Trails and Trail Organizations
For general maps of all the trails by county, click here. Otherwise, if you are looking for a specific trail, continue below.
- Allegheny Highlands Trail – The Allegheny Highlands Trail, now nearly completed, links Washington DC to Cumberland, Md via the C&O Canal Trail, with a series of hiking and biking trails in Western Maryland that connect into Pennsylvania, creating a continuous trail of 380 miles from Washington DC to Pittsburgh.
- Allegheny Trail Alliance – ATA is a coalition of seven rails to trails organizations building the Great Allegheny Passage, a 150 mile biking and hiking trail connecting Cumberland, MD and Pittsburgh, PA and Washington, DC. The Montour Trail (more info below) is also part of the ATA and will connect the Passage to Pittsburgh International Airport, the Panhandle Trail at McDonald, and Coraopolis, PA.
- Allegheny Valley Trails Association Recreation Trails of the Allegheny National Recreation River Oil Heritage Region of Pennsylvania
- Armstrong Trail Trail in Armstrong County that services the towns of Templeton, Canfield, Kittanning, and Ford City.
- Butler Freeport Community Trail A 20 mile trail in the remarkably diverse Buffalo Creek Watershed in the southeast quadrant of Butler County.
- Ghost Town Trail – The Ghost Town Trail totals 36 miles in Indiana and Cambria Counties, Pennsylvania. The Ghost Town Trail derives its name from numerous mining towns that once existed along the railroad corridor.
- Montour Trail – The Montour Trail is a multi-use non-motorized recreational rail-trail that will ultimately extend 46 miles from Coraopolis to Clairton. Currently, multiple sections of the trail totaling over 40 miles are completed. New sections are being added each year.
- Panhandle Trail – Connects to the Montour Trail in Walkers Mill, PA and runs to Weirton, WV
- Steel Valley Trail Council – A member of the Allegheny Trail Alliance and the Regional Trail Corporation. SVTC is a key partner in the development of the Great Allegheny Passage. McKeesport to West Homestead.
- Three Rivers Heritage Trail – Friends of the Riverfront are the developers and stewards of this multi-use trail and greenway system radiating from the City of Pittsburgh. Running for 37 miles along both sides of the Allegheny, Mononghahela and Ohio Rivers, it is an almost complete public route for cyclists, walkers, runners, and in some places rollerbladers.
- Westmoreland Heritage Trail – A scenic bicycle and walking trail covering 8.5 miles from Saltsburg to Delmont and 9.3 miles from Export to Trafford.
- West Penn Trail – The West Penn Trail is a 12-mile rail-trail between Saltsburg and Blairsville. The West Penn Trail is an important link in the Pennsylvania Millennium Legacy Trail system. The Legacy Trail generally follows the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal and Portage Railroad that operated from 1830 to 1864 between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg.
- Youghiogheny River Trail – The Yough River Trail is designed as a non-motorized, shared-use, recreational trail for bicycling, walking, fishing and canoe access, hiking, nature study, historic appreciation, cross country skiing, picnicking, and horseback riding. Spanning McKeesport to Meyersdale, it has 100 continuous miles of arguably the most beautiful trails in the country.
- Venture Outdoors – Leads hundreds of outdoor tours in the region, including many bike rides.
- Wilderness Voyagers – The largest bike tour operator in Pennsylvania operating tours on the GAP/ C& O and in 10 other Pennsylvania counties
- Bike the Burgh – Unique urban bicycle tours featuring history, art, and architecture – Pittsburgh
- Bike the GAP – individual and group tours of the Great Allegheny Passage!
- Bicycle Heaven – (Northside) R.J. Casey Industrial Park, 1800 Preble Ave (412) 716-4956
- Pittsburgh Bike Share – Healthy Ride
- Golden Triangle Bike Rental – (Downtown) First Ave and Eliza Furnace Trail (412) 600-0675
- Bicycle Heaven (Northside) R.J. Casey Industrial Park, 1800 Preble Ave (412) 716-4956
- The Wheel Mill (Homewood) Indoor Bike Park, 6815 Hamilton (412) 362-3693
- Click here for a full list of local and regional bike shops
Local Cycling Clubs, Groups, and Teams
- Allegheny Cycling Association – Racing
- Beaver Valley Velo – Road Riding
- Carnegie Mellon Cycling Club
- Major Taylor Cycling Club – Urban Cycling Club
- Mt. Lebanon Cycling and Caffeine Club – Founded 1988
- Panther Cycling Club – University of Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh Alleycat – Messenger Style Racing
- Pittsburgh Freeride and Downhill – Stay up to date with the latest developments at Seven Springs and Dr J and all the other good stuff going on in Pittsburgh’s gravity scene
- Pittsburgh Mountain Biking
- Pittsburgh Randonneurs – Organized mid- & long-distance rides
- Trail Pittsburgh – Shared-use trail advocates
- P.O.R.C. – Pittsburgh Off-Road Cyclists
- Steel City Endurance – Women’s and Men’s Cycling Team
- Team Caffeine – Cyclists who like coffee
- Western Pennsylvania Wheelmen – Organizes lots of local rides
Women and biking
- Black Girls Do Bike – Started here in Pgh and now has chapters nationally
- Black Women Bike: DC
- Human Vortex Trainings Womens Cycling Club-Team – solely for Women who want to have a fun, social, & supportive environment in which to increase their cycling capabilities, and expand their cycling network
- Women Bike by the League of American Bicyclists
- Women Bike PHL
- WABA’s Women & Bicycles Program
- WE Bike NYC
Regional and State Cycling Clubs, Groups, and Teams
- Centre Region Bike Coalition
- Laurel Highlands Off Road Bicycling Association
- Lebanon Valley Bicycle Coalition – A club that works on advocacy issues
- PA Walks and Bikes – State-wide bicycle and pedestrian advocacy group
- Pennsylvania Cycling Association – Racing in PA
- The Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
- Walk and Bike Berks County
PA Bicycle Touring
Other Local Outdoor Recreational Resources
- Venture Outdoors – The local outdoor recreational organization that makes it easy for you to get outside.
- ExplorePAtrails – One stop site for all of Pennsylvania’s trails. Find trails, info, etc.
- MTB Project – Find local singletrack
Local Books, Publications, Goods
- Dirt Rag – One of the world’s premier mountain bike mags, located in Pittsburgh!
- The Bicycle Book, Wit, Wisdom & Wanderings – by Jim Joyce (editor)
- Urban Velo – a city-focused bicycling publication from Pittsburgh.
- 400 Bike Rides Out of Pittsburgh by Oscar Swann
- FreeWheeling Easy in Western Pennsylvania by Mary Shaw and Roy Weil
- Bicycle Times Magazine – Daily cycling from the makers of Dirt Rag
- Aero Tech Designs Cyclewear – Locally made cycling apparel