2012 MS150

Tagged: 

← Back to Forums

rzod
Participant
#

So as far as getting up there and back: do people carpool or is it every man for himself? I’m hoping there a way for a noob (referring to myself) to get a ride, even though I don’t really know most of you IRL outside of some casual chit-chatting during a Flock. I kind of feel like I’m crashing a party.

robjdlc
Participant
#

If you’re with team thick, we all meet at thick (usually around 5am) and carpool up.

Shawn
Participant
#

I’m 75% sure that I’m signing up for the ride. I can take 3 others with me if anyone wants to carpool. Hit me up closer to the date.

sew
Participant
#

Forgive me if this was posted before but here are the routes, for those of us that like that sort of thing.

http://bikepax.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BIKE_PAX_RouteInfo

rsprake
Participant
#

Thanks! The 25 mile Thick training ride yesterday had 1,781 ft of climbing.

sew
Participant
#

@rsprake

My SO is a bit nervous about riding the MS150 so we did training rides Saturday and Sunday. 25 miles with 1,660 feet and 32 miles with 2,096.

Not too worried about the climbing just getting the sensitive areas ready for that many hours in a saddle!

Kayla
Participant
#

This is a lot closer than I realized. Exciting!

I know the first ~25 miles of the first day pretty well; it should be a nice ride.

stefb
Participant
#

Lantiseptic cream is what I use on my “junk”, sew. I use it preventatively and it has worked on the last 135 mile ride I did. I think it would work well for both males and females.

I am still trying to decide if I want to do the whole thing (century option) on a fixie. How badly do I want to punish my knees?

Kayla
Participant
#

I still plan on riding fixed, but no century. Unless I’m feeling some magic that day or something.

rsprake
Participant
#

Does anyone know if the routes Salty posted a few months ago are still valid? I want to add them into my GPS.

Day 1

Day 2

rzod
Participant
#

Questions for the campers: We get two luggage tags, so how do you handle your tent, sleeping bag, etc? Put your clothes/toiletries in one bag and stuff your camping gear in another, jumbo sack? Backpack (I don’t have one)?

rzod
Participant
#

Also: Holy crap this is 5 days away.

Nick D
Participant
#

Taking my bike apart for some new paint because it didn’t feel right having a bike ready to ride a week in advance.

melange396
Participant
#

regarding routes, is there a map for the century option as well?

robjdlc
Participant
#

rzod: re-camping bags, you got it. you get two paper tags, just gotta figure out how to make that work, even if it means a giant duffel bag for your camping stuff.

icemanbb
Participant
#

I’ve gone the duffel bag route. A backpack is a little easier to tote around (IMO) if you’re trying to manage bike and bag at the same time.

melange396
Participant
#

robjdlc
Participant
#

Crushed it. Best times, strongest finishes I’ve ever had. Photos to come in a few days.

stefb
Participant
#

i think i had the best time today, even though i was fixed. my training payed off. yesterday i was fine until the century option. i slowed down to make sure i saved enough energy to finish. even then, i finished in great time. i had some hip issues today, but nothing ibuprofen couldn’t help with. i feel great now. just thirsty and i think i should go to bed at a decent time.

boostuv
Participant
#

Interesting, I always thought this was a ride not a race. Won’t say I didn’t do my fair share of pace-lining out there but lets be real…

bikeygirl
Participant
#

Gotta admit I kinda-raced all day today at the MS150, and yes: t*his is a ride not a race* but since I had a sub-par finish the first day after SAG the end, I really wanted to push myself today…..

stefb
Participant
#

I like to get out of the sun as soon as possible this time of year. I get light triggered migraines. So yeah I kinda pick up the pace on this ride, but I can go fast and enjoy myself. It was great to see everyone in one place this weekend. And thanks to everyone who did this. My aunt has MS.

rsprake
Participant
#

I had a lot of fun! The route was awesome despite the searing sun and the support was incredible. Glad to have met and talked to so many of you. I will be there next year.

reddan
Keymaster
#

Yeah, good fun indeed. Hanging with Kyle on the century was a good way to spend the first day…hammering on the rolling hills of the Day 2 loop route was a blast, even though I jacked up my hamstrings a bit.

The loop route was (IMO) almost as hard as the Day 1 route…much tougher than the lake route. Fun, though.

I think I’ll likely alternate lake and loop in coming years.

Greasefoot
Participant
#

Awesome 2 day ride! I was afraid I did not train enough but ended up the best I’ve felt in a long time.

rzod
Participant
#

This was such a great experience. As a first timer, I wasn’t sure what to expect and had quite a bit of anxiety going in. What really struck me was just how nice the volunteers were. I didn’t encounter a single person who seemed like he or she didn’t want to be there. Everyone was super friendly, helpful, and really appreciative of the riders. You’re treated very well and it helps you relax and have a good ride.

If you were considering doing this ride and didn’t for one reason or another, I highly recommend you give it a try next year (and join Team Thick). Others have said this before, but there are all types of riders of every ability level riding all types of bikes. There were people who looked like they were in a triathlon to people on department store mountain bikes.

stefb
Participant
#

Kayla
Participant
#

I was concerned beforehand because I had been sick for awhile and was riding fixed, but I made fantastic time both days and don’t feel too terrible today. Especially considering how little sleep I got both nights, and how much beer was consumed on Saturday.

sew
Participant
#

“Did a google search and found some photos.

http://buckeyes.smugmug.com/Events/MS-150-Escape-to-the-Lake-2012/23480424_dLQZGR

288…a blurry picture of me sitting up going into the rest stop in Grove City.

…or 289 where I’m less blurry.

stefb
Participant
#

I said I found some photos.. Not good photos or in focus photos … Just some photos. haha.

bikeygirl
Participant
#

Ha! I found one of me that looks ok!!

This is low-res, but will prolly get the good downloads later!

edmonds59
Participant
#

Pro. :)

bikeygirl
Participant
#

AND!!! Here’s another one finishing the 2nd Day!!!!

I know it looks dorkie w/me hoisting my insulate bladder to the bike’s handle bars, BUT it was worth it so I didn’t have to carry anything on my back & could still keep cool!!!

Anonymous
Inactive
#

@rzod: I think your account just convinced me to sign up for this next year!

bikeygirl
Participant
#

@Pearmask: You definitely should do it next year!!!! :D

rzod
Participant
#

Uh, most of those photos are… disappointing. Maybe the good ones are still being processed? I’m waiting to see Rob’s.

Pearmask, you should do it! Join Team Thick! Resistance is futile!

cburch
Participant
#

“Some of these are quite blurry due to motion, ” yeah because they don’t make cameras with a high iso and shutter speed to deal with that…

dmtroyer
Participant
#

@cburch yeah… that’s unfortunate. hopefully the photographer learned a lot.

stefb
Participant
#

He was the photographer last year.

sew
Participant
#

There is a note that pictures taken with his “K-7” are better…he should throw the other one away if the K-7 is better?! I found better pics later in the set. They look like day 2, lake route.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by