visible where the lane should be.
marko82
2017-01-08 18:56:50
thanks @paulheckbert. i'm gonna make 40th street bridge my new favorite thing to hassle people in charge about! speakin' of which, just rode across it. sidewalks are an icy, snow-packed mess. so's the bike lane on S.milvale ave in bloomfield. crunchy mess. look out.
parvipica
2017-01-08 19:22:24
1/9/17 08H00  Oakland to Downtown.  Oakland secondary roads were dry, Bates St dry…not sure about the sidewalk, Second Ave sidewalk has patches of ice that are avoidable, Wood Ramp ok, EFT/Jail Trail from Wood Ramp to Second Ave Parking Garage is pretty fast & dry, Second Ave parking garage fine...patchy ice next to the Jail that is avoidable, next to PNC dry, multi-use path between Grant and Smithfield has dry, Downtown dry, Went with the 26 x 1.95 studded tires, could have went w/ the 700 x 32 slicks..
ka_jun
2017-01-09 12:56:51
per weather underground for tomorrow (Tuesday) AM.  Be safe.   Tuesday 80 % Precip. / --A chance of snow...rain likely with a chance of freezing rain in the morning...then rain with snow likely in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Not as cold with highs in the lower 40s. Ice accumulation around a trace. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
edronline
2017-01-09 16:09:25
Anyone have a report on conditions of EFT/Jail Trail?  Secondary roads don't look plowed.  
ka_jun
2017-01-10 07:17:40
Seems like everything is pretty easy right now. It's warmed up quite a bit already.
jonawebb
2017-01-10 09:02:04
About an inch of hard-packed snow from Millvale to Clemente Bridge on the trail, with some slippy, icy spots. Getting better by the hour I assume, but be careful until things soften up a bit. Roads seem fine, if you've got a fender or don't mind salty, brown slush all over your face.
dberlin
2017-01-10 09:15:23
Lots of slush in the bike lanes on bayard/bigelow and s.millvale. But I didn't encounter any Ice that I know of.
benzo
2017-01-10 09:24:31
1/10/17 08H00  Oakland to Downtown.  Oakland secondary roads had the two tire marks with flattened slush, Bates St sidewalk was cleared a third of the way down, bottom 2/3 was slush, Second Ave sidewalk has light powder, Wood Ramp ok where someone cleared a path, EFT/Jail Trail from Wood Ramp to Second Ave Parking Garage is pretty fast but has about a travel lane worth of clear pavement, First Ave parking garage was being swept by maintenance, cool man, patchy ice next to the Jail on a short segment, next to PNC powder, multi-use path between Grant and Smithfield salted and cleared, Downtown fine.   Moving to St. Paul, MN.  Going to miss riding the GAP.  Looking forward to riding the MRT.  http://www.dot.state.mn.us/bike/mrt/
ka_jun
2017-01-10 12:55:33
@JZ good luck!!!
edronline
2017-01-10 14:13:36
North Shore trail at Aerotech is ice. I started at the park and ride, went down as soon as I got on the trail and went back to my car to drive into work. Be careful I have a feeling there are some secret ice patches on the roads and trails.
jstalnaker2112
2017-01-11 07:34:48
Yes, don't be fooled by the temperature. There's a lot of small black ice spots. Be careful
chrishent
2017-01-11 07:46:28
Construction at bayard and Craig. Bike lane blocked. Traffic directed around machinery in to the left turn lane.
benzo
2017-01-11 09:15:06
North shore trail between millvale and stadiums completely ice free. Goose poop full by the stadiums.
edronline
2017-01-11 11:14:17
1/11/17 08H00  Oakland to Downtown.  Oakland secondary roads were dry, Bates St dry…the sidewalk dry, Second Ave sidewalk dry, Wood Ramp has trace ice, EFT/Jail Trail from Wood Ramp to First Ave Parking Garage has some ice where water had pooled/light ice, next to PNC fine, multi-use path between Grant and Smithfield dry/fine, Downtown dry. @edronline thanks! @
ka_jun
2017-01-11 13:11:05
The ice at Eagle Lake (Baldwin Boro Trail / GAP near Glenwood Bridge) is back. I recommend walking your bike through this stretch, if you don't have studs. A kid was playing on the ice. I heard that a few days ago a cyclist fell due to ice on the eagle-watching slope, and went to the hospital. https://flic.kr/p/PS9ptL
paulheckbert
2017-01-11 21:07:43
hope you brought your rain gear and that was the wettest and rainiest commute I've ever had
ka_jun
2017-01-12 19:00:22
What a difference timing makes. My 945a ride to Oakland was a lovely cool, calm, excellent first commute of the year. My ride out at 645 was similarly calm, with just an occasional dribble and a bunch of spray. Need to charge my lights, though, the plate in the middle of Bayard btwn Craig and Neville was an unpleasant surprise.
epanastrophe
2017-01-12 19:20:47
JZ, were you one of the grinning soaking-wet folks I passed on the jail trail this afternoon? Today I got to enjoy a Millvale-to-McKeesport commute well before sunup, and then back again during the storm. I had so much fun both ways; what a great repreive from the cold!
parvipica
2017-01-12 19:29:41
Not sure if this is the best spot for this post, but at least it will be seen and perhaps re-directed appropriately - 1a FW: Bicycle-Pedestrian Transportation - FedEx Ground Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:55 pm (PST) . Posted by: "Paul McKeown" paultmckeown FedEx in Moon needs advice on how to make their workplace more accessible by bike. Does anyone local want to field this inquiry? Paul M From: Carol Elliott [mailto:carol.elliott@fedex.com] Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:03 PM To: 'info@montourtrail.org'; 'kristin.saunders@pittburghpa.gov'; 'BikePedPA@pa.gov' Cc: Phill Peterson Subject: Bicycle-Pedestrian Transportation - FedEx Ground To: Montour Trail Council Kristen Saunders, Pittsburgh Bike/Pedestrian Coordinator Roy Gothie, PennDOT Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator Greetings, I am a member of the Green Workplace Challenge committee for FedEx Ground located in Moon Township. Our committee wishes to explore options for creating viable bicycle commuting to the FedEx Ground headquarters building. Some challenges and opportunities include: - FedEx Ground campus is on top of a very steep hill. There is no flat access. - Hershinger Road, a less traveled access road to the campus, is rutted, fairly steep, and has no shoulders. - The pedestrian crossing of Montour Run Road at the foot of Hershinger Road does not have a working crosswalk light. Crosswalk striping is faded. - There is an existing gravel path from the Montour Run Road/Hershinger Road intersection that runs up the hill to the Scott Station office campus. - FedEx Ground owns undeveloped land between Hershinger Road and the campus to the west. It may be feasible to build a connector from Hershinger Road across this land, which could be used for both bicycle commuting and pedestrian recreation. We are eager to have advice on how to get started, and how we can get technical assistance on the feasibility of this project. Please let us know how your organization can assist. Thank you. Carol Elliott Database Advisor FedEx Services 1000 FedEx Drive Coraopolis, PA 15108 1.412.262.6684 TEL 1.412.859.5330 FAX fedex.com/us Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) . Top ^ 1b Re: FW: Bicycle-Pedestrian Transportation - FedEx Ground Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm (PST) . Posted by: Yes, I'll contact Fed Ex. Phyllis
fultonco
2017-01-13 16:21:57
We did a leaf cleanup on the Steel Valley Trail (part of the GAP) near Sandcastle today. The pictures show before and after. Pictured are Mark, Roy Bires, Bob Holder, and George Schmidt. Sadly, George is moving to the Chicago area soon. We'll miss you and your large paws, George! https://flic.kr/p/R1SMBv https://flic.kr/p/RcrP1F
paulheckbert
2017-01-13 16:59:00
@dani if you waved and got a bell back, one of those riders was me.  my smile was probably more of a grimace, due to the fact that I couldn't see out my glasses, though.
ka_jun
2017-01-14 00:09:21
Possible flood N Shore trail between stadiums Flood Advisory Issued: 8:37 PM EST Jan. 15, 2017 – National Weather Service The Flood Advisory is extended for the Ohio River at Pittsburgh. * Until Monday evening. * At 08pm Sunday the stage was 18.5 feet. * Flood stage is 25.0 feet. * Forecast... the river will rise to near 19.0 feet after midnight tonight. * Impact... at 19.0 feet, water begins to flow onto the North Shore riverwalk between the stadiums. Lat... Lon 4043 7999 4045 8005 4047 8003 4045 8001 4046 7999 4045 7998  
edronline
2017-01-16 06:29:32
Seems like the flood advisory was prudent. Tons of mud in a few patches on the North Shore trail, particularly between Rachel Carson and Andy Warhol bridges.
dberlin
2017-01-16 09:20:44
North Shore trail is covered in up to 2" of mud in the low laying areas. There's blockades on the ramps. I found one next to PNC Park stairs, after going under the bridge. Didn't know what it was and ended up slowly rolling through the mud. Got high as soon as I could. There was a police van hanging around. Other areas of the trail from 40th St bridge to Peggy's Harbor have tree debris and puddles about. Should be warm enough that nothing will freeze.
katzenmiau
2017-01-17 10:45:39
Is the water low enough that the crews can get out and clean the trail between the stadiums tomorrow?  (Want to go running tomorrow...)
edronline
2017-01-17 11:32:38
No water on the trails, but it was all wet mud and lots of it. It looked like they were trying to clear it, just before 10am. I'm riding back that way this evening so if anything looks different I'll post another update.
katzenmiau
2017-01-17 11:39:30
North shore trail. Mainly wet between stadiums. Still 1/8th inch mud in front of PNC and Alcoa. City water truck out spraying off the mud as we speak. Poor Alcoa building worker shovelling off mud in that area. Mud a bit slippy so be careful when dark.
edronline
2017-01-18 12:31:56
40th Street bridge sidewalk on the Millvale side (N/E) is mostly clear except 2 feet of broken glass on the Lawrenceville end. North Shore trail is mostly clear of mud and relatively dry. A little bit in the low area east of the Warhol bridge but enough tire tracks to easily navigate over it. There were 4 trucks by the water steps but no one working around 10am. Most of the low area of the trail is free of mud and debris, but there are piles on the edges and at the bottom of some of the ramps. River looks high, so I'd expect it to flood again after tomorrow's rain or over the weekend. Also the water leak by the Cardello building was no longer an issue since Monday that I noticed. Area looks like it's dried out as well. There is still a big lump of salt by the bollard though.
katzenmiau
2017-01-19 10:43:33
Eagle Lake currently dry and passable. North Shore: mud cleanup complete from Ft Duke bridge down to Science Center, but a sawhorse/barricade remains... not sure why it's there, I think DPW forgot about it?   http://imgur.com/a/cUvKY  
rustyred
2017-01-19 12:06:52
At some point today, construction started at the Science Center, there's temporary fencing with sandbags up along the trail and it narrows the trail considerably on the already narrow stretch near the Langley Observatory Clock. Only one bike or pedestrian at a time can fit on the trail there. Really dangerous at normal speeds, a sidewalk detour around the front of the Center needs to be posted.   
rustyred
2017-01-19 18:48:37
it may have been there for a while - and I've just noticed it - but I was very glad today to see a sign on the Ft.Duq bike-walkway, in the Point-to-NorthSide direction, identifying the split between the staircase and the ramp. I've always wondered about a transient cyclist bearing left and going airborne.
vannever
2017-01-19 19:54:58
Sign must be new on ft Duquesne bridge. Don't remember seeing that one before.   Also that narrowing of trail sucks. Can anyone at bikepgh make contact with the science center to find out the plan?  That's a heavily used section especially when science center families go out back to the submarine.  That section is also at the bottom of a little valley on the trail and speeds go up when bike riding either way.
edronline
2017-01-19 21:36:16
I haven't seen the Ft Duq Br sign, but another one just like it should be placed near the north end of the 7th St (Warhol) Bridge, where the bike path makes an abrupt 90-degree turn, and straight sends you down a staircase.
stuinmccandless
2017-01-20 05:18:57
I sent an email to CSC. I used the contact form on their website. Redacted email and reply. Reply first: Dear Eric, Thank you for contacting us and bringing this issue to our attention. I have forwarded your feedback and questions to our project team. The team will evaluate the trail as these restrictions will be in place until sometime in 2018. Thank you again! Justin My email: As a member, I'm excited for the CSC expansion. However, I am a regular trail user and the trail is very restricted by the construction fence. That is a very heavily used section and it is so narrow only one biker or pedestrian can get through at one time. Is there any way the fence could be moved in a bit to rewiden the trail? Or can CSC post a detour around the building? This narrow space will be very unsafe when trail traffic picks up in the spring. Also, how long will the trail be restricted for with the construction? Thanks!
edronline
2017-01-20 12:47:09
On that same topic, this went out with Walk Ride North Side's email newsletter a couple days ago: Kim Amey, Director of Strategic Initiatives for the Science Center, informed us that exterior construction of the Science Center expansion is expected to begin in February, with protective construction fencing going up this week.  Kim reassures us that the North Shore Trail is not anticipated to be detoured for construction activities in 2017, and the construction fencing will not block or narrow the trail in any places.  If at any point we notice the contractor encroaching on the trail with fencing or construction debris, please contact us and the City’s 311 line.
stuinmccandless
2017-01-21 05:31:12
some mud on the southside trail outside of the marina.  slippy when wet n'at.
edronline
2017-01-21 09:42:34
heading to 40th st bridge shortly to take care of the glass!
parvipica
2017-01-22 07:54:12
Thanks @dani! I 311ed two issues today-- Penn Ave bike lane, where it starts at 16th street -- initial bollard missing and another bollard knocked down 1/2 way down the block. Missing manhole cover on north shore trail right where it goes under the road to heinz field.  With the manhole cover off, there's a nice hole that would eat a bike tire.
edronline
2017-01-22 10:59:54
for today, 40th st bridge is free of broken glass, dead birds, and other debris. i've left a little hand broom on a hook at the millvale end of the bridge, should anybody need it to tidy up. please return it when you're done with it! lets keep the air in our tires and the bird carcasses out of our puppy's mouths!
parvipica
2017-01-22 18:52:12
Btw they're having a pothole blitz. So now would be a good time to report them.
jonawebb
2017-01-22 20:18:32
It looks like the fence does impede the trail even though it is almost flush with the edge of the sidewalk.  What they may not realize is that for bikes to safely go through there, sometimes is will be necessary to ride to the extrem side of the wlkway, which then means handlebars will protrude over the edge of the walk.  The fence now does not allow that.
helen-s
2017-01-23 11:59:09
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but strip trail is also blocked off around convention center. Looks like they are doing some pavement work. So strip trail pretty much useless in all parts right now.
edronline
2017-01-25 11:44:08
Bigelow Blvd Bike lanes closed long term for construction on the east side (outbound) of Bigelow blvd between 5th ave and ohara/parkman street, adjacent to soldiers and sailors and Pittsburgh athletic association right before the food trucks. There are concrete barriers blocking it off. Adjacent sidewalk is also closed. Also, bike share station here has been relocated to O’hara and bigelow to accommodate construction. Via @Kieran
benzo
2017-01-25 12:48:45
aforementioned sign on Ft. Duq bridge. this media inserter drives me so f---- batty!  I used the same method as before -- uploading it to my website, then inserting the url via the add media button.  but, doesn't work.   so here's the link to the picture. http://wp.me/a5lxzu-9c  
edronline
2017-01-25 13:25:26
BTW, I like how it looks like the biker and the wheelchair user are having a race, and the wheelchair user is winning, for now (you can tell he's about to pass, because he's smaller and farther away).
jonawebb
2017-01-25 13:43:04
@edronline Is this whole section closed, or is it a smaller segment of the trail just by the Convention Center? Any idea how long it's closed for?
altay
2017-01-25 20:19:20
I was out jogging.  this is what I saw -- the usual section is closed in the strip. However, I remember there being trail access next to that last building (seagate office) in the strip on waterfront place between 11th and 13th.  That entrance was totally barricaded.  Couldn't get on to go downtown.  https://goo.gl/maps/g4MtnLw6Cuv I then ran down Waterfront, make a right on 11th, and took it to the bend before it gets to the Convention Center.  There's another entrance there.  It was barricaded off too. https://goo.gl/maps/XCgaYE5XwZD2 11th changes into ft duq blvd. I ran to the entrance under the convention center.  also barricaded off.  There were some clean energy protesters there (I bet protesting a conference), and they heard me scream a whole string of swear words.  That's when I looked over the rail and saw a bunch of guys working on the trail. https://goo.gl/maps/BhbxdbDJPTs I didn't want to chance running under the convention center down the water feature only to find the trail blocked off again, so instead I ran down ft duq all the way to the park. I didn't go down to the trail on that end to see where the blockage starts, and I didn't check the bridge steps (one of the sister bridges). Given that they had real barricades up, I assume this work is going to be ongoing for a while...
edronline
2017-01-25 20:42:12
The Ft Duq Br sign is a step in the right direction, but I was still kind of disappointed in the small size, and last second nature of the warning it provides. When I rode past for the first time Saturday, I was really hoping for something more along the lines of the former runnels approach along the Montour Trail in Venice. https://goo.gl/photos/q2jVwNEFC6W6Pqpq6 Followed, of course, by an image of what could happen if you don't heed the warning https://goo.gl/photos/3RJ4rLkoUnDUrMER6
smarchit
2017-01-26 08:58:52
Eagle Lake was back last night. On the morning of 1/25 I noticed a PGH Parking Auth crew blowing leaves and garbage from the 2nd Ave Lot onto the Eliza Furnace trail, on my way back through in the evening, I saw that the leaves and garbage were still there, but in neat little piles (as if they were ready for a different crew to come by and remove them, maybe?) If anyone who is using the EFT today still sees the piles, can you let me know? I'd like to 311 that.
rustyred
2017-01-26 12:07:39
Saw on Facebook that tonight's Long Underwear Ride is on, because it will be snowing instead of raining.
stuinmccandless
2017-01-26 15:59:54
EFT is clear of leaf piles.
yalecohen
2017-01-26 20:07:54
Rode the Downtown-side Allegheny River trail from the point out tonight. As of 8pm, the trail was open, if wet and a bit muddy in spots, the entire expected length from the Point to 11th St. The Strip segment, of course, remains closed. The ramp on the downriver side of the 7th St (Warhol) Bridge is also closed; I did not manage to notice whether the upstream ramp is closed as well, though I heard from someone last night that pedestrian access from the bridge into Downtown is also blocked.
epanastrophe
2017-01-26 20:31:08
For want of a better thread... This week I had to leave my bike at work for a couple of days due to (lack of) rain (gear) and take the bus. Today I rode home (in a light drizzle). What a contrast: much more pleasant to travel on a bike, even with all those cars getting in the way. It's good to be reminded of that.
ahlir
2017-01-26 20:31:13
Millvale to ft Duquesne bridge on NST.   Millvale section.  Light dusting snow. Occ black ice. Slippy index 15/100 Pgh section.  Clear to dusting of snow. Most sections slippy index of 2 except for PNC park/watersteps/PNC blind turn of about 25 and back in parking area of 75 only because usual poor drainage areas have turned into ice ponds.
edronline
2017-01-28 10:33:20
S. Millvale and Liberty bike lanes were not cleared. 311-ing after I write this. Rode in the far right of the motorist lane. Most motorists were respectful of my space but I got a face full of snow from one that didn't clear their roof. Penn Ave was clear, maybe a little wet. Bike lanes looked like they got salted, but perhaps overflow from companies along that route. Clemente Bridge was fine. I do not recommend North Shore trail today. At about 10:30am, there was a salt truck on it, but it was relatively wet/slushy with previous tracks that were ice. Use caution if you use this route. Sidewalk near the stadiums wasn't the best but better than sliding into the river. Science Center and Casino were mostly clear but snow was coming down so that might change. Rest of the trail to Peggy's Harbor had snow drift and icing tracks.
katzenmiau
2017-01-30 11:40:43
glad to know that they actually occasionally salt part of the north shore trail!  @katzenmiau, where on the trail was the truck?
edronline
2017-01-30 13:01:21
@edronline it was between the stadiums, close to PNC Park when I popped down onto the trail (I went down to check it out but took a ramp back up to the street shortly after). I emailed Bike PGH staff about this last week, so I know they're working on getting some consistency. I only ever see the areas by the stadiums salted lately.
katzenmiau
2017-01-30 13:05:49
I guess that's because it is big enough for a salt truck.  That area tends to be the area that's best taken care of by the city.   One issue that bugs me that I keep forgetting to bring up, and may be better brought up in another thread, is the boats that dock in that section every summer and fall. They're docking there for free and they use the trail very heavily (for partying).  Me thinks that the city should charge them rent (to help pay for the costs that the city bears for cleaning up the partying and extra police needed) and enforce the no-parallel-boat-docking rules). this really kids up my OCPD every summer and and fall when I jog/ride past there. Imagine being able to stay in your summer home, rent free.  That's what some of these boats get for 5-6 months of the year.  And nothing gets my hackles up more than Saturday or Sunday early morning jogging through garbage and vomit between the stadiums. This is a tragedy of the commons type economic problem and the way to solve it would be to make boat parking not free.  city would need to collect a rent, whether it be via a permit or a license.  And the money could go directly for the costs of parking there - police, trail maintenance, and trash cleanup.
edronline
2017-01-30 14:13:08
The end of Jail/Eliza Furnace trail at Grant St is open; not sure if anyone previously noted it. Pavement is smooth between the mural (still falling apart with a cone in the middle) and Golden Triangle bikes. The barrier at GT bikes seems bigger than before, but maybe because I haven't ridden this stretch in a while. They seemed more ominous. Everything is wet so be careful when the temps dip later.
katzenmiau
2017-02-01 13:21:39
From Friends of the Riverfront Twitter just now:
TRAIL ALERT: Rainwater is accumulating on the Three Rivers Heritage Trail/Great Allegheny Passage adjacent to Keystone/Sandcastle. Caution!
jonawebb
2017-02-07 10:31:31
Rankin Br, last Sunday.
  • Drivers routinely use the buffer zone; it's good to have one.
  • The bike lane is not being maintained; some of the debris is big.
  • And the perennial question: who is responsible for cleaning bridges? Yes, I know, it's always the other government. You know how you occasionally come across these signs next to the road that say "Allegheny County maintenance stops here"? They should have like signs on bridges, maybe with a phone number or url, telling us who to bug.
ahlir
2017-02-07 14:32:16
This is between boroughs and a bet that is a state or county road, so the answer is the same entity that salts it. I'd complain to whoever on county council covers that territory, or both members if the river divides districts.   from looking at the bad map on the county website it looks like it is both districts 8 and 11. http://apps.alleghenycounty.us/website/councilrep.asp?dist=8 http://apps.alleghenycounty.us/website/councilrep.asp?dist=11 Per their bios both have terminal degrees (MBA, Phd) and have been involved at the university level and also service like volunteering at homeless shelters, so they will probably be receptive to the poor sap on a bike who just wants to get across the bridge but doesn't want to die because they needed to use the traffic lane due to neglect cleaning the bridge.  
edronline
2017-02-07 16:11:07
We discussed this here: http://localhost/message-board/topic/rankin-bridge-bike-lanes/ On that thread, @pierce said:
The Rankin bridge is maintained by the county. I posted in another thread that the county street sweeper is undergoing winter maintenance, so is unavailable, as of a week or two ago. The supervisor, who said he is a cyclist, said he would send guys out to pickup any large items in the lane when I last spoke with him.
So maybe contact Pierce for more info.
jonawebb
2017-02-07 16:30:08
That post was from 3-21-2016 so presumably the sweeper is fixed.
edronline
2017-02-07 17:54:24
I snapped that pic near the northern end. Further on I ran across (though not over) a ~6in rock, one of those thingies they screw on top of a gas canister and random lengths of lumber. Running down the buffer zone was fine but of course doesn't feel all that safe, give the speeding drivers. Maybe the sweeper broke down, again.
ahlir
2017-02-07 19:59:25
Just a heads up, temperatures will be dropping through the day, and will get to sub-freezing after dark. Anyplace that's wet or a puddle at sunset will likely be ice in the morning, under whatever snow that's expected. My main source for weather is this graph from the National Weather Service.
stuinmccandless
2017-02-08 06:56:40
Downtown streets are plowed but not clean. Take it easy when cornering. From what I could see, the Penn Ave cycle track through the Cultural District is unplowed.
chrishent
2017-02-09 07:15:06
Haven't been out riding, but from my shoveling, can tell you that snow is heavy and wet.  Once shoveled everything is clear underneath except that there seems to be a teeny layer of ice under everything, probably from a combination of the snow on top of rain and the fact that the ground was able to heat up a little bit over the last few weeks of warmer temps, allowing for some melting and re-freezing. Pgh declared this a 'level 2' snow meaning that they have up to 32 hours (!!!) after the snow stopped (i.e, 4 am this morning) to clear everything.  That means by late Friday.  By this weekend (50s and rainy), mother nature will take care of the snow anyway. Bottom line -- roads will probably be fine in the 'burbs and crappy in the city today.
edronline
2017-02-09 07:48:39
Liberty Ave (Lawrenceville / Bloomfield) through lanes are mostly clear, but the center, turn lanes, and especially corners are slushy. Don't bother with the bike lanes, though, they haven't. Side streets, especially small ones like Edmond, have been scraped off but are not by any stretch clean yet. Millvale Ave from Liberty to Baum somehow is in this last barely-scraped-off category...
epanastrophe
2017-02-09 09:46:24
It appears that nearly all the snow clearing along bigelow and ohara sidewalks  in oakland was done by pushing all the snow in to the bike lane instead of keeping it on the property.  So, the bike lanes are all totally blocked with mounds of mushy slushy snow.
benzo
2017-02-09 09:54:26
One downtown street, Oliver Ave, does not appear to have seen any sort of attention this morning. Curb to curb two inches of slush at 9:45. If this freezes tonight, it's going to be a mess. FWIW, I did see a cyclist in the Penn bike lane, traveling from 7th to 9th, at about that same time.
stuinmccandless
2017-02-09 12:03:27
The snow plow tracker says they visited Oliver Avenue at 12:02pm, exactly one minute before you posted. :-)
steven
2017-02-09 12:17:38
Just tried to get across the Highland Park Bridge for a joy ride to Verona and ended up turning around because the snowplows just crushed the sidewalk and made if full of large boulders of ice.  It will be very dangerous as temperatures drop.  Sadly the mess is all the way across the bridge this time because I guess they were going really fast to make sure they make it impossible to walk on without killing yourself let alone riding a bike across it.  It took pictures, but don't think this forum hosts.  Oh well, I guess it will be raining soon, so it will clear off at some point.  SUCKS, but it is PennDot, so what you anyone expect.
gg
2017-02-09 12:59:43
any condition report on the N Shore Trail would be helpful as I'd like to use it tomorrow.  Everything will melt by tomorrow afternoon, I'm sure, but I'd like to use it in the morning to avoid rain.
edronline
2017-02-10 06:49:12
North Shore between Penitentiary and Casino is plowed but has a layer of rutted ice under the windswept snow. The narrow part between the 2 boat docks is icy and I did slip a few times. I made it fine with 32mm commuter tires.
jstalnaker2112
2017-02-10 06:58:00
Several corners downtown remain icy. Penn Ave cycle track not plowed through the Cultural District
chrishent
2017-02-10 07:31:58
Many of the "ways" never saw a plow or anything else since the snow began early in the week. That has all gotten packed down and frozen solid. With the temp going above freezing overnight, these will rapidly become unwalkable, let alone unridable. I'm thinking Strawberry Way between Smithfield and Wm Penn Way, which was hard enough to walk on when it was sub-20 this morning. Slick frozen slush, side to side. Ditto any of the ones parallel to Grant. Granted, by Sunday afternoon, with some rain, a lot of that will go away, but until then, unless it's already bare pavement, treat everything you see as highly suspect and dangerous. And no, the uphill lane on Oliver from Smithfield to Wm Penn never got cleared, though to be fair, there were some cones up across the Smithfield corner. I don't see what that was about, but it had gotten zero attention other than car ruts.
stuinmccandless
2017-02-10 15:40:54
North shore trail this am   Millvale. Crap. Not touched. Ice.  Snow. Road clear but area behind 3 rivers rowing just as bad Pittsburgh from Millvale to near stadiums. Clear 90 percent, 10 percent large ice fields. Between stadiums. 98 percent clear. Some ice patches under bridges.   Didn't go further.  
edronline
2017-02-11 08:24:30
40th street bridge sidewalk appears passable now.
benzo
2017-02-11 14:50:15
Center Ave bridge over Camp Horne Rd in Emsworth closed for rehabilitation. The work will last until early 2018: http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2017/02/14/pittsburgh-TRAFFIC-restrictions-road-work-construction/stories/201702140108 This is on a fairly popular NW cycling route. After crossing over the  bridge, the ride up Roosevelt Rd is sweet. The detour is to go on PA65... Coffeeneurs from points east will be OK though, as you can still ride to Anchor and Anvil without touching 65 :-)
chrishent
2017-02-14 14:32:37
There is a sidewalk you could use between Hiland Ave and North Ave if you don't want to ride on 65 to connect between.  For the rare occasion I try to ride to Sewickley, I'll probably do that. There are some roads below 65, but in developers infinite wisdom, they make no roadway or sidewalk connections between the different suburban housing plans, so I don't think that makes any sense to try that way.
benzo
2017-02-15 15:18:33
Best I can do is last night. 9 pm. Grant, Penn ave bike lane , 16th bridge , north shore trail. All snow covered. Just a trace. Zero problems. No ice, no slipping.
edronline
2017-02-16 07:50:39
Yes, this morning everything seems fine. There is a thin layer of snow on side streets, but no ice.
jonawebb
2017-02-16 08:24:47
Friendship lanes were a bit snow covered. S. Millvale was fine, Bayard / Bigelow / Ohara lanes were fine. Didn't notice any ice, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I've had my studded tires on since the big snowfall last week. It's probably overkill now.
benzo
2017-02-16 10:07:47
Starting Saturday will be in the 50s and 60s the following 7 days.  Tomorrow will be mid-40s, so everything will be back to normal tomorrow afternoon.  Then we'll just being dealing with the normal potholes and goose poop.
edronline
2017-02-16 10:09:34
40Th street bridge sidewalk was snow covered, ice underneath on Millvale side. Careful on the turn at the end of the bridge. Ramp seemed to have ice under snow but some spots were clear. North Shore Trail was snow covered but mostly good. Some spots iced, mostly where it is exposed to the wind or the flyover. As of 10ish, neither stadium had done their sidewalk. Casino looked pretty clear, but some patches. Pretty crunchy on the remainder of trail to Peggys Harbor. Wind keeps whipping but an enjoyable ride this morning.
katzenmiau
2017-02-16 11:41:34
FYI, closure of Pocusset Street to Greenfield Road connector (h/t @stefb) The temporary walkway from Pocusset Street to Greenfield Road through the Greenfield Bridge Project area will be closed at the bridge from Monday, February 20th to Thursday, February 24th, 2017. The contractor will be conducting storm water drainage exploration. There will be no ability to pass through the site. Pedestrians should plan on using Hobart Street to transverse the park. https://www.facebook.com/GCAPGH/photos/a.458073414236116.103589.447558711954253/1336191066424342/?type=3&theater
benzo
2017-02-17 09:47:31
City Parks crews were cutting brush along the Jail Trail this morning, between the Birmingham and Hot Metal Bridges.  Watch out for trucks on the trail (including a chipper) and possible debris. (Also watch out for a bit of glass near the HMB bypass.  Mostly along the wall, but still... Green, so almost certainly beer-bottle glass.)
epanastrophe
2017-02-17 11:46:41
Broken glass by Peggy's Harbor on the north shore trail.  It is right in front of the row of shrink wrap boats.  If you are heading toward town, stay to the left a little bit, though it looks super ground into the pavement and probably won't hurt your tire. I didn't see it riding through the area yesterday but saw it while running today.
edronline
2017-02-19 12:30:57
Friendship Ave bike lane blocked by construction / Steel Plates / Cones  on south side of the park before West penn hospital.
benzo
2017-02-21 07:55:59
Street sweeper was on the Clemente Bridge @ 9:3o this morning.  It was in the travel lane with guys with push brooms sweeping the bike lane.  Not very efficient, but much appreciated.
marko82
2017-02-24 11:28:33
Now if someone could please take care of that 10-foot longitudinal crack in the pavement that's in line with the lane coming off the Clemente Bridge when headed for the Sixth St bike lane.
stuinmccandless
2017-02-24 11:59:11
TRAIL CLOSURE ALERT: The closure impacts the section of trail that connects the upper plaza on Allegheny Avenue to the lower riverfront path. This piece of the trail will close starting Monday morning, March 6th. Orange detour signs will be posted for alternate routes. This section will be closed for 3-5 days.
ashewczyk
2017-03-01 13:48:14
I've given up on this section anyway.  It is too narrow for someone to be going up and down at the same time. I go around the science center now. Bonus are two very clean portapotties in the science center back parking lot. They are cleaned weekly, unlike the end of the trail prison one, which is as scary as the prison right now.
edronline
2017-03-01 15:18:05
Friendship ave bike lanes no longer blocked by west penn! Terrible pavement patch (mound) where the metal plates were though.
benzo
2017-03-02 11:05:14
Rivers are definitely high today. As of 10am this morning, North Shore trail from Clemente Bridge to Peggy's Harbor had not flooded. Wind is wicked though so be careful yinz.
katzenmiau
2017-03-02 11:20:23
the forecast was for it to be about 1/2 foot below flood stage for the northside.  mon-wharf, of course, will probably flood.   Also, may snow tonight and tomorrow , but then be 50-60s again starting sunday for as long as the eye to see, so whatever mess there is Fri and Sat will soon be gone.   edit -- scratch that -- looks like it did get to flood stage.  didn't check it since a few days ago. http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pbz&gage=PTTP1   but it looks like we are at the peak and it'll quickly drop by the end of the day to well below flood stage.
edronline
2017-03-02 12:02:26
Tree pruning north shore trail at apartment building between 9th and 16th bridge. Trail is pretty blocked but they will let.you through. Guys are nice. But armed with chain saws
edronline
2017-03-03 09:59:41
Watch for black ice. I see it's still well below freezing at 10 a.m., and will stay that way all day. While I wasn't on a bike this morning, the light frosting of snow was enough to get a couple of car tires spinning while I waited for a bus. I suspect that cornering on a bike might be slightly compromised, particularly in well traveled areas.
stuinmccandless
2017-03-03 10:51:18
North shore trail was clear, no ice, no snow anywhere (even on grass) from Millvale to stadiums.
edronline
2017-03-03 11:59:23
I encountered a couple of slick spots this morning at intersections, where the tiny bit of rain mixed with a film of oil from a few days it didn't rain much, made for a brief surprise. Way too warm for ice, though I did see a couple of patches of ice in shady spots, mainly well out of typical tire range. Specifically, at the Evergreen-East merge point just before Venture Street, inbound, and at the city end of the 9th St Bridge. Probably not more than a four-foot-long patch in either spot. I would advise caution on corners or anyplace you have to cross a spot where engines drip oil.
stuinmccandless
2017-03-06 11:01:40
Ive made that science center detour my normal roue at this point. . Don't have to deal with the narrow sidewalk behind the science center (nor the crowds) and there are some nice portapotties back there too, which are always clean.
edronline
2017-03-06 11:19:09
I would suggest when heading east to go through the parking lot, then up the lower level ramp to the street - much shorter.  I do not suggest going through the lot when heading west, or at least not using the lower level ramp as it is designated one way.
helen-s
2017-03-06 17:04:22
Eagle Lake in Hays is full again. No way to avoid it.
chrishent
2017-03-07 20:37:25
Beautiful weather, very very windy.  Seems to be from the west or southwest. Running into the wind was a struggle.  More surface area on a bike may be harder especially perpendicular to the wind.
edronline
2017-03-08 13:08:10
I went through Eagle Lake after dark last week.  The lake is much wider than the trail, so I worried about  losing balance on the non-visible trail edge.   It was 27 degrees out, but the lake wasn't frozen yet and I worried about encountering ice. Maybe a few of us could go out there with shovels and make a drainage ditch?  Not sure if this possible in that terrain.  
mick
2017-03-08 13:42:08
I thought I read that this was slated to be fixed this spring by whoever maintains the trail over there. Id coordinate with them before I put a shovel in the ground for a temp fix as it may complicate their plans. You may also need to 811 it because who knows what runs under there.
edronline
2017-03-08 15:28:13
Yeah. I heard that they had an engineer there last time it flooded to check out the issue in person.  I can't find the post mentioning it though.  I thought it was on twitter, but I could be wrong.
benzo
2017-03-08 15:56:11
Thanks @RustyRed
benzo
2017-03-09 10:03:51
Speaking of which, does anyone have an idea how long it typically takes Eagle Lake to subside?
ornoth
2017-03-09 11:09:27
Depends on the weather. Wind like it was on Friday literally evaporated it in a little less than two days.
mikhail
2017-03-09 15:06:00
"Speaking of which, does anyone have an idea how long it typically takes Eagle Lake to subside?"   It was REALLY deep yesterday evening and I have to slog through it again tonight, I'm also interested to see how much it's gone down in 24 hrs... whatever's left is going to freeze tonight.
rustyred
2017-03-09 15:41:05
Lots of small and not so small branches down with the winds on Tuesday and Wednesday, mixed in with the snow this morning, will make any road edge troublesome. I thought about stopping to remove branches on my way in yesterday but there were just too many. I only pulled over to remove obvious danger.
stuinmccandless
2017-03-10 05:55:26
Downtown streets are clear. The snow isn't sticking
chrishent
2017-03-10 07:10:23
Roads so far are clear in and around downtown. No snow
chrishent
2017-03-14 07:17:25
Roads are fine in the last hour, the pavement is cold enough that the snow mostly blows away. But the winds are gusting and the air feels frackin' cold. One warning: this morning when I was parking the surface of the lot had a very fine layer of black ice that I couldn't tell was there (until I was on it). It was morning and I was up in Squirrel Hill, but be careful.
ahlir
2017-03-14 18:27:50
Roads downtown have been plowed and are passable. The Penn Ave cycle track did not look plowed. It's windy out. Ride with care.
chrishent
2017-03-15 07:22:45
North shore from Millvale to water steps untouched by plow or salt. Only 1 inch but prob better to use river Ave.
edronline
2017-03-15 12:18:15
There were a lot of utility vehicles on the north shore trail around 9:30am today. Wood chipper taking up the entire trail in front of the apartments on the Millvale side of Warhol Bridge. I expect a lot of clean up work like this is going on on all the trails with the warmer and dryer weather.
katzenmiau
2017-03-21 10:13:34
they've been trimming trees over the last 2-3 weeks on the north shore trail.
edronline
2017-03-21 12:24:10
Awesome riding conditions: I notice around 8:30 every morning they're baking cookies or something at the Jail. Smells delicious. 
rustyred
2017-03-21 12:38:05
I feel like @rustyred's comment about a nice cookie baking smell by ACJ requires a witty remark or a joke, but I'm just coming up flat.  so either someone else provide one or just laugh at the comment I didn't make but should have.
edronline
2017-03-21 13:17:47
@rustyred‘s comment about a nice cookie baking smell by ACJ requires a witty remark or a joke
You know, people usually bake saw blades into cakes which they send to inmates. What are these inmates baking into their cookies? And where are they sending them? Ok. I tried. Your turn (or not).
ahlir
2017-03-21 17:58:58
Maybe this is the new ACJ medical marijuana money making initiative so they can pay for health care for their inmates
edronline
2017-03-21 18:12:08
Guess it's my turn next. I understand illicit drugs are pervasive in our correctional facilities. Perhaps that cookie scent indicates some of the inmates are baked.  
steven
2017-03-22 05:54:31
Big mound of salt in the bike lane in Millvale leading up to the 40th St bridge. Not a hazard as there is a big striped buffer between cars and bike lane. But super annoying.
edronline
2017-03-22 13:17:14
Don Erdeljac & Yale Cohen sweeping up broken glass on Loop Trail, Versailles, today. https://flic.kr/p/RWWxLV
paulheckbert
2017-03-22 20:53:51
NST. Crew outside of PNC park putting down mulch.  Blocking a lot of the trail but can get through.  Also icty of pgh crew doing trail maintenance outside of Peggy's harbor. Trail is almost fully blocked but can get by via foot. Crew is super nice. Will alert the guys with the chain saws and they stop and let you through.
edronline
2017-03-24 09:54:53
portapotties are back on the NST!!  There was one that I think was just put out today next to the parking area by the Heinz Lofts.  There's also another one right down the path where River Ave meets Route 28, next to the Riverfront apartments or whatever those are called. The 2 nice potties behind the science center in the back parking lot are gone.  those were reliably clean.  I guess they were there for football season, not the science center construction.
edronline
2017-03-24 11:30:15
Rode the gap today between ss works and waterfront for the first time in forever.   Kudos on the beautiful new stone mile markers.
edronline
2017-03-25 14:19:38
as posted on the facebook gap site, the big savage tunnel is open
edronline
2017-03-28 06:25:05
Sadly nst portapotties are gone between 31st bridge and pnc park   Also 6th st bridge roadway closed from 9a Fri to6a Monday.  Sidewalk will be open
edronline
2017-03-29 20:44:25
As of this morning, tube counters are back on the 1200 & 900 blocks of the Penn Ave bike lane, though not the 600 block. However, there was heavy equipment in the bike lane at Tenth, where they were digging in the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
epanastrophe
2017-04-01 17:44:27
North shore trail may flood Monday.   Flood Advisory Issued: 9:28 PM EDT Apr. 1, 2017 – National Weather Service The flood advisory is extended for the Ohio River at Pittsburgh. * Until Sunday evening. * At 09pm Saturday the stage was 18.1 feet. * Flood stage is 25.0 feet. * Forecast... the river will rise to near 18.8 feet tomorrow morning. * Impact... at 19.0 feet, water begins to flow onto the North Shore riverwalk between the stadiums. Lat... Lon 4043 7999 4045 8005 4047 8003 4045 8001 4046 7999 4045 7998
edronline
2017-04-02 08:35:29
Another flood watch.  Ohio river predicted to hit 19 feet Friday night and stay at 19 feet into Sunday am. At 19 feet north shore river walk floods. Also, baseball starts again Friday at pnc park. And every weekend from here on brings hordes of walkers and runners on the north shore trail raising money sat and sun mornings Also, may get snow Thursday night into Friday. Would be minor. Ground is probably too warm for accumulation http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pbz&gage=PTTP1
edronline
2017-04-05 21:33:07
Anybody else WPXI's Chase Williams and his camera operator blocking the trail with their truck 4/13/2017 around 5:30 PM?  I asked him if he was their to cover something on the the trail.  He told me that they were there to cover the Dan Rooney story.  When I said, that this truck didn't belong here, he angrily , "We're just trying to do our job.  Odd that the WTAE truck  had no problem parking properly.
durishange
2017-04-14 15:13:27
  Section of the North Side Trail (near Science Center)  closed thru Sunday From Duquesne Light:  "Our crews need to repair three underground cables that were damaged yesterday afternoon, and need access to a manhole that is directly adjacent to the trail. This section will remain closed through Sunday, in order for us to complete the work."
erok
2017-04-14 15:27:59
Unfortunately the path going through from the streets to the river below the convention center was blocked off this afternoon.  Anyone have any ideas why?
helen-s
2017-04-15 14:37:43
https://twitter.com/infinitebuffalo/status/853413810354495488 Anyone heading into town on Penn Ave tonight/tomorrow, watch out for a massive hole in the right lane at 21st St. Looks like a utility cut lost its fill; the hole is a good six inches deep and wide, and over a foot (closer to a foot and a half) long. Called PWSA (did I mention there's also a water line spewing into the street here? 'cause that's also happening...), and apparently the water line might not be fixed until Monday, but I attempted to impress upon the dispatcher that the giant hole could be dangerous...
epanastrophe
2017-04-15 21:20:21
Deep pothole on inbound Ellsworth, between Devonshire and Neville, right in the middle of the lane. I hit it yesterday and it felt like half my tire went in (not really, obviously, but you know...). It kind of sneaks upon you. It's been 311'd.
chrishent
2017-04-17 08:28:48
Dan Rooney's funeral at St Paul's tomorrow morning will mean traffic restrictions for much of the day. If you typically ride in or through Oakland, find an alternate route or be prepared for backups and cranky drivers.
  • At least one lane of Fifth Ave will be closed between Neville Avenue and University Place--a half-mile down, past Soldiers' & Sailors' Hall--from 9am until 3pm.
  • Dithridge Ave will be closed except to residents north of Fifth to Bayard, and "restricted" south of Fifth, from 10am until 3pm
http://pittsburghpa.gov/publicsafety/article.htm?id=7233
epanastrophe
2017-04-17 16:25:03
The pathway under the convention center gets blocked this time of year as the workers set up the waterwall feature.  They also block it during repairs. That said, the path to 15th street is well done.  Looking forward to the rest of it.
durishange
2017-04-17 17:13:45
The road section between the South Side riverfront park and the 18th St entrance to the south side trail has been milled, so careful while riding through it. Sweet, sweet new asphalt will follow shortly. Also, Eagle Lake was partially filled today.
chrishent
2017-04-23 21:49:16
called my boro about an allegheny county road with a big pothole in it today.  They reported it to the county but also gave me a # to call with county road issues -- the person at the boro told me that they have a newer, centralized reporting system for county public works issues. 412-350-2513 this may already be known, but just passing it along.
edronline
2017-05-02 15:36:15
@edronline - So this number is for county roads or any roads within the county?
benzo
2017-05-02 16:27:43
Sorry. The latter.  Allegheny.
edronline
2017-05-02 17:09:18
Per http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/03/08/It-s-pothole-season-in-Pittsburgh/stories/201503080135 and similar, it's at least two years old.  "Allegheny County takes pothole complaints at 412-350-2513 and personnel will refer callers to the appropriate departments." http://www.county.allegheny.pa.us/public-works/contact/index.aspx says it's the AC-DPW call center, so I'd assume they only take county-road reports, but it might not hurt for (a) someone to try reporting a township road and see what they say.... btw, this map of AC-owned roads and bridges might also be useful and/or interesting to at least some people...
epanastrophe
2017-05-02 17:53:32
As far as I know it is county owned roads only.  So 911 for pgh, that # for county. Some other # for the state, and then local is free for all.
edronline
2017-05-02 21:26:23
Deep pothole on inbound Ellsworth, between Devonshire and Neville
Filled. And a big thank you to @chrishent for reporting it to 311. Over the years, I had just grown used to it ...
ahlir
2017-05-05 21:35:18
Keep an eye on the geese; they have goslings now. I had one chase after me on my commute this morning on the North Shore.
katzenmiau
2017-05-08 13:21:49
agreed.  I had one almost go after me yesterday AM (545 am!) walking from the N Shore Trail to the marathon start.  They turn into big a-holes when they have goslings.  People come bombing down the trail and there are some blind turns, and walkers/runners are used to giving these geese wide berth. So no king of the mountain for anyone on the North Shore Trail until the goslings are older.
edronline
2017-05-08 13:39:29
The geese are a plague upon the north shore. After living in an apartment next to a pond where they congregated, and got snipped at frequently when bringing groceries home and just trying to get in to my building, I'm very biased against them. Stupid Jerk Birds.
benzo
2017-05-08 13:40:07
Geese Police don't do anything when there are goslings. They are a regular presence on North Shore when there are no babies.
katzenmiau
2017-05-08 22:51:59
This may be the wrong thread for this, but I couldn't find a better one with a search. THere's a been a lot of discussion re: the buck passing between state, county, and city re: keeping sidewalks in passable conditions, leading to bikepgh members sweeping glass off of them.  This happens, typically, with a state or county road and the city saying, "that sidewalk isn't our responsibility" and the other party saying, "yes it is!" I have a similar situation by my house in O'Hara Twp which has gotten me annoyed.  On Delafield Road the sidewalk is very dangerous.  Very large craters, years of neglect and runoff has undermined the sidewalk.  This stretch of sidewalk is in a residential neighborhood. O'Hara township says that the sidewalk is controlled by the county, since Delafield is a county road. From what I can tell from PA State law and discussions on here, the sidewalks are controlled by the local municipality and/or the home owner. What's the right answer?
edronline
2017-05-10 08:14:47
Biking today, went up Penn Ave bike lane at around 1145 am toward the strip. On 3 separate blocks pedestrians were either standing in the bike lane or walking into in right in front of me. All were not looking, and none were on their phone. I got one "I'm so sorry!!", One "fuck off, asshole" (wasn't Darlene) and one shocked look. I was hitting my very loud bell pretty constantly and yelling too. People look at the bike lane as an extension of the sidewalk which is good in a way and bad in another.   Also, geese in full asshat mode by the  north shore apartments by pnc park. Also saw a mallard family sleeping away on the trail pavement down there too. Go slow enough not to hit the mallards but fast enough to avoid the geese.
edronline
2017-05-10 14:31:40
Forgot to mention, glass on 31st Street bridge sidewalk, downstream side, about 25% the way over the bridge from the Pittsburgh side.
edronline
2017-05-10 18:56:08
Rode by eagle lake today.  It rained yesterday morning.  Trail was about 1/4th covered with water and the area by the stones was flooded. So my guess is that with heavier rain and winter this will make eagle lake less but not fully take care of the problem.   The problem is the runoff from the slag pike area behind the wall. That huge lot has little water absorbing ability.  Plus gravity with the trail lower than the slag area.
edronline
2017-05-12 13:20:22
Today, on Gold Way/Melwood St. in N. Oakland/Polish Hill, I was going around the S-curve before going under the Bloomfield Bridge, I flew off my bike as I slammed on the brakes to avoid potholes. I called 311 about the potholes and told the operator about me getting hurt there. Thankfully, A nice man in a blue Porsche van went to his office in the Strip District to get some first aid supplies. He got me cleaned up and back on the road. I rode from there to Caffe D'Amore in Lawrenceville then got on the 91 Butler Street bus back to Aspinwall. I just want to make it clear to use caution while traversing this area. Also, Thanks to Matt for getting me cleaned up and on my way.
zzwergel
2017-05-12 16:02:44
For those that use Friendship Avenue as a commute route: the City is milling today from S. Atlantic to S. Negley.
jason-pgh
2017-05-17 13:11:57
Wife hit and killed a gosling on the North shore trail 2 days ago. One ran across the trail right in front of her bike. My wife ain't no super cyclist so wasn't going very fast. Still very upset about whole thing.  So not only are they asshats, they induce guilt if you kill their young.
edronline
2017-05-17 14:48:25
Lots of elementary school kids on the North Shore trail this afternoon. There was some event at Millvale Riverfront Park, kids bunched near PNC Park, the Gateway Clipper was unloading and the Science Center's submarine had a good group leaving when I rode past. Use care in these areas and expect to see them until school is over. Still seeing lots of goslings, but they're getting bigger. Geese have mellowed a bit, but keep an eye out in the grassy areas on the edge of the trail, as they're still often wandering around. 40th Street bridge sidewalk has been looking good. Thanks to anyone that has been helping maintain it.
katzenmiau
2017-05-22 14:11:47
S. Millvale ave bike lanes re-striped. Now they are nice and bold.
benzo
2017-05-23 12:50:24
North shore trail. City is pruning back bushes upstream from PNC park. Also venture outdoors free fishing outside pnc park means a busy trail.
edronline
2017-05-24 12:19:45
Friendship between South Negley and Atlantic is paved but not marked as of today.
jason-pgh
2017-05-24 13:12:17
Wednesday morning. https://twitter.com/bus15237/status/867399740153114624 Wednesday evening. Big steel plates across the street. Nicely done job of filling thin gravel against the edges of the plates. But they get slippy if it's rained, which it has.
stuinmccandless
2017-05-24 21:30:15
I was surprised to see on Old Washington Road, in Peters Township, traffic calming measures have been implemented. Besides the signage, there is a series of raised white ridges that were placed periodically along the stretch of OWR that runs from Valley Brook Road to US 19.  I will try to get down there again and take a video or some photos.  This is clearly being done to slow traffic down in what is a residential area.  It seems to be effective.  There is nothing quite like this, of which I am aware, anywhere else in the South Hills.
fultonco
2017-05-27 08:58:41
Via Pitt's Staff Association Council: Bates St closed between Joncaire (Iron City Bikes) and Bates (Post Office) due to a water main break. Last time there was a break there, @gordon noticed major puddles down on Boundary at the other end of Joncaire, so watch for side effects down there as you head to/from the Junction Hollow Trail as well....
epanastrophe
2017-05-30 07:25:22
The Jail Trail/Smithfield sidewalk connector has new signs: the new poles kinda invade the sidewalk. (new signs compared with signage from 2016) http://imgur.com/a/Z75ga   Apparently, the older signs weren't big enough to prevent motorists from driving the wrong way down an exit ramp?
rustyred
2017-05-30 11:18:37
Nice. I was like, this trail is not narrow enough! Let's make it narrower!
benzo
2017-05-31 09:59:53
OB Centre -> SB Neville beware the mix of construction-site drag-out (i.e., mud and other crap that rides off-site on trucks' tires) and running water from somewhere which makes this intersection a bit slippery. Coming around the corner from downhill to southbound, i lost traction and crashed this morning. Take it slow here, or, like me, you may be taking it slow the rest of the day...
epanastrophe
2017-05-31 10:13:12
Four points of interest for those on their Friday commute I noticed tonight. 1: In the Liberty Avenue bike lane, inbound, just before the intersection with 40th Street, there is a truck blocking the entire bike lane, you will need to proceed into the travel lane, avoiding the raised pothole patch to be safe. (This was 311'd) 2: At the bottom of the Fort Duquesne pedestrian/bike bridge there is a wire cover plastic thingy that will give you quite the jolt if you do not slow down. I hit this going up the bridge at about 10mph and was given quite the jolt. 3: On Centre Avenue between Commerce and S. Euclid Avenue there are steel plates across the entire road that are not beveled with the ground, causing a potential pinch point. 4: There are a few dead animals (yuck) in the Bayard Bike lanes, which I 311'd. Probably a few squirrels and birds. Watch yourself.
jason-pgh
2017-06-01 23:15:44
Regarding the Jail Trail/Smithfield connector, it's a shame they put in those dangerous new signs (the old signs had one pole each; the new signs have two). Why not instead put a plastic bollard in the middle, to block it off the same way the Penn Ave bike lane is blocked off? (Streetview picture from Penn & 6th: https://goo.gl/maps/qMwvMNfNGwr) These new signposts look unacceptable to me.
paulheckbert
2017-06-02 01:51:50
Our city's bike/peds coordinator seems to be keeping a low profile, as far as I can tell.  I emailed her last year about an issue and never heard back.  She's be the perfect person to push back against bad design of signs within the city, etc. etc. Does anyone have any idea where she is and what she's doing? (I don't mean this snarkily)
edronline
2017-06-02 06:49:01
As for the terrible signage blocking trails, that might have been penndot's doing. Maybe several 311 tickets would be good to document the issue for the city? I'm sure the bike-ped coordination has some projects she's actively working on (I am not a reliable source, but I'm just mentioning some stuff I know is possible): Revising the bike plan that hasn't been updated since early 2000s. Meeting with lots of interest groups / businesses / bike-ped groups throughout the city to get input. Also probably a pedestrian network plan as well? Working with Healthy Ride on expansion plans and how that fits with bike plans. (new stations going in sometime in the future) Coordinating bike lanes to be installed this year, and communicating with local interest groups about it (18th street, negley ave?) Working with interest groups to develop alternate plans to the cancelled ft. pitt blvd bike lanes to connect the GAP to Point (and penn ave bikeway) Other stuff I have no idea about...
benzo
2017-06-02 09:48:46
Warning to not travel through downtown tomorrow morning unless you have to or are going to Penguins victory parade. Closures starting at 9am, parade at 11am, ending at the point. "The route will begin on Grant Street at Liberty Avenue, travel along Grant Street to the Boulevard of the Allies, turn right onto the Boulevard of the Allies, turn right onto Commonwealth Place and end at the intersection of Penn Avenue and Commonwealth Place, at the entrance to Point State Park." https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/2017-stanley-cup-parade/c-289916252
katzenmiau
2017-06-13 23:19:24
Did those dead end at Braddock right by the parkway/Frick park entrance/building that was a grocery store back in the day/then center for creative play?
edronline
2017-06-14 18:23:29
Happened to be downtown after the Penguins parade. I was riding around blocked-off Grant Street and the Boulevard of the Allies, which was covered in yellow and black confetti. Guys were trying to blow it into stacks for pickup, somehow, with leaf blowers. The wind wasn't necessarily helping. And the maintenance trucks driving slowly down the street kept going over water bottles, which would explode with quite a bang, like a firecracker.
jonawebb
2017-06-14 21:15:31
Tree down and blocking Boundary Street near the Oakland end of the Junction Hollow trail. There's just enough room to crawl through, and thanks to the other cyclist who helped pull my bike through from the other side!
lenticular-truss
2017-06-15 18:11:10
Reposting from another thread: http://localhost/message-board/topic/forbes/#post-0 "Forbes ave bike line is unmarked and milled inbound from Braddock to beechwood. outbound bike line is paved but next to it is milled. some tree branches are down."
benzo
2017-06-16 11:40:21
PennDot's put yet another sign on the Ft Pitt walkway. Blocked so much that cyclists have to dismount and peds have to use caution to get over the sandbags. A wheelchair would not be able to get through.   http://imgur.com/AOR24zD    
rustyred
2017-06-20 19:12:01
@RustyRed: yes, I encountered that one today. There are two similar obstructive signs on the upstream sidewalk of McKees Rocks Bridge. After observing PennDOT for years, I think I understand their mindset:
  • cars: important
  • trucks: important
  • motorcycles: important
  • pedestrians: let them squeeze through in the margins
  • bicycles: fuck 'em
  • wheelchairs: fuck 'em
paulheckbert
2017-06-20 21:39:32
An email to Penndot last night got this response this morning: "Colleen, Thanks for bringing  this to our attention.  We will look into correcting the situation asap."   Maybe it'll be taken care of sometime today... hopefully?
rustyred
2017-06-21 09:46:42
Can someone with a higher pay grade han me make a complaint link. Like here is 311.  Here is county. Here is state. Etc. All in one message board post?
edronline
2017-06-21 10:09:00
I have, in fact, done so in the past -- however, at this point, I would suggest emailing PennDOT's bike/ped Coordinator Roy Gothie, copying the city's ADA office and perhaps a local accessibility advocate and/or reporter, and ask why, after literally years of complaints and a full quarter century after the ADA, do they still allow their contractors to do this? In the past, it has taken calling the Post Gazette transportation writer Joe Grata to get these taken care of. He unfortunately retired or resigned a year or two ago...
epanastrophe
2017-06-21 10:23:59
Oakland Ave is milled for paving from Fifth Avenue south to at least Bates, not including the Forbes Ave intersection.  Watch for sharp corners and unexpectedly tall utility covers.
epanastrophe
2017-06-21 20:27:39
Ft Pitt walkway is now clear of sign obstructions. Yaaaa! That was quick!
rustyred
2017-06-21 20:32:24
Forbes btw Dallas<->Shady was finished up this morning. It's probably an illusion, but riding up the hill feels easier than before. Meadow in Homewood was being worked late afternoon. I don't get it. In the old days the only reason streets got fixed (during an election year, the only time it would happen) was because the incumbent mayor (or their chosen successor, appointed after a resignation) needed to look good to the citizens. Why is Peduto doing all this? He doesn't need to.
ahlir
2017-06-22 21:42:06
Because he's a good mayor and gets shit done for reasons other than political?
stuinmccandless
2017-06-22 22:11:54
Meanwhile, in Shadyside... Alder St has multiple holes that are several inches square and at least a couple inches deep. Mostly avoidable, butt keep your eyes peeled. Also, Maryland, which wasn't that bad as I recall, has been milled from Ellsworth south at least to Alder. Go figure.
epanastrophe
2017-06-22 22:40:55
@buffalo buffalo - Alder street is on the paving list for this year. So hopefully it won't be long before it's done. So are almost all the side streets that connect to the trail at the back of bakery square 2.0 (which are also a mess currently)
benzo
2017-06-23 10:28:04
I biked out to McKees Rocks to get pictures, then filed a complaint at the link @jonawebb gave. I get out there rarely, so if you see a change, please report it here. My complaint: Detour signs for cars and trucks were placed on the McKees Rocks Bridge sidewalk (upstream side) that are totally blocking the sidewalk for wheelchairs and unacceptably constricting the sidewalk for pedestrians and cyclists. Please move these signs ASAP so that they no longer block more than half the sidewalk. I have seen PennDOT use clamps to mount signs elsewhere; you should use them here. Here are two photos from 6/22. https://flic.kr/p/VSrrYa https://flic.kr/p/W1qTkw Generally, PennDOT should stop marginalizing pedestrians, cyclists, and the disabled; they are transportation users, too.
paulheckbert
2017-06-23 13:15:26
Via Facebook: "Forbes Avenue inbound bike lane flooded from overpass to community garden entrance." Also, Parkway outbound is apparently a mess; crash outbound near the Squirrel Hill Tunnel has traffic backed up all the way to Grant St.  Watch for side effect traffic all over the East End, especially Second, Greenfield and Forbes Avenues.
epanastrophe
2017-06-23 16:32:15
Drag it into the traffic lane and it'll be fixed in 1 hour.
edronline
2017-06-24 09:17:52
Centre closed between Moorewood and at least Millvale, edge of North Oakland/Shadyside/Bloomfield. I didn't look to see if Centre was open towards Neville. Looked like they were fixing the road finally. But unsure how far up the street they'll go.
katzenmiau
2017-06-24 11:07:52
Is that part of centre asphalt or concrete?  I used to bike it all the time years back but forgot.
edronline
2017-06-24 14:33:59
On Friday 6/23, our area got 1.5 inches of rain, which triggered a landslide near Kennywood on the Steel Valley Trail (aka GAP trail) that day, and caused three trees to fall the next day. I almost got hit by one of them (I was pruning along the trail at the time). One tree fell on my bike. It tacoed the front wheel and broke my helmet, which was sitting on the rear rack. https://flic.kr/p/VYimdx https://flic.kr/p/W7o6TC For more of the story, click through this facebook album, and read the captions. https://www.facebook.com/pg/SteelValleyTrail/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1360493894069604 Moral of the story: while biking along there, listen for landslides and falling trees, especially after large rains or winter thaws!
paulheckbert
2017-06-26 16:29:12
Centre closed between Moorewood and at least Millvale, edge of North Oakland/Shadyside/Bloomfield. I didn’t look to see if Centre was open towards Neville. Looked like they were fixing the road finally. But unsure how far up the street they’ll go.
I rode Centre last night from Neville to Millvale--they definitely have not repaved that section, and it didn't look at a distance like they'd redone the section east of Millvale, either.  They have, however, added a bunch of asphalt patch to the massive holes in the concrete, so look out for some new bumps where there used to be dips.... Meanwhile, the north-south segment of Schenley Dr (aka Bigelow Blvd Ext) has been milled between Forbes and Schenley/Roberto Clemente.  The bike lanes and other markings are of course completely gone, so watch out for drivers treating this as simply four ultra-wide lanes....
epanastrophe
2017-06-27 16:49:48
On 6/26, PennDOT replied to my complaint: "Thank you for submitting your concern regarding the signs on the McKee’s rocks bridge sidewalk.  The contractor who placed the signs have been instructed to relocate or remove the signs obstructing the pedestrian pathway.  The sign relocation/removal should be complete by the end of the work day today.  If you have any other questions regarding this concern please feel free to contact me at the below number or via email. Jeffrey J. Bentz | Project Manager" Can someone verify that they fixed it?
paulheckbert
2017-06-28 00:27:36
Why is the trail closed? How long will this last?
zzwergel
2017-07-03 19:12:24
It's closed for 2-3 weeks for "construction", according to the trail status page at Friends of the Riverfront. It would be nice if they'd include a date on these status updates.
steven
2017-07-03 23:34:49
Is there an alternative recommended for trail users?   A second question, related to the concept of closing trails when construction is going on, On a recent ride, I noticed the trail along the south shore of the Allegheny River, in the area leading from the strip to downtown is still closed after several years.  Is there an update as to when the construction will get to a point where this part of the trail can be opened again?
fultonco
2017-07-04 09:29:17
Only a tiny section of the trail is closed over there. Just between the bike rentals and Grant Street. So basically the PNC building section. So the detour would be to go the long way around the building.   As for the Strip trail, it'll be open by 2025. Promise.  Maybe.
edronline
2017-07-04 10:05:40
That same trail status page linked above says "early summer 2017" for the Strip District trail. So real soon now, we should either see that trail opening, or else see a revised estimate that will definitely be much more reliable than the last estimate, yup, definitely.
steven
2017-07-04 16:59:46
Within a year after the buildings being completed is when the trail will definitely be open in the strip. :)
edronline
2017-07-04 21:09:00
Thanks!
fultonco
2017-07-05 08:19:56
Awesome, the lousy signage is causing crashes!   From Facebook:   The closure happened Friday. There are two small signs that indicate the closure....almost no one could see them as they pedaled into the area. There are no detour signs to get riders around the block. I am the owner of golden triangle bike and was there everyday of the busy holiday weekend....there were several accidents and many near accidents through out the weekend. We received no warning that thousands of riders would be routed in front of our shop on one of our busiest times of the season. It was bad   https://www.facebook.com/fotr.pgh/photos/a.300309354024.145948.63335184024/10155497445759025/?type=3&theater
rustyred
2017-07-05 21:29:33
"Nothwest Passage" from Shadyside to Bakery Sq was closed due to construction this afternoon. Complete with wire fence at one end.
ahlir
2017-07-05 21:57:16
southside trail-
  1. someone left the upstream part of the detour gates open.  Unfortunately the other side was not accidentally left open.
  2. there is a lot of woodchips on the trail from storm runoff downstream from the Riverhounds stadium.  It isn't bad/dangerous, but if the trail is wet who knows?
  3. At the point where the trail runs into the birmingham bridge parking lot there is an option to stay on the trail instead of riding through the parking lot.  Don't do it.  that little piece of trail is very narrow b/c of knotweed and at the nadir it is full of mud.

edronline
2017-07-08 10:02:11
Water fountain outside of golden triangle bikes not working this am.  Is this a fluke or an ongoing thing?  Is this maintained by the city (ie should I 311 it?)   Also, emailed Millvale to see if they will fix the water fountain in the riverfront Park. The lack of water on the trails in pittsburgh sucks rocks. Bathrooms are hit or miss, and besides the Point or the water cube on Penn ave water is non existent
edronline
2017-07-08 19:21:56
I think the water fountain at Golden Triangle Bike Rental may be controlled by Golden Triangle Bike Rental....je pense... Pebble sucking is recommended when there is a lack of water. The cooling water spray IS controlled by GTBR.. Most likely the City is trying to keep the trails clean and save money--no water..no need for Port-o-Pottys. Expect the fruit trees to be removed in the future.
yalecohen
2017-07-09 01:08:12
Friday and today, North shore trail was closed under the Warhol bridge for some construction stuff. Saw them welding, so I'm not sure if they will continue that during the week with the projected thunderstorms daily. They did mark it closed early enough on the trail to reroute around PNC Park without major inconvenience. Science center finally cut back the bush that was encroaching on the trail. Not as far as they could, but better. Still several blind corners or squeeze points from weeds.
katzenmiau
2017-07-10 21:11:18
From Millvale re no potties or water in their park   The cost of the parts for the fountain are rather expensive as the fountain  is older. However, the bigger issue is that the fountain is continually vandalized and damaged and in need of numerous repairs.   The park is Borough owned and receives no County or Commonwealth funding for maintenance.   The Borough is looking at options and alternatives for the fountain.   The Borough is looking at alternative parts and other options. At this time the Borough has no timetable.   Vandalism and damage led to the restroom closure. Eddie Figas Borough of Millvale Director of Administrative Services Zoning Officer Flood Plain Administrator
edronline
2017-07-12 06:18:17
The fountain at the bike rental near the jail usually works. You have to hold in the button for a good 5-10 seconds. I had to ask the people who work there because I thought it wasn't working either. That said, the fountain at the park at the milvale trail wasn't working a few days ago.
italianblend
2017-07-12 14:11:09
I've been noticing that the avergae bollard that is smashed is the one preventing people from entering the bike lane at an intersection. The rate of them being down indicates that the current design isn't good enough to prevent cars from turning into the bike lane.   How to fix this, idk. More signage isn't the answer. It'll add to the noise.   Even with tons of signs people still manage to let this bridge in NC mangle their truck or RV... http://11foot8.com
edronline
2017-07-12 16:15:32

Use caution on Federal St at the lower intersection with Perrysville. The old concrete pavement and its umpteen patches have been ground off. I hope this means it will get a proper paving job, but right now it's just bare underlay with lots of loose material.

stuinmccandless
2017-07-12 18:01:19
Bigelow blvd between schenley drive and forbes ave has been repaved. Most street markings and crosswalks have been repainted, but there are no bike lanes on this stretch currently. Not sure what's up with that.
benzo
2017-07-13 09:07:36
Same thing with Friendship Avenue and shared lane markings. I've seen numerous 311 requests about it, and all that's happened is that a request has been made. I 311'd both of them this morning and included BikePGH and the City Bike/Ped Coordinator. My thinking is that they put those in last (unfortunately.) But I imagine keeping on them about it will help. Also, beware of Penn Avenue through the Strip, they're doing some gas line replacement work and the patch job is just terrible, lots of potholes and pinch points.
jason-pgh
2017-07-13 09:53:51
Forbes between Braddock and Dallas was repaved and restriped for a while before they painted the bike lane markings. So I suspect it's done as a separate step for some reason. They did a good job, as I posted earlier: there's an extra line separating the bike lane from the traffic lane where the road widens.
jonawebb
2017-07-13 11:27:22
River Ave bring paved today from Heinz lofts to downtown-ish
edronline
2017-07-15 07:48:01
I don't suppose they'll take out those ©®¥€©% railroad tracks while they're at it...? Re Bigelow, my assumption has been they're going to do thermoplastic or some other process that requires more than a couple hours of dry weather. So we could be waiting until the end of monsoon season here... On the other hand, usually we at least get layout markings beforehand. Which makes me wonder if they're not holding off until one of
  • Bike lanes install on Bigelow between Forbes and Fifth, promised this summer, I think (and last summer, too); I suppose this might now be waiting for
  • The end of construction at the new PAA hotel just north of Fifth, which is blocking most of the northbound bike lane on that block anyway; perhaps they're waiting to create one grand unified stretch?
  • Bike lanes install on Forbes between Bigelow and Craig, promised for who knows when, could also be relevant.
Or course, the city's lack of communication does (next to) nobody any favours, as usual.
epanastrophe
2017-07-15 08:33:30
Re river Ave. This section is too far west to include the rr tracks of doom.
edronline
2017-07-15 09:04:55
One of those diagonal tracks is west of the lofts. Specifically, between Heinz Street and Gazena Way. I want to know if they are going to swap out that longitudinal drain grate at Chesbro Street. It's been 311'd multiple times and reported on the drain grate thread going back years.
stuinmccandless
2017-07-15 18:35:57
It has looked "earthquaked" for a very long time. Where were the west tracks? (What do you mean by west and east tracks?)
edronline
2017-07-15 21:58:47
west, south, whatever.  as stu said above, they were between Heinz and Gazena (the alley near the 16th St Bridge).  They point right at the odd-shaped part of the parking lot here: https://goo.gl/maps/fbMnGvwuYd32 they were not quite as visibly problematic as the other one, but i know people who've crashed there, too.  at any rate, I specifically looked this morning and as far as i could tell they're gone now.
epanastrophe
2017-07-15 22:09:45
We can only hope they mill the rr tracks of death out of existence
edronline
2017-07-15 22:34:24
Indeed, the Gazena crossing is gone. The Chesbro drain grate is unchanged. On Federal at Perrysville, be very careful. It's milled, partially, but not repaired. Downhill, make darn sure you stop at the stop sign at Alpine. Very sharp lip where the more recent paving resumes. There's one on the uphill side, too, but no chance of hitting that at speed. Unrelated, in Oakland, on inbound Fifth around Dithridge (I forget the exact spot) look for steel plates with a sharp lip and no protection.
stuinmccandless
2017-07-16 18:05:54
Here's the railroad crossing that isn't there anymore. I'm over that section alot and never noticed it.  I think it was because I was terrified of the death crossing further up. Gone: 922 River Ave https://goo.gl/maps/7y8nfCAyzVn   Still eating bikes and breaking arms: 1309 River Ave https://goo.gl/maps/S1UeqZNSo4n
edronline
2017-07-16 18:54:06
I encountered a strange situation today on the McKeesRocks Bridge.  After having entered from the Route 65 Side, I got onto the sidewalk.  At Helen Street, the sidewalk goes down, following the off ramp.  At the bottom, there was a PennDot sign completely blocking the way.  As it was narrow there, turning the sign would not have done much good and there was nowhere else to put it.  I lowered my bike down onto the road and got down myself.  This maneuver would be tough for a person in less than optimal health, even if on foot because it is 4-5 feet down to the road at that point.  Once to the front of the sign, I could read it.  It said Sidewalk Closed.   The peculiar thing was there was no such signage at the Route 65 end and no indication of construction or anything else all along that rather long stretch of sidewalk or roadway.  Has anyone else encountered this and/or know why such an arrangement would be in place?
fultonco
2017-07-16 21:44:59
@fultonco, Pretty sure that's left over from when they were working on that sidewalk---which must be five years ago at this point...
epanastrophe
2017-07-16 23:20:34
More like eight years.
stuinmccandless
2017-07-17 02:38:54
What's the complaint link for penndot to remove the sign?
edronline
2017-07-17 06:32:28
Just a reminder about the Pgh street paving schedule. http://pittsburghpa.gov/dpw/StreetPavingSchedule 2 blocks of smallman this week!!   Also looks like the railroad tracks of death on River Ave will survive at least another year.
edronline
2017-07-17 13:11:06
I did submit an inquiry, regarding the closed downstream sidewalk on the McKees Rocks Bridge.  The tracking number is - 20170717-D11-APCSJZ - if you would like to follow up.
fultonco
2017-07-17 16:58:33
Herron Ave Bridge is closed until at least 11am Tuesday:  They are milling tonight and intend to start paving operations at 5am tomorrow. As a near neighbour, I'm super glad the bridge's moonscape pavement is finally being replaced, but also kinda stunned there was no advance notice whatsoever.  I'd had no idea this was even in the works and only found out because there was a flag man at the top of Herron Ave when I rode home at about 8pm; if I'd come a different way, I might've only known from seeing the workers on the bridge (which is visible from my front door)....
epanastrophe
2017-07-17 21:32:36
What's that Monty Python line?   No one expects the Pittsburgh paving crew.   I think the only way to avoid a sneak attack is to go to the paving website every week and look what's on tap.  If pgh put signs up the week before by affected areas people would be happier , of course. But, by God, they are paving the Burgh!  2 blocks at a time, but I'll take it.
edronline
2017-07-17 21:46:26
S Neville Ave has been occasionally had traffic delays and brief closures due to construction on gas lines I believe. The road is even more chewed up and bumpy than usual. I think they will be working on center ave after S. Neville, so be ready for that. Though, when it's all done, we should have a fresh layer of asphalt to ride on for both streets.
benzo
2017-07-18 10:45:52
From OTMA: "Greenfield Bridge Closure- Pocusset Street The Pocusset Street connect to Schenley park at the Greenfield Bridge will be closed beginning Wednesday, July 19, 2017 for an extended period of time. This closure is being done to accomodate construction work connecting the bridge into the park."
erok
2017-07-18 15:05:51
Tonight's surprise paving job is Liberty Ave between Stanwix and Sixth Ave/Seventh St, including closures of Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Streets down to Penn Ave.  The night of a home baseball game seems like a poor time to be doing that, but what do i know....anyway, those of you who work Downtown, watch out for that in the morning.
7/17 - 7/18 SMALLMAN ST ( 30TH ST TO 32ND ST ) 7/17 - 7/18 SPRING WAY ( 16TH ST TO 21ST ST )
Whoops? I didn't take Smallman tonight, but Spring Way is repaved between 30th and 31st, and milled between 31st and 32nd.  There is an...interesting...array of paving material underneath that asphalt, it turns out....
epanastrophe
2017-07-18 23:46:31
Yep, website folks switched it. Spring is being repaved in the 30s (you may recall it was repaved from 16th to the mid 20s not that long ago), and Smallman will get patch work in the big wide section. https://twitter.com/PGHDPW/status/887654592175124481
epanastrophe
2017-07-19 08:51:16
from the GNC Live Well Liberty Mile event: "I wanted to reach out to you about the upcoming GNC Live Well Liberty Mile on Friday, July 28th, 2017. This year’s event is back on a Friday night with the same course as in previous years where Penn Ave. and Liberty Ave. will be closed between Stanwix St. and 11th St. from 6:15 PM – 9:00 PM." http://libertymile.org/
erok
2017-07-19 08:59:29
My wife biked the 6 miles of the north shore trail yesterday and said that the subsiding portion by the marinas and what looks like an old post-gazette plant (it's the part that is quite narrow with fences on both sides) has been remediated.  So now if you're on the river side of the pavement you won't feel like you're sliding off into oblivion. She also mentioned one other part of the NST that's been improved, but I can't remember what she said now. I generally do try and listen to what she has to say.  :)  But I'm a guy, so it doesn't always work.
edronline
2017-07-20 09:07:53
The paving schedule for the upcoming week is put online every Friday, tweeted out, sent to everyone in the affected neighborhoods via Next Door, and robo calls are made to the houses/businesses affected on the streets where paving is being performed (this uses the PWSA customer database so if you haven't updated your number or if you rent you may not get the call). Obviously, people are going to fall through the cracks but that's significantly more effort to communicate paving than has ever been made in the past. They don't plan much further in advance because so many things can delay paving projects and mess up the schedule (most frequently utility problems such as a break during paving that now needs to be fixed or rain) so it will almost never be accurate a few weeks in advance.  
mjacobpgh
2017-07-20 20:39:03
@mjacobPGH:  I don't know what the answer is, but I do question the definition or even the notion of 'directly affected'.  The Herron Ave bridge doesn't have any residents, but it's one of only four ways in or out of my neighborhood; I pass the point it was closed to every morning and most evenings, and didn't have any idea it'd be closed until I got home Monday night.  It's also telling that even the Port Authority's detour notice for the 54 the day Herron was closed said they'd only been notified that afternoon. Who do you call for Schenley Drive Ext, which technically doesn't have any addresses on it at all? I don't live there, but I work nearby and have an event planned there tomorrow evening, and only found out it's being paved tomorrow because I happened to see the no-parking signs on my way out from work tonight.  Liberty Avenue is a major road through the center of Downtown, and people who were second in line at the traffic light at Stanwix on Tuesday didn't even know it was closed. "Significantly more effort" is good, but that doesn't mean there aren't still ways to improve.
epanastrophe
2017-07-20 22:08:11
Follow-up to the closed sidewalk on the downstream side of the McKees Rocks Bridge - I received this response from PennDOT: Customer concern 20170717-D11-APCSJZ for Dino Angelici has been closed. Closing Comments: Dino, thank you for you concern. Yes this sidewalk is closed and has been for some time now. It is closed due to deterioration of the underside of the sidewalk. There is currently no scheduled date for it to be reopened. The area has been reviewed and the proper signage is in place to close it from both ends.
fultonco
2017-07-22 10:37:05
As PennDOT pointed out, "proper signage is in place to close it from both ends", so clearly @fultonco is in error where he says "The peculiar thing was there was no such signage at the Route 65 end". :-)
paulheckbert
2017-07-22 15:43:39
The proper signage is in place. It just happens that the place it's in is a PennDOT warehouse.
steven
2017-07-22 17:54:39
No parking signs up on Centre from Millvale towards Neville on the Pep boys side, starting next week through mid September. I would guess to look out for construction making that stretch worse. But hopefully milling and paving will follow.
katzenmiau
2017-07-22 21:17:49
@Steven Thank-you.  There is a distinction to be made here.  I do not ride the McKees Rocks Bridge on a regular basis and confess that I do not have all of the many endeavors of Penn DOT on my radar screen.  However, I think that lends some credibility to my initial observations.  On the day when I described the initial confusing situation, I approached the intersection from Brighton Heights Boulevard.  I did not use the pedestrian crosswalks to get across the intersection, I proceeded across, on my bicycle, just like a motor vehicle would do.  While I have, in the past, ridden across the bridge in the traffic lane, I chose not to do so on this day because there was quite a bit of traffic, it was July 4th, and the prospect of a drunk driver being in the area came into my mind.  So, I hopped over the short jersey barrier,  in this initial area of the bridge.   Had I been truly behaving as a pedestrian, I would have used all of the crosswalks and seen Penn DOT's sign.  However, because I was initially behaving as a bicyclist/vehicle in traffic, not intending to use a sidewalk, there was no sign or any other indication that I had entered a closed area, until I arrived at the other end.
fultonco
2017-07-22 21:22:50
Addendum to my last post: The day I encountered the closed sidewalk was July 16th, not July 4th.  I did ride across the McKeesRocks Bridge on the 4th, but used the other sidewalk.  July 16th was a Sunday.  The ride was in the afternoon and the traffic was heavy.  The other parameters I described are the same.  The sidewalks are constructed in such a manner that they curve out along Route 65.  They do not go straight out from the bridge, across the intersection.  When coming from Brighton Heights, the signage would be very difficult to see, even if you know it is there.  Unlike the sign at Helen Street, which is tall and had bright orange markings, the one along 65 is short, silver, and the sign is black and white.  From Brighton Heights it is very difficult to see unless one goes slightly to the right on 65, uses the crosswalk, enter the sidewalk, and turn left.  Then the sign can be seen.  If proceeding with the rights and privileges of a motor vehicle, as is often championed in this forum, that small non-descript sign is going to be very difficult to pick-up.
fultonco
2017-07-23 10:56:26
@fultonco: I was being sarcastic. I believed you over PennDOT. Hence the smiley.
paulheckbert
2017-07-24 00:46:57
I was trying to be funny too (and didn't even use a smiley). I must admit though that I think it's reasonable for PennDOT to install signs only at the "normal" ends of a closed segment, and not put too much effort into clearly informing those folks who climb over a Jersey barrier.
steven
2017-07-24 02:27:56
Right here out of the gate, I question PennDOT. The bridge underwent a multi-year reconstruction in 2008-09. Prior to that, the upstream sidewalk was buckled a couple feet high, and had been that way for at least 10-15 years. As part of the bridge work, that sidewalk was rebuilt. Both sides were. But the "sidewalk closed" signs were merely tossed aside. So, one of the following is true. A) The sidewalks were rebuilt atop "deteriorated underside" structure, i.e., bad work by PennDOT contractors and/or PennDOT supervision approving the work. B) The bridge has deteriorated in less than a decade to the point where they have to close the sidewalks again, i.e., bad work by PennDOT contractors or PennDOT planners in designing the work to be done. C) The sidewalks and understructure are just fine, but PennDOT never picked up the signs after work ended in 2009. D) Like A, but PennDOT planned all along to do only a cursory job in making the sidewalks functional, intentionally leaving the "closed" signs up as CYA. Frankly, I doubt this is true, but including it for sake of completeness. My money is on C. Needed: Do a proper inspection of the bridge structure, especially the sidewalks. Hundreds of people a day walk or bike those sidewalks, signs or not.
stuinmccandless
2017-07-24 07:42:32
^ if you really wanted to pursue which one of Stu's options is true;  Every bridge gets inspected at some point and their findings written into a report.  Ask Penndot for a copy of the latest report & FOIA for it if they don't want to release it.
marko82
2017-07-24 10:03:28
Regarding the downstream sidewalk closure on the McKees Rocks Bridge, I thank you all for the information provided.  My goals, when initially having presented the subject, were to learn what was going on and why.  It seems that other than a few well informed individuals, others may not have know this situation was out there or why.  Perhaps, as a result others are now more aware as well and I've definitely learned a few things. I liked Stu's insight as to the history of the problem and potential occurrences that may have led to where the situation is today.  As Marko has suggested, I have made another inquiry with Penn DOT and asked for the most recent bridge inspection report.  I'll share it with you if they part with a copy. I don't know what FOIA means.  In my former life, I probably would have made a stupid joke but an old man has had to admit to himself that he isn't really all that funny or any good at sarcasm, so I'm attempting to give it up for good.  Your understanding during this difficult time is appreciated.
fultonco
2017-07-24 17:24:19
FOIA is the federal Freedom of Information Act and amendments, and/or the various parallel state laws which may or may not actually be called 'Freedom of Information Act'.  As a verb, it means 'to request under the FOIA'.  The Reporters Committee guide (https://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-law-resources/guides/open-government-guide/introduction) may be instructive as to what you can get through it and how to use it, especially in a state like PA which "historically…had a reputation as being relatively non-transparent". For a recent, municipal-level example, check out this twitter thread (and others) from Boston's Jonathan Fertig, who had to FOIA applications the city received for neighborhood slow streets : https://twitter.com/rightlegpegged/status/885652745944002560
epanastrophe
2017-07-24 17:47:19
Thank-you @buffal buffalo Also thanks  @edronline for the information regarding the Butler-Freeport Trail.  I was wondering how the trail fared after the recent flooding in Butler.  I recognized Cunningham Street, where they had the TV clip of the fellow riding a bicycle through water-bottle level water, as being relatively close to the trail.
fultonco
2017-07-24 20:27:54
Last night around 8:30pm I was headed home from work and noticed that on the outbound side of the Roberto Clemente 6th Street Bridge there were at least three construction trailers as well as some associated construction equipment taking up the parking spaces before the Isabella Street intersection. This means that the bike lane is right up against these, so use some caution. Also, the bollards on the outbound lane were almost entirely removed, along with a substantial portion of those on the inbound side. I have two theories about why this happened.
  1. There is some construction going to take place on the Matthews International Building that may have to stage equipment here.
  2. The DPW is doing work on the gas lines out front of PNC Park, as there are 811 markings on the pavement.
jason-pgh
2017-07-27 10:39:12
Picklesburgh on that bridge this weekend.  Vendor tents use the bike lanes and middle for walkers. So, the bridge will be closed starting tonight through Sunday.
edronline
2017-07-27 11:43:58
North Shore Trail from Rivers Casino up towards the jail had weed work done. While this is great, debris and garbage strewn across trail, causing hazards for trail users. Just 311'd it, but hopefully they cleaned it up already (doubtful). Use caution on this stretch, as there's quite a bit of shredded garbage that may be masking hazards.
katzenmiau
2017-07-27 14:43:03
How did all the crap end up on the trail?  Was it all in the weeds and as the weeds were being whacked it kicked the crap all over the trail? At least the weeds are gone.. :)  The part of the NST between the 31st street bridge and the 3 rivers rowing will be jungle in another 2-3 weeks.  not there yet, but will be soon.
edronline
2017-07-27 15:00:09
@edronline Looked like it got kicked onto the trail from weed whacking, and no one cleaned up after. Around 10:15am, I did not see anyone working on that end of the trail.
katzenmiau
2017-07-27 15:14:19
When that work is done, it's done by one person driving a tractor with an mower-arm, like this.  
rustyred
2017-07-27 18:56:52
Verizon trucks blocking bike lanes on either side of Millvale Bridge on Oakland end. Use caution when turning from Moorewood. Debris mostly cleared off of North Shore Trail. After 2+ years of commuting, that was the worst I had seen it with no clean up in sight. I've seen them mowing the divider between trail and River Ave, near 31st bridge, this week. Large ramp going up next to Free Rogers statue. Assuming it's for the flugtag during Ragatta this weekend. Plenty of clearance for trail users, but use caution for construction workers.
katzenmiau
2017-08-01 11:54:10
I've seen the billboards around for the flugtag thing, and I know what flugtag means auf Deutsch, and I do realize it is a Red Bull marketing thing, but what exactly is it?
edronline
2017-08-01 12:29:31
Bike lanes have been repainted on Bigelow blvd by Schenley plaza. Slightly different configuration at the intersection of forbes now (no narrow bike lane between turning lane and straight ahead lane).
benzo
2017-08-01 12:35:51
Red Bull Flugtag (German: flight day, airshow) is an event organized by Red Bull in which competitors attempt to fly home-made, human-powered flying machines, size-limited to around 10 metres (33 ft), weight-limited to approximately 150 kilograms (330 lb). The flying machines are usually launched off a pier about 9 metres (30 ft) high into the sea or body of water. Most competitors enter for the entertainment value, and the flying machines rarely fly at all.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Flugtag     So, basically, it's flinging garbage into the river.
rustyred
2017-08-01 13:53:40
Got it.  that should be a successful enterprise.  I'm thinking science solved this human/flying thing maybe about 100 years ago, though. In other, unrelated, news, I'm glad I'm out of town for the regatta.
edronline
2017-08-01 13:59:10
I can't find the thread on here.  But we're the weeds taken care of on the route 51 sidewalk? If not, can someone personal message me (or tell me who to personal message) as I know a post gazette reporter and there is potential interest in the story.
edronline
2017-08-02 06:28:09
NST super busy today with trail pruning upstream of 579 bridge, that flugtag ramp, a park n fish right in front of the floating police station, as well as several large camp groups on bikes. So be careful. 311ed 3 bollards down between West end bridge and prison.
edronline
2017-08-02 13:22:31
CSX railroad spread gravel through the fence, spilling onto the trail near Sandcastle. ~2017/8/5. I've contacted CSX, asking them to clean this up and to never do it again. (If they listen, it would be a first). Click for uncropped picture. https://flic.kr/p/Xpv8kS
paulheckbert
2017-08-06 16:14:16
Federal Street between the lower Perrysville corner and Alpine/Henderson has new asphalt! Woo hoo!
stuinmccandless
2017-08-06 17:13:57
WESA radio traffic-report reported a bicycle crash at Bigelow and Herron this morning, but I can't find any mention of it anywhere. Anyone know anything?
marko82
2017-08-09 07:51:51
WPXI had it as a pedestrian crash, but that was hours ago.
stuinmccandless
2017-08-09 10:00:16
Not unless you had a time machine. Per newspaper person stuck around 130 am today (Friday). But I thought the same thing when I first read the story.
edronline
2017-08-11 12:01:39
Apparently the walk signal on the south end of the Liberty Tubes is purely decorative at the moment. Does anyone know whether this is a 311 issue or a PennDot issue?
mrdestructicity
2017-08-14 08:21:13
I'd start with penndot for two reasons. A) they're supervising the construction and B) they actually have a quick response and you can trust their response.
edronline
2017-08-14 08:28:21
Bollards on NS Trail have been down for a while. I 311'd the first one by Newport Marina on 7/3, according to my email confirmation. Got a response on 7/9/2017 1:09 PM: "Waiting on bollards will replace when we receive." Shortly after, the flattened bollard moved up a spot and then a second one near by was flattened. Still unchanged. Bloomfield Little Italy Days is today through Sunday the 20th. Forgot about it and turned onto Liberty from S. Millvale; bad choice. Bike lane is mostly taken up by the vendor tents. Recommend using Friendship in the meantime.
katzenmiau
2017-08-17 09:55:03
Bike lane striping has been laid down on Forbes and on Bigelow, adjacent the the 'Cathedral of Learning'. Looks good! But drivers are having a bit of trouble adjusting (i.e. they're ending up in the bike lane, but they're trying to be good).
ahlir
2017-08-17 19:05:31
Some of the bollards seem to get knocked down all the time on the North Shore Trail because it looks like the users of the newport marina (the one closest to the West End Bridge) knock them down on purpose so they can park their boat trailer on the side of the trail. The other way they can reach the same spot is by going all the way around the block and getting on the trail a little bit further up towards the casino but they don't want to do this because they're lazy. It also seems like they're parking their boat trailers on City Trail property rather than on the marina property.  There are three trailers there now, so even if the city replaces the bollard there someone is going to knock it down again when they go get their trailer.   The bollard in question is right about here : 40.449744,-80.029443 The trailers are parked upriver, the marina is downriver.
edronline
2017-08-17 19:57:46
Does anyone know why the Jail trail is closed at Golden Triangle Bikes?
lee
2017-08-20 11:06:46
My best guess is that the jail Trail is closed there due to the Liberty Bridge closure this weekend.
edronline
2017-08-20 11:26:03
Street Closure on upper segment of S. Neville between 5th ave and the train crossing. Sidewalks appeared to be open to detour around it.   It's move in week @ Pitt. End of new forbes ave contraflow bike lane is a bit confusing to get to bigelow since they have bigelow closed in front of the cathedral. Use caution. Cops directing traffic were helpful, but so many confused drivers in oakland this week. Be careful.
benzo
2017-08-21 11:07:10
Third Ave rough and bumpy due to being stripped for repaving.   Also messaged 311 about overgrown sidewalk on east st between Mt. Pleasant and Venture
jstalnaker2112
2017-08-23 07:45:57
City of Pittsburgh is doing something with the train tracks o' death on River Avenue. Unfortunately I think they're just taking out all the metal that surrounds the tracks and leaving the rails.   This will be an improvement but certainly people will still fall given the angle of the rails.   However I may be wrong and the whole thing may be going.
edronline
2017-08-23 09:01:46
There is always water on the trail after a rain. The trench setup they built rid of maybe 50 percent to 75 percent of the excess water but the source of the water is run off from that plant.  Their entire lot seems like impermeable surface.
edronline
2017-08-23 10:39:27
The trench they dug hold only so much liquid (absolute measure not percentages); when it fills up, it overflows and slowly seeps into the ground. If we have enough rain, it will overflow; if it hasn't been completely absorbed, the next rain will cause quicker overflow. As we have been assured only that we will always have less than 40 consecutive days and nights of rain; expect overflows in the future...
yalecohen
2017-08-23 13:53:26
I talked to a couple people about the jail trail detour near Golden Triangle.  They said it was a trail resurfacing project and that they were also re-doing the compass decoration that's in the ground there.  Seems like this has been closed for months.  
lee
2017-08-23 17:26:40
If anybody out there likes to bomb down Hazelwood Ave like I do, beware of the subsidence around a cluster of access covers coming out of the curve about half way down (next to the ball field where Winterburn comes on from the northwest).  I've noticed it getting lumpier and lumpier over the past couple of weeks, but it has gotten to the point where if you come out near the double yellow lines it could really cause trouble.  Slow down and take it wide.
neilmd
2017-08-24 09:35:38
Regarding the train tracks on River Avenue, I'm sad to say that the city of Pittsburgh put the tracks back the exact way they were before. It looks like they fixed a 3 square foot area where they made the metal area lie flat. This doesn't help bikers at all.
edronline
2017-08-25 10:13:40
Tents are up on North Shore trail at the Casino.  They did this last year and the riding lane is severely limited with a few blind spots added for extra fun.  If possible I would take sidewalk and go around other side of the casino.   According to Riverlife facebook this is through Saturday afternoon.
jstalnaker2112
2017-08-25 10:24:36
Lots of milled pavement downtown on Saturday afternoon. Smithfield between 6th and 7th Avenues, part of 7th Avenue, I didn't see what else. Be careful.
stuinmccandless
2017-08-26 19:13:26
Glass strewn across North Shore Trail underneath the Ft. Duquesne bridge (just 331'd). Trail under the Andy Warhol bridge was blocked off by 3 trucks, I think PWSA. I had to dismount to get around them; recommend taking the street around that section during work hours. North Side has a water boil advisory, so perhaps related.
katzenmiau
2017-08-29 10:38:21
The boil water has to do with the lamphear reservior  and animal and bird poop getting into it.
edronline
2017-08-29 11:24:32
Sixth Avenue got a nice layer of pavement. I don't know if it is the final coat or not, but it's sure a lot smoother than all the broken concrete that was there. Still a lot of milled pavement elsewhere, as described above.
stuinmccandless
2017-08-29 21:19:41
Looks like S. Millvale between liberty ave and the busway bridge is being worked on. Road closed at liberty outbound from bloomfield to oakland. One way traffic lane was created  and flag men providing access, possibly for busses and traffic heading toward bloomfield. Looks like they are repaving the uphill bike lane side. I was able to ride the sidewalk towards oakland at the direction of a police officer who was directing traffic. YMMV.
benzo
2017-08-30 10:29:56
I rode opposite direction on S. Millvale, in line with the cars. Waited a while until we could go just before 10am. Rode almost on the center line where the road hadn't been dug up. Was instructed to get on sidewalk, but there were construction workers doing something on every corner so I kept in lane. Cop waved us through the red light. Would recommend going right on Mathilda and left on Yew street towards Oakland, Yew St through Bloomfield alleys to a light (Mathilda is hard to cross during daytime) to head towards Friendship or Downtown. Glass on North Shore Trail under Ft. Duquesne Bridge was cleared this morning.
katzenmiau
2017-08-30 11:23:35
Yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon, on the North Shore Trail,  just north of the casino - the jersey barrier with 2014 spray painted in blue on its north-facing side was turned sideways.  It was rotated enough that a larger vehicle could pass.  Not sure if that was done officially or not.  It was not like that on Monday.
fultonco
2017-08-30 16:13:39
Can you 311 this? I'm sure it wasn't official.
edronline
2017-08-30 16:18:39
S. Millvale St is milled and paved in ONE day! I'm impressed - City Public Works usually wait several weeks to pave a street after they mill it. On the other hand, I feel they should use the new asphalt on Boundary St instead. S. Millvale St was rather smooth before and was in no need for repair.
ninjaturtle0304
2017-08-30 22:47:55
Didn't 311 the jersey barrier on the NST.  I figured a couple of guys moved it, so a couple of guys (or gals) could move it back.  No need to bother the city.  I'll be looking for some help during my am and/or pm commute tomorrow.
fultonco
2017-08-31 17:02:21
Boundary could more benefit from widening (say by 6') and laying down stripes for bike lanes. And maybe some actually speed limit enforcement... Though I would settle for some tables like those on Gold. Seems like something the Oakland community org folks should be able to push. Or is this a job for BikePgh? What exactly is the process for making these biker issues bubble up to the surface?
ahlir
2017-08-31 19:58:05
I was honestly worried during last night's Underwear Ride that someone would hit one of now-elevated utility covers in the milled part of Smithfield, but I think all 165 of us made it through unscathed. Still, if you have to use this (6 Ave to Liberty), be very careful.
stuinmccandless
2017-09-01 06:15:56
FYI. Most of the side streets /alleys on the shortcut behind bakery square to shadyside (aka the north east passage?) are on the schedule to be milled for paving next week. Paving likely the following week. Some of the streets: Festival St, Social Way, Hailman St, Marchland St, Renning St http://www.pittsburghpa.gov/dpw/paving-schedule.html
benzo
2017-09-01 14:45:15
On Babcock Blvd, a bridge north of Millvale, near the 1717 Sigmas building, will be closed beginning 9/18. Or is it the 15th? In either case, look for equipment, flag people, mud on the street, already.
stuinmccandless
2017-09-13 12:29:57
"Railroad Crossing at S. 9th Street and Southside trail is now gone."   Jeez. I'd just started using that crossing to avoid the bumpy 4th St Belgian Block detour around the concrete plant.
rustyred
2017-09-13 12:55:35
In just 5-6 years the high line project may come to fruition and get rid of that south side detour. (: Also, from what I can tell, despite the signs at the southside detour the fence is peeled back on one side and easily bypassed on the other, so maybe the detour can be detoured on the nights and weekends?
edronline
2017-09-13 15:39:24
@edronline are you suggesting that if no one is watching it's ok to... say...e.g., ignore the four foot rule..? ..especially since there are no signs!
yalecohen
2017-09-14 02:57:38
I ride with an official 4 foot rule sign on my back. So, no.
edronline
2017-09-14 05:39:22
Friends of the Riverfront has gone through a lot of turmoil this year (Tom Baxter & Jeff McCauley both gone, turnover on their board, ...) so I figured I'd help out on trail maintenance. On Tuesday I cut all the knotweed along the Southside Trail at Keystone Metals (just beyond eagle viewing area). Cutting it before the weather turns cold weakens the rhizomes in which knotweed stores energy reserves. https://flic.kr/p/YuFsEk
paulheckbert
2017-09-14 11:13:35
Babcock is now closed between Greenhill Rd and Church Rd. There is a car/truck detour using main roads, and a bike-ped deyour using Greenhill and Church, with a half dozen wiggly turns up a big narrow hill. No surprise, cars are using the bike-ped detour heavily. This simply does not work as a detour. I don't have a good Plan B if Babcock is your main path of travel. If you're coming down Wible Run or Geyer already, you're fine. Not if you're coming down Thompson Run (which has its own closure), nor Babcock from the McKnight corner (s). Your only recourse is Peoples Plank or McKnight. Or Perry Hwy.
stuinmccandless
2017-09-16 20:30:12
Glass strewn across trail in front of the Korean War Monument. Already 311'd. Few other spots they still haven't cleaned up since game over the weekend.
katzenmiau
2017-09-20 10:45:35
Bayard Bike lanes have been blocked inbound for several mornings for about a block near tennyson ave (before the turn to bigelow towards the cathedral) , for tree work or something. Hope they are done today.
benzo
2017-09-22 09:32:55
As reported in another thread, the Jail Trail section from Grant St to Golden Triangle bikes (PNC building) has been reopened. Nice, smooth pavement.
chrishent
2017-09-24 21:20:27
Bayard/bigelow lanes inbound blocked again due to tree work this morning.
benzo
2017-09-28 09:57:56
The closed bridge on Babcock was open for traffic this morning. Still a lot of activity in the area, so be cautious, but at least the detour was not needed.
stuinmccandless
2017-09-28 11:14:20
Northbound Stanwix between Third and Fourth Ave is getting repaved. Finally. I know they were waiting to complete some utility work in that stretch, but that stretch had been bad for a couple of years.
chrishent
2017-09-29 08:57:57
Metal plates all over the place. Just watch it. They're digging everything up in a mad dash to complete underground work while the weather is pleasant. Nearly every metal plate has a nasty lip that will pop a tube, and then be slippy once you're up on it, if it's the slightest bit wet. I don't know how to get construction firms to lay down a tube of sand flat up against these plates, even if there only for a day or two. I can see that getting an asphalt strip there might be difficult, but sand tubes seem like off-the-shelf supplies. Throw a bunch on the truck on the way to the work site.
stuinmccandless
2017-09-30 10:54:42
Got bad news, followed by some good news. The Bad: A segment of the South Side Trail will be closing, probably by the end of the month, for approximately 15-18 months. This is due to the redevelopment of Station Square East, ie that huge parking lot to the east of the Smithfield st bridge. The closure may start as far west as Highmark Stadium (where the trail sorta makes a sharp turn), but there's a chance that it could start a bit closer. The reason they are pushing for the closure that far away is because they think it could be problematic to detour people thru Station Sq itself (think by that fountain). The developer is proposing a detour onto the streets within station square, and they'll be adding sharrows and signage to help. The City is currently working with them on the detour, but an important piece of this is that it's all completely on private property. The Good: The developer really sees the trail as an amenity and are basically highlighting the trial as the showpiece of the development. That means that they will first and foremost, be improving the trail significantly by widening it and adding landscaping and tree cover. Also, that strange entrance around that "sculpture" (or whatever it is) will be changed. While they will keep the sculpture in place, they will be flattening the land around it to make the entrance much more approachable and inviting. They also claim to be making a better, more intuitive connection to the trail from the Smithfield St bridge, as well as connecting, for bikes/peds only, to McKean St, so that you don't have to ride thru the gas station anymore. Overall, i get a good sense from these folks, who seem to view the trail as an amenity that they want to feature because it adds value to their property, as opposed to the way that other developers, for example one in the strip district that rhymes with muncher, view the trail as an annoyance.
erok
2017-10-03 10:25:04
This should be ok.  I've always felt like that area by the fountain is too narrow with too many bikes and peds together. Plus I'll tolerate a closure better for a bike friendly design than, say, that strip project.
edronline
2017-10-03 12:12:13
Bummer. Wondering what the detour is going to be on the east side between the terminal building and smithfield street bridge? On carson? A way through from McKean st to station square drive? Hoping there will still be some access across the 10th street bridge for casual riders as well, since construction may continue on that at the same time, limiting connectivity between southside and downtown.
benzo
2017-10-03 13:01:34
They will be connecting it to McKean. They currently are proposing a sharrowed section thru the parking lot, and they will be opening a gate up to allow bikes to McKean. We are trying to convince them to alter the parking lot some, in order to paint some sort of bike lane next to the sidewalk in the parking lot, if that makes sense. but no, it won't go up to E Carson.
erok
2017-10-03 15:37:45
Improving the connection between the trail and both sidewalks of Smithfield St bridge is really important. That connection has been awful forever; an embarrassment, a safety hazard to both cyclists and pedestrians; an invitation to bike the wrong way on a one way road. The connection is important because many of us biking from Oakland to downtown, or the Eliza Furnace (Swinburne) to downtown, prefer to take the Southside trail over the Eliza Furnace trail, to avoid the freeway's pollution and noise. Sometimes I bike Smithfield Bridge to downtown, other times I bike Fort Pitt using the sidewalk. The Fort Pitt bridge connection is important, too. I don't see a problem with cyclists using Station Square Drive or even the sidewalks of Station Square. Put up "Speed Limit 5 mph" signs. Cyclists already slow down like that to get past the fountain area, because it's so thick with pedestrians. Cyclists pass through pedestrian crowds in Market Square successfully, also. Detouring onto Carson St would put cyclists in danger; I hope we don't get that.
paulheckbert
2017-10-03 15:38:05
I think we pushed "submit" at the same moment. No it won't go up to E Carson. The option is in the middle of the parking lot, or on the edge of the parking lot, if they can make it work
erok
2017-10-03 15:39:30
Also, their plans will ultimately eliminate that parallel road to E Carson. They will be putting in a new road that's a bit further into the development, that will exit onto McKean for bikes and peds only.
erok
2017-10-03 15:43:06
Cool. Sounds like the detour won't really be too bad as long as it's well marked, especially if we get that connection to the mon wharf to the point finished soon ;)
benzo
2017-10-03 16:05:24
The Joncair sidewalk was blocked by a PENDOT sign, but a sidewalk user removed the offending sign https://flic.kr/p/Y66yHa
rustyred
2017-10-03 20:03:46
Reminder that this weekend is head of the ohio. That means that Millvale and the north shore trail down to PNC will be hopping all weekend
edronline
2017-10-03 20:13:00
That's just south of Fifth, on the little climb near the Pittsburgh Center For The Arts.
steven
2017-10-04 06:30:52
Lots of traffic, closed streets between bloomfield and oakland, I think N.Neville St from bayard to center and Wallingford st. Also Utility work on bayard with vehicles blocking bike lane (and working in manhole in bike lane) near bigelow / ohara  intersection. However, it looks like N. Neville is finally being milled for pavement from 5th to center today! Hopefully we will have fresh asphalt soon!
benzo
2017-10-19 10:11:39
Yes.  I went to Oakland this am and it was a cluster you know what. But they looked like they were paving Neville.
edronline
2017-10-19 18:48:50
As of this morning N. Neville between bayard and center was still closed by the looks of it. It was totally milled by the looks of it. Should be repaved soon. Till then, it's probably going to have off-on closures.
benzo
2017-10-20 09:17:06
I would be glad to help in keeping bike lanes, bridge sidewalks, Bike trails, and other bike infrastructure clear of snow during the Winter. Is anyone else interested in working with me on this?
zzwergel
2017-10-20 21:19:20
North Balph Ave in Bellevue, above Forest, milled. Look for raised manhole covers.
stuinmccandless
2017-10-21 22:40:12
  Heavy equipment on the North Side trail this morning....
rustyred
2017-10-26 09:55:15
  The Wood Ramp along the Jail Trail was being dismantled this morning.
rustyred
2017-10-26 09:59:39
Interesting, wonder if they plan to rebuild it?
benzo
2017-10-26 10:34:59
The DPW trucks that were there didn't appear to have large amounts of lumber, so... not rebuilding it today.  
rustyred
2017-10-26 11:56:51
Turns out they weren't totally dismantling the Wood Ramp, they were replacing the deck! There's a brand new surface this afternoon, Yaaaa!
rustyred
2017-10-26 18:53:48
Neville St. Between 5th Ave. and Ellsworth Ave. as well as first 50 to 100 feet of Ellsworth Ave. is milled. Traverse this area with caution.
zzwergel
2017-10-26 19:38:50
ESPECIALLY NOTEWORTHY FOR DIRTY DOZEN PRACTICERS: SYCAMORE has been milled, the entire length from Wyoming to Arlington. It's currently closed to motor vehicle traffic. The construction crew let a couple of us bikey types ride the hill: it's passable, but very gravelly and thus slippery. But expect heavy machinery laying down new surface to truly block the way sometime soon.
ornoth
2017-10-27 14:53:42
That's great news about Sycamore. That road was rough, making an already tricky descent borderline treacherous. The new pavement should also ease things on the climbing end of things.
chrishent
2017-10-27 19:19:33
Metal plates across full lane in bound Eckert just past don's diner. Jersey barrier North shore trail north of casino has been moved off the trail.
jstalnaker2112
2017-10-30 21:52:49
First rough layer of paving was done on N. Neville St between 5th Ave and Centre Ave. Keep an eye out for manholes and other utility covers. However, it's much less a moonscape.  Just waiting for the final finish layer of asphalt and this should be done!
benzo
2017-10-31 10:33:26
Sidewalk on Blvd of Allies is complete.  Still closed, but is complete and looks shiny and new.  Stairs are still closed, but they removed the tarp and some of the debris.
jstalnaker2112
2017-11-02 10:28:43
Last day or so N. Neville ave has been closed due to paving in the afternoon. Currently they have been closing parts of Centre Ave between Craig and morewood for milling and paving. They were laying down fresh asphalt on the outbound direction of Centre today! I would expect intermittent lane closures through the end of the week possibly.
benzo
2017-11-15 20:41:39
So pumped for fresh Neville and Centre. That area has been garbage forever. Saw them digging up Penn Ave in the 20s in the Strip around 6 tonight. 26th and 27th streets were blocked.
katzenmiau
2017-11-15 20:58:27
That Penn Ave stuff may be sewer work. They were doing the same by Salem's a few weeks ago.
edronline
2017-11-15 21:46:44
Federal Street on the uphill side had a lot of loose gravel between just below Henderson, to the lower Perrysville corner. I haven’t been down it in a long while, but I’d be careful there, too. Since the downhill side is on the Dirty Dozen course next week, I’ll take a closer look, maybe even bring a broom and shovel, and clear any potential danger myself before next week.
stuinmccandless
2017-11-18 23:40:43
Centre ave and n. neville st appear to be repaved. Maybe some minor work left, but it appears that most of the paving is complete. No painted lines on either road as of this morning... hoping the sharrows go back in on N. Neville and Centre during repainting.
benzo
2017-11-20 16:54:41
I checked out Federal downhill. No gravel, but I’d be on the lookout for wet/frozen leaves just about everywhere.
stuinmccandless
2017-11-20 19:29:17
Does the Dirty Dozen take place if it's snowing or if there is a dusting of snow on the ground?
zzwergel
2017-11-20 21:08:52
wrong thread, and why wouldn't it? also, the weather forecast for Friday and Saturday is not conducive for any snow sticking.  38 degrees for the Friday night low (remember, the ground is still warm) and 50+ for saturday during the day.  plus only precip this week forecasted is a tiny bit of rain Friday. (Besides a tiny bit of rain today)
edronline
2017-11-21 06:02:12
On nst this am I saw the alcosan guy turn around at the 31st bridge.  The bollards on the 3 rivers rowing bridge are locked upright. Alcosan obviously doesn't have a key.
edronline
2017-11-27 09:16:49
11/26 around 1 PM two motorcycles came off the trail onto River Street from under the 31st Street Bridge.  I assume the started in Millvale Park or Washington Landing.  I was on the 31 Street Bridge and couldn’t get more details.
durishange
2017-11-27 09:33:48
Yesterday I pushed on the bike rack between TJ maxx and burgatory at the water works and it fell over. It is bolted to the bricks bit the bricks are loose.   I'm going to contact jj gumberg today. Not hopeful it'll be fixed though.
edronline
2017-11-28 08:16:31
Penn Ave has been repaved between 31st and 26th Streets in the Strip. Very smooth and nice, but only center dotted line has been painted so far.
katzenmiau
2017-11-28 11:07:08
Yay!!!  This is great news!!!!
edronline
2017-11-28 20:27:20
@ed, I've noticed that too. Maybe I'll ride it tomorrow.
zzwergel
2017-11-28 22:08:34
There will be some disruption on the South Side Trail, between Hot Metal and Sandcastle next week. See below. Please be advised that CSX and its subcontractors are planning  demolition work of a dilapidated structure located adjacent to the Three Rivers Heritage Trail that will effect throughway access for several evenings next week.  Attached is the site plan of the proposed work . Signage and notices will be posted on both ends of the trail to alert users of possible delays and closures that may occur. A flagman will be on duty and the site of the demolition of the building to warn and direct traffic. Every effort will be made to move trail traffic safely through the site.
erok
2017-11-30 15:09:44
i believe any closure will be during the night
erok
2017-11-30 15:11:06
Can anyone suggest who I should contact regarding a suggested improvement to the northside trail? There is an informal "entry/exit ramp" next to the parking lot by the intersection of River Ave. and Heinz Street. It's gotta be a pretty heavily-used access point due to the bridge access to the strip and the Penn Ave. bike lanes to downtown. But it's just a skinny dirt single-track that is rocky and weedy and gets muddy. It would be nice if this was widened and paved, or at least improved a bit.
alleghenian
2017-11-30 16:06:56
Friends of the riverfront?  Unfortunately that stuff requires designs and plans, due to the way government works.
edronline
2017-11-30 17:17:25
Thanks for the heads-up erok, That building is kinda neat in an old legacy kind of way, but I know of at least one suicide that's taken place inside & it gives me the creeps when I go past it.
marko82
2017-11-30 17:59:59
@alleghenian I've been working for the better part of three years to figure out responsibility for trail improvements related specifically to access points. It's....complicated. Long story short, FoR is responsible for these types of maintenance and improvement projects, but does not have a dedicated funding stream to do so. It's also actually more difficult to get grants for this type of work than larger and more expensive trail extensions, which is what they focus on. Walk/Ride Northside (Northside Bike/Ped Group) is working on an initiative right now to improve connectivity between trailheads and homes in their neighborhood, and we intend to use the one you speak of as our pilot project. We're at the stage of raising money for planning so that we have something to take to funders for a larger construction grant request. And then find a project sponsor, and then produce contract documents, and then go to construction. It shouldn't be this difficult.
nmr
2017-12-01 09:34:52
Off the record and unofficially there could be a pirate trail improvement group.  A few shovels and some nice small diameter stones and an unofficial cut through could be made.  Just saying.
edronline
2017-12-01 12:55:15
WPXI had a segment stating that the old Fudrukers restaurant at the waterfront in Homestead is going to be set on fire tomorrow (dec 2nd) so firefighters can use it for training. (it was going to be torn down anyway). Since the GAP trail runs right behind this building I imagine it will be closed.  The news story did not mention anything trail related.
marko82
2017-12-01 17:39:31
Is that the bike rental building, or another one?
edronline
2017-12-01 22:15:54
Be careful in Millvale. Yesterday there was 1 pile of broken window glass in riverfront Park parking lot. Today 3. 1 more new pile in lot by 3 rivers rowing and 2 new piles in back in parking area on river Ave. Must be happening after dark.  
edronline
2017-12-02 08:19:55
How does glass end up in these places?
zzwergel
2017-12-03 14:46:03
Like this:  
rustyred
2017-12-03 17:02:28
Someone on Facebook stated that they saw a smash and grab during the day on River Ave. Keep anything valuable totally out of sight in your car. Seems like they only smash when they see something tradable/hockable/sellable for drugs/$$$
edronline
2017-12-03 19:16:16
(Edit: oops, wrong thread. Meant to post this on the local news stories thread.) Armstrong Tunnel rehab work coming in 2020. Preliminary plans to be displayed this Wednesday at the Allegheny County courthouse from 6 to 7 pm: http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2017/12/03/Armstrong-Tunnel-Allegheny-County-refurbishing-2020-Second-Avenue-Forbes-Avenue/stories/201712030068 It'd be nice to see if any bike/ped improvements will be made. From the article, it doesn't seem like much will be made on that front.  
chrishent
2017-12-04 07:46:04
The earlier notices about the trail closure on the Southside Trail / Great Allegheny Passage near Beck's Run Rd / Page Dairy Mart / Penn American Water pumping station http://localhost/message-board/topic/2017-riding-conditions-report/page/11/#post-348720 were vague about time. Now there are notices on the trail saying “demolition work along trail”, from 12/4 to 12/8, the trail “will have temporary closures to pedestrian traffic … The trail will be closed the evenings of 12/5 and 12/6 from 7pm to 4am”. I think we can assume that the closures will not just be for pedestrians, but for cyclists, also.
paulheckbert
2017-12-04 12:29:26
Good to hear the closures tend to be late in the day to minimize disruption.
benzo
2017-12-04 13:01:05
Strip District Trail still closed at 15th St. It has been detoured all year in such a way that makes it useless as a bypass for Smallman St. When is it going to re-open?
zzwergel
2017-12-04 16:22:12
Whenever buncher feels they are done. My guess would be sometime between this coming spring and perhaps never.
edronline
2017-12-04 20:18:40
What are they doing? Why possibly never?
zzwergel
2017-12-05 00:26:54
Per this Trib Live article (http://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/13011779-74/forecasters-wpa-in-for-colder-wetter-winter), compared to last year we will have a "typical" winter, which will be cooler and wetter. Also: "For those concerned with road conditions, Gov. Tom Wolf debuted a new online tool this year that will allow residents to track the progress of PennDOT plow trucks. The new map at 511PA.com will monitor about 40,000 miles of state-maintained roads and show when they were last plowed, using Automated Vehicle Location technology installed on the department's 2,200 plow trucks."
katzenmiau
2017-12-05 14:02:59
I sidnt like the trib article.  It quoted AccuWeathers forecast. The nws long term outlook is the opposite. It was poorly reported and contain factual errors. It obviously was not copy edited.
edronline
2017-12-05 15:58:32
I was in Bethel Park a few days ago and as I biked from the Lytle T station, I noticed that Corrigan Dr. was closed at Library Rd. Does anyone know when Corrigan Dr. will re-open? I do not want to have to bike down Lytle Rd. just to have to climb South Park Rd. which seems to be very busy.
zzwergel
2017-12-05 20:19:08
I studied about snowplow tracking mechanisms in my graduate GIS class in Spring 2000. And we’re only now getting it? Well, better late than never, I guess. My general grumpiness over the last 15 years is to a great extent attributable to knowing that the toolsets existed but were not being implemented. This stuff wasn’t even that new in 2000, as we were reading case studies from 1997-99.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-06 18:17:47
Corrigan is closed/reopened every work day. Something like 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
mikhail
2017-12-07 08:13:02
There were several large trucks under Clemente Bridge, in the blind underpass next to PNC Park stairs/Kayak Pittsburgh. I detoured around PNC Park so I'm unsure if there is clearance or how long they will be there. North Shore Trail was cleaned in last 24 hours, except for one section near West End Bridge. I have 311'd this.
katzenmiau
2017-12-07 11:18:55
I think for Corrigan they are doing sewer work since when I googled it they were closed in 2016 for the same thing.
edronline
2017-12-07 11:24:07
Also, I have noticed that during the late fall and winter on weekdays that more often than not the PNC park walkway is open. I've never been through, but next time it is open I'll go through it.
edronline
2017-12-07 11:25:00
There was a white Chevrolet van parked in the bike lane, 6th Ave Bridge at Fort Duquesne Blvd, on Sunday afternoon. PA YXZ-5820. A woman nearby was setting up on the sidewalk to sell Steelers sweatshirts or something like that. She said the van was hers and said she'd move it, when I asked, but she seemed defensive of her "right" to park there. https://flic.kr/p/21j4MGC
paulheckbert
2017-12-11 12:35:40
Regarding Corrigan Drive, I was biking there yesterday and talked with some Columbia Gas Company workers near the skating rink.  The Gas Company is installing new lines and doing some paving work.  They told me that the bike lanes are not closed while they are doing this work.  Just to exercise care and steer clear but you can ride through there while the work is ongoing.
fultonco
2017-12-11 21:26:59
Roads were pretty wet at about 10am. I imagine a lot of that will freeze for evening commute so be cautious of motorists and turns. Liberty Ave bike lane had a bunch of debris in it on the decent to the Strip from 40th. Clemente lane looked like it was close to freezing. North Short Trail from Science Center had puddles and was starting to get snow dusted.
katzenmiau
2017-12-12 11:13:53
Roads in Oakland / Squirrel Hill were fine ~5pm. I had expected the snow to not even stick on heavily traveled streets. This was not the case: unless salted, the roads were not wet. The ground is cooler than I thought it might be around this date. But no icy patches at the time. I'm told that the roads just now are just fine. I managed to find my next-level-up winter gloves. That, plus digging up the warmer hat, should take care of things until the weekend and its warmer temps. I admit I'm kind of a bit excited it's winter... More fun riding than on those dreary hot humid summer days.  
ahlir
2017-12-12 18:42:46
Does anyone know about maintenance on the Pocusset St. trail after the snow?
zzwergel
2017-12-12 20:49:22
Don't hold your breath. The city barely touches secondary and tertiary streets so my guess is the pocusset trail is way down the list.
edronline
2017-12-12 21:21:13
What does secondary and tertiary mean?
zzwergel
2017-12-13 12:56:57
Primary roads are big roads.  Penn, fifth. Forbes. Secondary and tertiary are smaller ones. Maybe, say, Wilkins is a secondary road and Amberson tertiary.
edronline
2017-12-13 15:33:30
I rode through Pocussett St this morning. It was fine. There was a thin layer of snow but nothing to worry about. After tonight, though, it may be different. Indeed, I don't think this gets any vehicular maintenance, especially with the Jersey barriers at each end. I do see the leaves removed occasionally, though.
jonawebb
2017-12-13 16:19:29
In Aspinwall, Freeport Rd is primary, Center would be secondary, any residential side street like what you live on is tertiary. Think of it in terms of what they're used for. A primary street is where you are most likely to find an ambulance or fire truck moving at speed. A secondary gets you into a neighborhood, but probably isn't your destination. Tertiary is everything else. I live on Eleanor St (tertiary), Perrymont is the 2ary, McKnight Rd and Perry Hwy are primary.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-13 17:09:18
5 pm in Oakland, thin layer of snow, watch your cornering, but it isn't really bad yet.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-13 17:11:05
@Stu, Would Sandle Ave. in your neighborhood be secondary, Louise St. be tertiary? @Jonawebb, Are there sometimes volunteers that shovel or plow it? Are the following streets winter safe:  Ellsworth Ave., Sennott St., Atwood St., Bouquet St., Boundary St., Neville St., Louisa St., Meyran Ave., Bayard St, Bigelow Blvd., O'Hara St., Oakland Ave., Darlington Rd., Beacon St., Schenley Dr., Circuit Rd., Serpentine Dr., Overlook Dr., Main St. (Lawrenceville), Foster St., Plummer St., Smallman St., Railroad St., Broadway Ave., Coast Ave., 40th St. 44th St., 45th St., Pleasant St. (Library), Brownsville Rd., (Library) Lytle Rd. (Bethel Park) W. Library Ave. (Bethel Park) 21st St. (Strip District), 32nd St. 10th St. (South Side) 18th St., (South Side), Hot Metal St. Brightwood Rd. (Bethel Park), Cypress St. (Bloomfield), Center Ave. (West View), Gold Way, Melwood Ave. (Polish Hill)., Tunnel Blvd., S. Water St., Herron Ave., and Brereton St.
zzwergel
2017-12-13 18:31:40
FWIW Pocussett Drive was the same tonight as it was this morning: a thin layer of snow, nothing to worry about. @zz, I wonder if it's volunteers or city workers. I've never seen anyone doing it, but I've seen the leaves gone. Sometimes I see what I think is a city worker cleaning the Eliza Furnace "chute" (and doing a pretty good job, BTW). It's all manual, with a rake and broom, I'm guessing. Maybe the same thing happens with Pocussett Drive.
jonawebb
2017-12-13 19:02:34
Did the person cleaning the trails have a bike? Also, What's the Penn Ave. and Forbes Ave bike lanes like?
zzwergel
2017-12-13 19:34:05
@zz, no bike
jonawebb
2017-12-13 20:05:55
What about the bike lanes I asked about?
zzwergel
2017-12-13 20:09:48
No, Sandle and the others near me you mentioned are tertiary. Perrymont is 2ary because it connects two primaries. So, Cumberland, Ingomar, and Three Degree are 2ary as well. Babcock is a sort of grey area between primary and 2ary, depending on where you are on it, so there is no clear distinction. A good description of a tertiary street is, it’s the last priority to be plowed. That said, the town plow went up Eleanor 10 minutes ago, so on an overnight 4” snowfall, some of the tertiaries will get attention...eventually. The other extreme is a 2“/hour storm; then only the primaries will get any attention, maybe the 2aries. As to bike lanes, it might be worth seeing how long it takes to get any of them clear.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-14 06:52:31
Pocussett St was pretty bad between Phillips and the trail (icy, not plowed). The trail itself had a couple inches of snow but wasn't difficult to ride on. The snow made a thick layer that gave some traction. Be careful going downhill. The Eliza Furnace trail had a thin layer of wet snow that was no problem. Hot Metal bridge snow was thicker and bumpy from where people had walked. Watch out for grooves left by other riders. You can get caught in them like the gap at the edge of a streetcar's tracks.
jonawebb
2017-12-14 09:21:02
If anyone has north shore trail reports (btwn town and Millvale) that'll help me decide if I should go jogging tomorrow am.   If I don't hear back I'll go anyway and give a report.
edronline
2017-12-14 10:48:13
They told me that the bike lanes are not closed while they are doing this work.
Except that they use them to keep huge piles of gravel and other materials, excavators and tractors. I was on vacation last 10 days of November and did some biking and pokemon hunting with my wife starting 10:00 and stopping around 15:00 and then one more session 19:00-00:30. There was no day when you could use bike lanes past 100 acres rd.  
mikhail
2017-12-14 14:49:14
Rode the bike lanes along Corrigan Drive today, 88 to 100 Acres.  All clear. Walking path is blocked with equipment at 100 Acres.
fultonco
2017-12-14 17:46:40
Lake Forbes A simple solution: Well, the lake would have to wait until the street is rebuilt. But let's no go here: Or, why am I paying taxes?
ahlir
2017-12-14 18:39:10
What happens if someone gets hurt because of snow or ice? Can't the Jersey barriers be moved in such cases to allow a plow truck through?
zzwergel
2017-12-14 19:20:30
I dunno, add a salt spreader? Should deal with the snow/ice issue until the next storm. I know that our weather this winter is supposed to get colder/wetter, but I don't expect 6-10" snow every couple of weeks. If that somehow happens we'll have more pressing problems to deal with. (Like, making it out of your tertiary home street.) These are all real plow "trucks", but narrower. On Forbes, pushing snow into the bollard line (which replaced the Jersey barriers) kind of makes sense: it would also absorb some of the slush/splash created by cars. With cold enough temps, we'd end up with mini-jerseys... How cool (cold?) is that?
ahlir
2017-12-14 19:30:12
if they plow the bike lane then the snow will end up back in street.  I don't think it'll stop in between the bollards.  so it is a no win situation right now.   Where I grew up in a suburb of cleveland the city had a mini plow thing that would plow all the sidewalks in the suburb.  That was super nice.  Of course, the city I grew up in has the highest tax rate in probably all of Ohio, but the schools are good and they even collect garbage out of your backyard.  You aren't allowed to put garbage out on the curb for pickup. And they would come around and check the sidewalks every year, and if yours was cracked or heaved they would replace it and charge you for it.
edronline
2017-12-14 20:00:36
if they plow the bike lane then the snow will end up back in street. I don’t think it’ll stop in between the bollards. so it is a no win situation right now. Fair enough, but it would depend on the how fast the mini-plows move. I've seen them move scary-fast up in Montreal. But, isn't this just a procedural thing: "Your max speed in bike lanes is [15]mph"? And if you have enough of these plows, that one guy won't need to slam through all city bike lanes in a half-day... Maybe it's time, again, for the following comment: Don't we have a Bike Coordinator person whose job is to think about these things? What is her job description anyway? Help me here. Because it apparently doesn't include occasionally reading the local message boards and replying to legitimate cyclist concerns. I mean, I don't have to be told "yes, this has been fixed"; I'd settle for "you're right it's an issue, we'll put it on the list". Acknowledgements matter to humans; it makes them happy even if you don't actually solve the problem at hand (I have the data!).
ahlir
2017-12-14 20:13:55
Pocussett Trail is pretty bad. Icy/lumpy. Recommend snow tires. Hot meal bridge is same, except not so icy. Lumpy, kind of snowy. Needs shoveled.
jonawebb
2017-12-14 20:41:09
I know the bike peds coordinator must do something important, but I've emailed her a few times over the past few years on issues and have never gotten a response back. She really should take the point with the city vis-a-vis the whole"we don't do sidewalks, that's penndot/county" issue and a whole host of other issues.
edronline
2017-12-14 21:05:56
25 percent snow and ice. Stadiums, casino 75 percent. Carnegie science center. 100 percent. West end bridge to prison.   Didn't do the rest of the trail.
edronline
2017-12-15 10:32:05
A power broom (sweeper) like the one shown in Ahlir's second photo is the answer here, not a plow. When DPW crews do get around to plowing paths and bike lanes, they have the habit of scraping off all but a thin sheet, which inevitably thaws and refreezes into a far slippier surface than the snow that was there in the first place. Related, don't shovel your sidewalks. Sweep them! Once upon a time, Peduto had a policy for prioritizing sidewalk and bike lane removal. If only policies could act.
nmr
2017-12-15 10:57:17
I must visit the Hot Meal Bridge that jonawebb mentioned, check out the buffet.
paulheckbert
2017-12-15 11:21:21
North Shore trail from 6th St Bridge to Millvale covered in ice and snow. Piney Fork Rd. bike track slush and ice covered. Montour Trail between Piney Fork Rd. and Brownsville Rd. covered in ice and snow. Upstream 40th St. Bridge Sidewalk nearly impassable. Did not visit Jail Trail, Cattle Chute, or Junction Hollow Trail. I'll post a 311 report for problems in city limits. 311 ID: 203399--N. Shore Trail. 203400--40th Street Bridge.
zzwergel
2017-12-15 18:38:31
I must visit the Hot Meal Bridge that jonawebb mentioned, check out the buffet. When I went, they had run out of t.  
steven
2017-12-16 01:53:01
NST between Millvale and 31st bridge untouched. NST between 31st bridge and stadiums-plowed but still icy. Use River Ave.   Will be 40 today. So will melt.
edronline
2017-12-16 10:42:51
@edronline, I'll check it again tomorrow.
zzwergel
2017-12-16 20:46:41
I wrote this last winter. Time to read it again, and this winter, get some experience trying to clear the trails properly. They don't have to be autonomous yet, but if someone could run a brush sweeper the length of the EFT once after a 2" snowfall, to get some readings, that would sure make a great baseline. Autonomous bike paths snowplows To quote myself from the post: If we care enough to mow the grass in our parks in the summertime, we should care enough to sweep the bike paths in the wintertime.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-17 13:50:27
I like the idea of autonomous vehicles clearing bike paths, and bike lanes, and bridges, and streets. We have two major players in town, Uber and GM. Surely there must be a decent market for municipal and state road clearing AVs. Not to mention corporate parking lots. Bike paths should fit right in. Or maybe the iRobot (Roomba) people are on it already. Pittsburgh would be great location for developing and training these things. You could start with bike paths: only bikers would complain when things go wrong...
ahlir
2017-12-17 18:54:14
So, how do we get the ball rolling here? I'd nudge @Erok or @Scott or one of the other staff at Bike-Pgh, read over my rambling post above from 11 months ago, and draw up a proper plan. Make arrangements to borrow or rent or hire a brush sweeper like the Wyndham downtown uses to clear their sidewalks, and then the next 2" snow, run it the length of the Jail Trail and back. Just once. Get some numbers. Maybe even roll video or take Strava readings. Make some phone calls. This can't be that difficult, and winter is only getting started.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-17 22:36:22
I ran into @pinky a bit ago, and she was thinking about the problem of the city, PennDOT, etc., arguing over what was whose to clean. Taking what I said above, the solution to all this is for the city, PennDOT, etc., to agree how much was whose to clean, and then each fund a public-private partnership, or P3, to operate a trail-and-bridge-clearing service -- proportional to how much there is to clean. That's why we need numbers. A brush truck can't do staircases, and arbitrary ownerships of adjacent infrastructure makes separated maintenance unapproachably difficult -- probably why nobody's doing it. So, hand it to the P3, and let them do everything, apportioning shovel crews and powered equipment of whatever sort, to get them clear and get it done as early after a storm as feasible. To me, Bike-Pgh is the ideal organizer here, and as far as I'm concerned, can be the P3 to get the work done. Exactly how it's set up, I don't care. But I do care that we get some measurements of how much effort goes into clearing bridge sidewalks, staircases, bike paths -- whatever we non-automotive travelers use on a snowy morning.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-18 13:41:38
An actual P3 requires a mechanism for revenue generation; a way for the Private entity to make back their investment. Something like city-wide snow removal would have no logical manner to accomplish this, no way for the concessionaire to make money. Public agencies have begun doing what I call "Home Mortgage" P3's where the Private entity supplies upfront construction capital and the Public entity pays them back, with interest, over a given time from taxes and fees collected, but this snow removal program would be almost exclusively labor cost - operating expense - giving the city little reason to buy in.  If they had that money, they'd just hire more laborers, or contract labor. This problem just simply comes down to cost. Until our robot overlords take over, paying people wages and benefits to sweep sidewalks and steps by hand will be hugely expensive, relatively speaking. Maybe some guaranteed employment-type program is created, at which point necessary but mundane tasks like trash picking and sidewalk sweeping are funded. But until then, it'll take a massively unpopular policy shifts toward taking plows off the street in favor of laborers sweeping sidewalks for anything to change.
nmr
2017-12-18 15:11:14
Does anyone want to get together with me to shovel some of the trails? I do not have a means of carrying a snow shovel.
zzwergel
2017-12-25 12:41:33
This would be the perfect time to run a broom machine on all the trails and bike lanes, as I described in an earlier post. A single sub-2" snowfall, little traffic, and it will remain cold for a few days so nothing will melt on its own, and any that does will refreeze and be troublesome. Z, I'd love to help, but I'm actually on-call at work today and tomorrow, so shouldn't leave the house for long. What you need, though, is someone to show up with a carful of tools. Today, I'd pick a push broom, a regular room-sized broom, and a wide-bladed snow shovel. Maybe two of each. Two warm bodies could clear something like the 40th St Bridge sidewalk, on one side, in a couple hours time, I think.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-25 14:22:52
@Stu, I am leaving with my family for Christmas in about 30 minutes. I cannot do anything today either. Wednesday or Friday might work. Does anyone from the South Hills want to join and shovel walkways near some of the South Busway shelters like Central which has steps and a walkway leading to it from Brookline and Overbrook. I can think of some shoveling sweeping near South Bank as well that might need done.
zzwergel
2017-12-25 15:43:56
311 ID. 203400 was closed because County responsible for 40th St. Bridge.
zzwergel
2017-12-25 15:45:29
I make no operational distinction between keeping walks cleared in the winter and keeping grass mowed in the summer, on public right-of-way. At least in terms of cost. Scheduling is more difficult, I realize. But it boils down to: mowing grass we care about, clearing sidewalks and bike paths we don't.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-26 08:22:14
Anyone know the conditions of the GAP trail from McKeesport -> Sandcastle -> Southside -> Fort Pitt bridge? Hoping it isn't a sheet of ice.
bree33
2017-12-27 08:19:41
Last night rode Junction Hollow Trail /  EFT / Smithfield St Bridge Path / Stanwix / Penn Ave Bikeway and the whole way was mostly ice-free except by the 2nd ave parking lot adjacent to the County Jail. There it was very icy, but somewhat avoidable if you were careful. Otherwise just look out for patchy ice where water may have pooled.   Didn't check out hot metal bridge. This morning Friendship / S. Millvale / Bayard bike lanes were mostly clear as well with the occasional chunk of ice near intersections. Very ridable. The curve on Friendship ave eastbound near the west side of the park was not cleared but is pretty easy to avoid.  
benzo
2017-12-27 09:25:42
I biked into the city today. The East St bike lane is mainly clear, except for directly across from the big church. You have to get in the lane for that couple hundred feet. The Gerst Way bridge and ramp is snow covered and icy. Use East St. (Today, I did not encounter any surly councilwomen.) The Penn Ave bike lane is bare from Tito Way out to about 12th St. Beyond that, there is a bit of ice, but not too bad, though I didn't venture beyond 14th. Just slow down and watch it, as you'd be wise to do anywhere, especially if you have to turn. Bits of ice buildup nearly everywhere, and given it'll be way below freezing through the weekend (and more snow), just general caretaking is in order.
stuinmccandless
2017-12-27 19:08:27
  1. I wanted to take my snowblower to keystone metals, but I drive a mini.  No luck getting it to fit.  I live in Irwin.  If anyone is interested in winter maintenance and can help me, drop me a pm.
durishange
2017-12-31 11:26:13
Went for a ride around Oakland and East Liberty today to look at some of the bike lanes. Negley Lanes could best be described as "slushy mess" throughout. Some parts are more clear than others but overall not rideable. Liberty Avenue bike lanes before the Bloomfield Bridge are ok in some parts but overall still slushy. Forbes Avenue is completely snowed in, doesn't even look like it has been touched by salt. Bayard Lanes are also not looking good. I 311'd each of these, but don't expect much. The rest of the car lanes look clear though.
jason-pgh
2018-01-01 14:19:05
This morning well-travelled streets were wet, with no icy patches (that I ran into). No bike lanes were cleared anywhere I rode. You have to take the lane at all times. Good thing it's a holiday with light traffic. Penn Ave lanes had bike tracks but it looked iffy for riding. Lanes elsewhere were just not passable. Maybe if you got a fat bike with studded tires for xmas you could make a go of it and report back. I understand from a x-country skier that the Junction Hollow trail is uncleared, but well-trodden by walkers. In fact it makes it hard to ski on the trail. I suspect that bikes would also be challenged.
ahlir
2018-01-01 14:54:24